Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
Smart Fortwo ED3 451
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello people.

Could anyone tell me whether it would be possible to cut and use a key which has neither remote control, nor transponder on it.
I need such a key in order to be able to leave it in position number one in the ignition, so I can leave the A/C on, and lock the doors with the original key.
Please help.

Regards.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Yes. It’s possible. You can order blanks on the internet and have them cut at a local locksmith that has “laser cut” or “internal tooth” key cutting equipment. My local locksmith will cut them for $25.

A key without the transponder will open the driver’s side door and turn the ignition key, bit won’t start the car.

·
Registered
Smart Fortwo ED3 451
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes. It’s possible. You can order blanks on the internet and have them cut at a local locksmith that has “laser cut” or “internal tooth” key cutting equipment. My local locksmith will cut them for $25.

A key without the transponder will open the driver’s side door and turn the ignition key, bit won’t start the car.
Thank you, but the main question is, is all that safe to the immobilizer system?

Regards.

·
Registered
642 Posts
The car’s computer will recognize that the transponder isn’t in the ignition and the car won’t start. Other than that, the electrical systems in the car will be turned on. Thank he Smart 451 doesn’t have an “accessory” key position so all of the electronics that are turned on when the car is running, but without the benefit of the engine running to keep the battery alive. Without the alternator turning, your car’s battery will die very fast, especially if the blower fan is running. To keep the battery from being damaged, you should plan on having something connected to the battery to keep the voltage up.

I should mention I’m referring to a 451 ICE. I can’t comment on the ED, 450, or 453.

·
Registered
Smart Fortwo ED3 451
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The car’s computer will recognize that the transponder isn’t in the ignition and the car won’t start. Other than that, the electrical systems in the car will be turned on. Thank he Smart 451 doesn’t have an “accessory” key position so all of the electronics that are turned on when the car is running, but without the benefit of the engine running to keep the battery alive. Without the alternator turning, your car’s battery will die very fast, especially if the blower fan is running. To keep the battery from being damaged, you should plan on having something connected to the battery to keep the voltage up.

I should mention I’m referring to a 451 ICE. I can’t comment on the ED, 450, or 453.
My Smart 451 is an electric one.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Hello people.

Could anyone tell me whether it would be possible to cut and use a key which has neither remote control, nor transponder on it.
I need such a key in order to be able to leave it in position number one in the ignition, so I can leave the A/C on, and lock the doors with the original key.
Please help.

Regards.
I would jsut leave the windows cracked and a sunshield in the windshield, and acclimate to the summer weather. Running the AC will deplete the traction battery pretty substantially.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Just a thought… are you leaving your car plugged in while the AC is running? My Chevy Volt allows the car to be on and running with the AC while plugged in. In fact, the manual recommends pre-cool or pre-warm the car using household power, rather than sacrificing mileage.

If someone has an ED and a spare cut key, they can run an experiment… start the car using the cut key with the transponder of another key in close proximity to the lock tumbler. The car should start, then remove the transponder key from the car to see if the car keeps running. I suspect it will because this is they type of scenario a valet key provides - exiting the vehicle with the key will allow the car to continue to drive, but the car cannot be started again without the transponder key present.

·
Registered
Smart Fortwo ED3 451
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would jsut leave the windows cracked and a sunshield in the windshield, and acclimate to the summer weather. Running the AC will deplete the traction battery pretty substantially.
I intend to use that for short period of times, let's say 10 minutes while I'm in the store, about a month per year.

·
Registered
Smart Fortwo ED3 451
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just a thought… are you leaving your car plugged in while the AC is running? My Chevy Volt allows the car to be on and running with the AC while plugged in. In fact, the manual recommends pre-cool or pre-warm the car using household power, rather than sacrificing mileage.

If someone has an ED and a spare cut key, they can run an experiment… start the car using the cut key with the transponder of another key in close proximity to the lock tumbler. The car should start, then remove the transponder key from the car to see if the car keeps running. I suspect it will because this is they type of scenario a valet key provides - exiting the vehicle with the key will allow the car to continue to drive, but the car cannot be started again without the transponder key present.
Well, I'd like to use this while the car is plugged, but also when she's not plugged, so I have a cold car after I go back to her an hour or so in the city.

"If someone has an ED and a spare cut key, they can run an experiment… start the car using the cut key with the transponder of another key in close proximity to the lock tumbler. The car should start, then remove the transponder key from the car to see if the car keeps running. I suspect it will because this is they type of scenario a valet key provides - exiting the vehicle with the key will allow the car to continue to drive, but the car cannot be started again without the transponder key present."
I'm not too crazy doing such experiments because the car's immobilizer system might get confused and bugged ...

Thanks.

·
Registered
642 Posts
I don’t think this experiment would phase the car at all. The transponder might turn the car off, that’s all. I’ll run the test in in my 2008 451 ICE and let you know the results.

·
Registered
2017 453 Passion ED/EQ
390 Posts
"Well, I'd like to use this while the car is plugged, .." You do know you have that capability already, without needing any key?

·
Registered
2017 453 ForTwo Coupe ED
148 Posts
Not sure you can do it on the 451, but on a 453 you can set a time and temperature and as long as you have a mostly full (like 80% or so) battery, the car will turn on the AC to hit that temperature at the time you program. A bit easier than this. In most of the world, it can be done by your phone, in the US the phone app isn't supported and must be done from the car.

·
Registered
Smart Fortwo ED3 451
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Not sure you can do it on the 451, but on a 453 you can set a time and temperature and as long as you have a mostly full (like 80% or so) battery, the car will turn on the AC to hit that temperature at the time you program. A bit easier than this. In most of the world, it can be done by your phone, in the US the phone app isn't supported and must be done from the car.
What I'd like to do most of all is, when I leave my car for about half an hour, to be able to be in a cooled enough car after that.
And it could be done with such a non-transponder key ...
BTW where I am now, people from the third world come to see what does look the fourth world like ;-) No Android app for the ED3 here ... At least none to my knowledge.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
For the 451, the car has to be plugged in for charging for the preheat/precool to work.

·
Registered
2010 smart Passion fortwo caballero
16 Posts
I know my key in my 2010 passion fortwo my remote part slips off thy key so I always left thy cut part in hole. But all of a sudden my key no longer starts my car every thing comes on but it won't start. A pic of a key shows up on dash but nothing starts won't crank at all. So key some how un programmed no it is a tow over 100 miles away plus like 1500 to cut my new key and program it. I don't understand how it I unprogrammed

·
Registered
2014 Cabriolet bought in Sept 2016 with 6,470 mi
76 Posts
Good.

Did you remove the battery and clean the inside of the remote part with as pure of alcohol as you can get - at least 90% or more. Make sure to let it dry completely before putting the battery back in.

·
Registered
2010 smart Passion fortwo caballero
16 Posts
I will now !!! But I can't try until I find away to charge my battery damn it!!! Hopefully I can by Monday I'll post outcome!!! Thank U !!!

·
Registered
2014 Cabriolet bought in Sept 2016 with 6,470 mi
76 Posts
If you can't bring a charger to the car, take the 12V battery out and bring it to the charger.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts