Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After six years with my smart Passion, I took it to my previous mechanic to fix a noisy exhaust. I said, "If you can't work on it, I'll take it to Mercedes." He said for anything he couldn't do, he'd tell me to take it to the dealer, so we were in agreement.
I have a question for the forum, but first. . .
One of the early issues with smart was parts availability. That did not appear to be an issue now that the car has been here for a few years. Another was shops having an appropriate lift - perhaps the rise of Mini and Scion and other smaller cars has helped us, it was not a problem for my mechanic (he has a couple of lifts and one can handle the smart). Another question has been the technology. There are certainly some less familiar technologies on any newer car, and smart has plenty of things the average mechanic may not have seen. There, I trust my long-time mechanic to opt out.
So, I'm happy to go back and pay regular rates, get fast appointments, a ride home (my mechanic lives a few blocks from me and actually put my car in the garage - which I found out when I called to ask about progress, he said, "Look in your garage." No car wash, but why pay double the prices just for a $12 car wash (which is what the local car wash charges for inside and out.)
THE QUESTION
Mercedes would likely flash the computer with any updates as a regular part of maintenance (I assume). Are we still seeing updates on the 2006 models? Would the dealer answer that query and tell me if there had been an update (honestly) so I could make an appointment and ensure I'm up to date? Other than when my mechanic says he is opting out of a repair or maintenance item, it's the only thing that would seem to take me back to the dealer.
Thoughts? Opinions? Actual experiences, anyone?

·
Super Moderator
28,241 Posts
If you have a 450 model it's very unlikely the Mercedes/smart dealer will even look at it, much less have any computer updates available. :)

Or did you mean 2008 models?

·
Super Moderator
1,251 Posts
For any year Mercedes, you can call 1-800-FOR-MERC(EDES) and find out if there are any open recalls, service campaigns, updates, etc. You need to have your VIN handy. I would assume calling 1-800-smart-USA would yield the same info.

Len

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
2008+6=2014
I have a 2008 Passion.
If it were a 450 I'd have figured I was on my own long ago.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts