Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently own a smart car gas ICE. I am really close to buying an EV. I have a very consistent commute of about 66 miles (33 each way). This is entirely on 101 and 280 from Facebook HQ to the Daly City Bart.

My ride up to the city is always during rush hour. The ride back is open road at night. I'm not a lead foot and prefer 55 mph on the highway.

I wanted to know if I'm getting too close to the cars maximum range to be sensible? I assume there are a bunch of owners on this forum who live in this area who already know this area, tempetature, and terrain and how the car handles it. Your advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

peace
_Scott

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
I'm not the brightest bulb when it comes to the ED, yet as long as you have several places for a touch up charge in case the car gets too close to a complete discharge, because of being stuck in an unforeseen traffic jam, etc., I would take the chance. Nothing is probably worse than a having a daily fear of having an out of range anxiety attack.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I think your safe. I have an ED and I do distances like that on a regular basis. Make sure you get a level 2 charging station though, because depending on what time you get home in the evening you might not be fully charged by morning with the level 1 that comes with the car.

Don't worry about traffic jams, they won't impair your range. Except for the accessories, the ED doesn't use any juice when it's stopped.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the response Marc. Could you elaborate a little more on the routes you are doing, and the speeds you are taking? Do you have any head room or is that the max range?

peace
_scott

·
Registered
465 Posts
I'm in Ontario Canada, and the last couple weeks we've been hovering between 0 and 10 Celsius (32 - 50F). Mixed driving up to 80km/h (50mph) will give you a range of 125kms (77.7 miles). Once you exceed 80km/h your range starts to significantly reduce. In 15 to 25 Celsius (59 - 77F) I can get up to 160kms (99 miles) range mixed driving.

Of course this is all dependent on how you drive. It takes some time to adapt your driving style to optimize your range.

If you're driving on the interstate at the speed limit for the entire drive, you will probably max out your range each day; but if you can plug in at work even with a Level 1 for a few hours you will get sufficient buffer on your range.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I wrote the original post on a tablet, so was brief with my description. Here is some more info. But thanks so much to everyone who has already helped.

I live by Facebook in Menlo Park, CA and work in Redwood City, CA. This gets me 4 miles closer to the city (Longest stretch being 62 miles on the days that I can charge). I do have charging stations at work, but I don't have great reliability to capture a spot since so many people have EVs at my company. I haven't heard any plans to add more. I can also add a level 2 charger at my house.

I drive up to the Daly City Bart Station (public transit for those that don't know) every night to perform in San Francisco. I am parking at the Bart Station and there is no charging there.

I do have the ability to stop by at work at night, if need be. This would mean the longest stretch of my trip is 58 miles. However, this isn't ideal as it wastes a lot of time.

·
Registered
465 Posts
+1 on the plugshare app. I use it all the time.

If you drive 68 miles a day with some highway, you'll be in range. BTW I have driven 5kms (3.1 miles) on 0% charge remaining and no shut down.

·
Registered
646 Posts
+1 on the plugshare app. I use it all the time.

If you drive 68 miles a day with some highway, you'll be in range. BTW I have driven 5kms (3.1 miles) on 0% charge remaining and no shut down.
But don't bank on that number...there have been a few cases of cars shutting down while still in the Battery Reserve, anywhere from 5 to 15%.

I personally have gone as low as 4% without any issues, but would not want to make it a regular habit.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Yes, I don't dispute that; but I tend to think that is some sort of calibration issue. I don't think a car should shut down before 0%.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts