Smart Car of America Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Having hit 3 deer so far with my 451, and the last 2 were with same size tires front and rear, I don't think hitting deer is the same as hitting a moose which are usually much larger. My last upgrade included heavier duty springs which lifted my smart about 3 inches so the wheels don't fill the wells as much as they did before.
But since it raised you up that much: you can't drive under a Moose's belly anymore! :LOL:

·
I'll figger this car out
206 Posts
Having hit 3 deer so far with my 451, and the last 2 were with same size tires front and rear, I don't think hitting deer is the same as hitting a moose which are usually much larger. My last upgrade included heavier duty springs which lifted my smart about 3 inches so the wheels don't fill the wells as much as they did before.
Great post! Can you tell us which springs you used and whether it affected your electronics at all?

·
Super Moderator
11,231 Posts
Full story is that my front springs broke and needed replacing. I figured a few extra inches would help in driving through deeper snow, and etc. I got springs from Autobahn in California, removed from a ED smart. I replaced front struts complete with truts and springs, and rear springs and shocks. It added about 3 inches in height, which allowed me to reach between the front tires and the fender edges.
No noticeable change in ride, except smoother from the new shocks, and no effect to electronics. I am running Altimax 195/55 tires on all 4 corners with aluminum 3 spoke wheels. Pictures show before and after (front end not painted yet)

·
I'll figger this car out
206 Posts
Full story is that my front springs broke and needed replacing. I figured a few extra inches would help in driving through deeper snow, and etc. I got springs from Autobahn in California, removed from a ED smart. I replaced front struts complete with truts and springs, and rear springs and shocks. It added about 3 inches in height, which allowed me to reach between the front tires and the fender edges.
No noticeable change in ride, except smoother from the new shocks, and no effect to electronics. I am running Altimax 195/55 tires on all 4 corners with aluminum 3 spoke wheels. Pictures show before and after (front end not painted yet)

View attachment 62185 View attachment 62187
Just to clarify: you bought used "take-off" springs from an ED smart? What year, if you know.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts