Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometimes when I go to parallel park, as I put it in reverse, it keeps clunking and clunking yet not going into reverse gear. If I let off the brake and put it in drive then back to reverse, It does go in gear. Am I confusing the computer with my quick shifts from drive to reverse in my parking maneuvers? Is this normal?

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
You need to come to a complete stop before moving the gear shift lever. Otherwise it will clunk going into gear or not select the gear at all, especially reverse.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2008 that does the same thing. It's apparently a KNOWN problem, however SMART USA and my local MB dealer in Manhattan don't want to acknowledge and cover it. I suggest you file an online complaint with the National Highway Transportation Administration. It takes only five minutes.

·
Super Moderator
28,978 Posts
Welcome to SCoA! :)

It is a known problem and there is a software update to address it (there are other updates as well.) Since your car is out of warranty, the dealer will probably charge you for the update - might as well get them all at one visit.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Welcome to SCoA! :)

It is a known problem and there is a software update to address it (there are other updates as well.) Since your car is out of warranty, the dealer will probably charge you for the update - might as well get them all at one visit.
The Smart USA woman kept pushing the fact there has never been a recall. So what? It's a known problem and it would be acknowledged as such. I would urge anyone with this problem to take the five minutes and let NHTSA know. I'd give the link but because I'm a new poster, the forum won't let me. Google NHTSA online complaint.

·
Super Moderator
28,978 Posts
No recall - just standard software updates. The first one (often called the "2.0 update") was to improve the overall operation of the transmission: Smart Offering Disappointed Fortwo Owners a Transmission Upgrade | U.S. News & World Report

There was another update to address the going into reverse issue: http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f4/help-cant-shift-into-reverse-all-sudden-38849/

Your smart center should be well aware of these; if they keep stalling, tell them you want the area Field Operations Manager involved to sort it out. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts