Smart Car of America Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2010 smart Passion fortwo caballero
15 Posts
Ok I do know that silly!!! My charger was stolen and with no drivable car I have to walk battery to be charged. it's like 2 miles from here. Being a single mom makes things hard not impossible. If I keep this car I'll learn it all specially with an ex that liked breaking it!!! I will post back asap. Thanx

·
Registered
Smart Fortwo ED3 451
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I know my key in my 2010 passion fortwo my remote part slips off thy key so I always left thy cut part in hole. But all of a sudden my key no longer starts my car every thing comes on but it won't start. A pic of a key shows up on dash but nothing starts won't crank at all. So key some how un programmed no it is a tow over 100 miles away plus like 1500 to cut my new key and program it. I don't understand how it I unprogrammed
That's why people have to understand and learn, they always have to have at least two keys ...
Thanks.

·
Registered
2014 smart ED coupe
3 Posts
I do exactly this in my ED! Mostly when I want to listen to the radio for an extended period and don't want to run down the 12V battery, but also so I can have the AC running sometimes when it's charging in the sun. Here's what I know:

First, the metal part of the key, with enough force, pulls out of the fob part. On one of my two keys, when I did this I managed to shear off the plastic tab that holds the key in the fob, so now the key can be conveniently clicked in and out of the fob. The key by itself doesn't have much for fingers to hold on to to turn it, but it does have a hole (which used to anchor it with that plastic tab I sheared off) where a ring can be attached to give something to grip.

With just the key but no fob, I get the key symbol on the dash like someone else mentioned, and it will do everything except start the car. Radio, AC, etc, just the same as turning the full key to on but not to start. Having done this plenty of times, the car hasn't gotten confused or had any problems, yet. Fingers crossed...

So that's the good, now the bad: there doesn't seem to be any way to exit and lock the car using this trick! You can lock it with the lock button if you want to stay inside (I've done this to nap with AC on while charging, though I can't really see the advantage over a normal key besides being tiny and out of the way), but you can't lock it with the fob while the key is in the ignition, and to my perennial irritation the physical lock on the outside of the driver's door will not lock the car. The best I've figured would be to lock from inside, pop the liftgate with the fob, and climb out the back of the car. Popping the liftgate of a locked smart seems not to unlock it so I think it'd work but I haven't tried this, if anyone does please let me know!

-Mo

PS - On a related note, the fob on our keys is rather bulky, does anyone know of an aftermarket key that includes the RFID chip but no remote buttons and is thus lower profile in the ignition switch? I'm not a small guy and when my pockets are overstuffed I've actually managed once or twice now to turn off the car with my hip while making a hard left. Not fun!

PPS - for the person who had the key symbol show up, I might have some helpful info. In my experiments, I tried putting the metal key on a keyring along with the disconnected fob, hoping the lower profile would alleviate the shutting-off-while-hard-lefting problem, but I found it would give me the key symbol and not start unless I had the fob in just the right spot when I turned the key, and unfortunately I couldn't really start it consistently enough to use it that way regularly. The RFID chip that lets the car start is part of the fob but it's completely separate from the buttons-and-battery remote part of the fob, so it should start the car just fine without a battery even, but it is apparently sensitive to how the fob is positioned related to the ignition switch. Try flipping over the key, or even removing the fob from the metal key and holding it in different places around the ignition switch while turning the metal part to the start position. It's also possible some glitch caused the car to forget the key's code, in which case I think the only solution is taking the car and key to a dealer and having it reprogrammed, at significant cost, just like you'd need to do for a replacement key. In any case, good luck!

·
Registered
Smart Fortwo ED3 451
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
So that's the good, now the bad: there doesn't seem to be any way to exit and lock the car using this trick! You can lock it with the lock button if you want to stay inside (I've done this to nap with AC on while charging, though I can't really see the advantage over a normal key besides being tiny and out of the way), but you can't lock it with the fob while the key is in the ignition, and to my perennial irritation the physical lock on the outside of the driver's door will not lock the car. The best I've figured would be to lock from inside, pop the liftgate with the fob, and climb out the back of the car. Popping the liftgate of a locked smart seems not to unlock it so I think it'd work but I haven't tried this, if anyone does please let me know!
Well I have good news (I believe so at least).

What could be done is, to connect a wire to the door locking button in the middle bottom part of the dash and pass it through the door to its lock.
Then make a connection to the door lock using a switch, in order to be able to activate it while locking the door with the key ...

Thank you :).

·
Registered
2010 smart Passion fortwo caballero
15 Posts
I do exactly this in my ED! Mostly when I want to listen to the radio for an extended period and don't want to run down the 12V battery, but also so I can have the AC running sometimes when it's charging in the sun. Here's what I know:

First, the metal part of the key, with enough force, pulls out of the fob part. On one of my two keys, when I did this I managed to shear off the plastic tab that holds the key in the fob, so now the key can be conveniently clicked in and out of the fob. The key by itself doesn't have much for fingers to hold on to to turn it, but it does have a hole (which used to anchor it with that plastic tab I sheared off) where a ring can be attached to give something to grip.

With just the key but no fob, I get the key symbol on the dash like someone else mentioned, and it will do everything except start the car. Radio, AC, etc, just the same as turning the full key to on but not to start. Having done this plenty of times, the car hasn't gotten confused or had any problems, yet. Fingers crossed...

-Mo

PS - On a related note, the fob on our keys is rather bulky, does anyone know of an aftermarket key that includes the RFID chip but no remote buttons and is thus lower profile in the ignition switch? I'm not a small guy and when my pockets are overstuffed I've actually managed once or twice now to turn off the car with my hip while making a hard left. Not fun!

PPS - for the person who had the key symbol show up, I might have some helpful info. In my experiments, I tried putting the metal key on a keyring along with the disconnected fob, hoping the lower profile would alleviate the shutting-off-while-hard-lefting problem, but I found it would give me the key symbol and not start unless I had the fob in just the right spot when I turned the key, and unfortunately I couldn't really start it consistently enough to use it that way regularly. The RFID chip that lets the car start is part of the fob but it's completely separate from the buttons-and-battery remote part of the fob, so it should start the car just fine without a battery even, but it is apparently sensitive to how the fob is positioned related to the ignition switch. Try flipping over the key, or even removing the fob from the metal key and holding it in different places around the ignition switch while turning the metal part to the start position. It's also possible some glitch caused the car to forget the key's code, in which case I think the only solution is taking the car and key to a dealer and having it reprogrammed, at significant cost, just like you'd need to do for a replacement key. In any case, good luck!
[/QUOT

-Mo

Well my key was broke just that way but for 2 yrs I'd leave thy metal part in and put my fob on a small change bag so not to come apart cause it sux ass to lose that metal key part!!! So when I'd get in I would put it on key and carefully turn it on so not to break it. As for locking it I would be all ready to leave car then I would reach in push thy lock button in center and shut thy door only thing is have to hurry or alarm will go off screaming at you
That's why people have to understand and learn, they always have to have at least two keys ...
Thanks.
I had 2 keys thy other got stolen or lost by my ex

·
Registered
Smart Fortwo ED3 451
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Well my key was broke just that way but for 2 yrs I'd leave thy metal part in and put my fob on a small change bag so not to come apart cause it sux ass to lose that metal key part!!! So when I'd get in I would put it on key and carefully turn it on so not to break it. As for locking it I would be all ready to leave car then I would reach in push thy lock button in center and shut thy door only thing is have to hurry or alarm will go off screaming at you
If your key's broken or loose you fix it or make another working copy of it right away.
On se comprendrait mieux en français, mais je sais pas s'ils vont aimer ça ici :).

21 - 30 of 30 Posts