Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It wasnt so smart on our part buying a Smart because there is only one dealer (for service) in the entire state of Co. (Denver MB) and we live on the western slope (grand junction area) 290 miles away. They claim if we need warranty work they'll send a truck over to pick it up and bring it back to us. A total of almost 600 miles..Sound right to you ? Also what happens if we break down where we may be hundreds of mi from a MB dealership. Typical mechanics dont have the tools or knowhow to work on these cars..I think because of this problem alone we may have to turn it in at the end of the 3 yr lease unless dealerships become more abundant throughout the country. I mean the Smarts have been out for several years and dealerships are still scarce. Too bad I love the little guy but any car isnt worth a damn if you cant get it serviced.
Just wondering....

·
Registered
7,015 Posts
I wouldn't buy a car, if I were hundred miles away from a dealership. What would be the tow truck bill, for 290 miles. Didn't Colorado always have just a couple dealerships in the Denver area only.

·
Super Moderator
11,304 Posts
When I got my smart back in 2008, there was a local dealer (sort of) 50 some miles away. eventually the dealer was gone and the closest one was roughly 300 miles away. In the last year, we now again have a somewhat local dealer about 45 miles away.

After the first few months, any problem will most likely be over. At 12K miles, I had the dreaded trans shift problem which has since been tracked down to software issues, Since then I have not needed to return to the dealer. I do my own oil changes and maintenance but have on occasions gotten parts and most dealers will mail the parts out.

The one time when I broke down out in the middle of nowhere, I called the 800 number and they sent out a tow truck, this was on a labor day weekend (Sunday)

·
Registered
7,015 Posts
Is your car under warranty. Wouldn't smart send out a tow truck. I glad our dealership, is 10 minutes from our house.

·
17,390 Posts
It wasnt so smart on our part buying a Smart because there is only one dealer (for service) in the entire state of Co. (Denver MB) and we live on the western slope (grand junction area) 290 miles away. They claim if we need warranty work they'll send a truck over to pick it up and bring it back to us. A total of almost 600 miles..Sound right to you ?

Too bad I love the little guy but any car isnt worth a damn if you cant get it serviced.
Yup, while under warranty smart will pick up your car, service it, then bring it back to you. Mercedes Benz does the same thing for their vehicles as well.

Considering you don't even have to leave your home to get your car serviced, I say that's a win! :D

Many European car repair shops can do work on your smart, not just the MB dealer. But of course, if you're under warranty, just send it to them.

·
Premium Member
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,638 Posts
It wasn't so smart on our part buying a Smart because there is only one dealer (for service) in the entire state of CO. (Denver MB) and we live on the western slope (Grand Junction area) 290 miles away.

I think because of this problem alone we may have to turn it in at the end of the 3 yr lease unless dealerships become more abundant throughout the country.
In a "smart" world you will have a flawless 3 year lease.

Unless the next gen 453 rocks the automotive world, don't expect to see a smart center in Grand Junction, CO nor a rush to build new smart Centers throughout the country.

Here's hoping that your reliability worries are unfounded. :cheers:

Tom, six flawless years of smartin' around . . .

·
Super Moderator
28,535 Posts
To the OP, there are owners here complaining because their smart center is 55 miles away. Surely you knew the Denver center was the only one in CO when you bought the car.... Sounds like a little buyers remorse has hit you. Why not drive the car and enjoy it, without worrying about issues that may never affect you? :)

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
We are so happy that ours is a 450 and not a 451. It has been 100% reliable and never had to visit the dealer for any problems.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Don't sweat it till/if you need to.:) Where there is a will there is a way. Small shops can often do what is needed if a weird car breaks down. Plenty of info here on the web for them to look at if needed. The little shops are a lot more flexible in this way.

Both of my trucks were made by a company that no longer does bussiness in the US. I take long multi state trips in them regularly. Did I mention they are 25+ years old? Of course I can do most anything on them that needs to be done. That does help.

My point is don't get worked up over non issues until it becomes an issue. Stuff happens, life by definition is not safe. Caos rules. Roll with it. I might spontainiously combust of have heart failure tomorrow. I don't lose sleep over it.

·
17,390 Posts
That...and it seems like the dealers are too scared to even look at a 450! :D

·
Banned
682 Posts
It wasnt so smart on our part buying a Smart because there is only one dealer (for service) in the entire state of Co. (Denver MB) and we live on the western slope (grand junction area) 290 miles away. They claim if we need warranty work they'll send a truck over to pick it up and bring it back to us. A total of almost 600 miles..Sound right to you ? Also what happens if we break down where we may be hundreds of mi from a MB dealership. Typical mechanics dont have the tools or knowhow to work on these cars..I think because of this problem alone we may have to turn it in at the end of the 3 yr lease unless dealerships become more abundant throughout the country. I mean the Smarts have been out for several years and dealerships are still scarce. Too bad I love the little guy but any car isnt worth a damn if you cant get it serviced.
Just wondering....
I'm not trying to be unkind...but you're asking questions to the forum members that possible should be directed to the manager of the Smart Dealership...

In my option...the Smart dealership and Smart/Mercedes USA will only provide free flatbed service to your closest dealership if your Smart has a mechanical breakdown that does not allow it to drive on it's own power...for most standard warranty claims...I'm assuming you will have to drive your Smart to the dealership...I think you need to clarify your concerns with a service manager at the dealership so they can review their warranty & service policies with you!

I'm worried that your salesperson may have made a few promises that are not totally accurate!

You can also call Smart USA using toll free number in your warranty manual...and review your concerns with a customer service representative!

Here's the number...1-800-smart-USA (1-800-762-7887)...I would definitely call them and review your concerns!

·
Banned
682 Posts
Yup, while under warranty smart will pick up your car, service it, then bring it back to you. Mercedes Benz does the same thing for their vehicles as well.

Considering you don't even have to leave your home to get your car serviced, I say that's a win! :D

Many European car repair shops can do work on your smart, not just the MB dealer. But of course, if you're under warranty, just send it to them.
Good morning Neon...are you indicating anytime your Smart (assuming it's still under warranty) needs service or maintenance that every Smart/Mercedes dealership will pickup your vehicle at your residence or work location...and than drive it back to you?

I'm fairly certain that free pickup & delivery is a Mercedes dealership decision...and is not offered by MB USA as part of every new vehicle purchase!

Roadside service covers certain situations where the vehicle is not roadworthy...but not every minor warranty or regular maintenance issue!

·
17,390 Posts
Good morning Neon...are you indicating anytime your Smart (assuming it's still under warranty) needs service or maintenance that every Smart/Mercedes dealership will pickup your vehicle at your residence or work location...and than drive it back to you?

I'm fairly certain that free pickup & delivery is a Mercedes dealership decision...and is not offered by MB USA as part of every new vehicle purchase!

Roadside service covers certain situations where the vehicle is not roadworthy...but not every minor warranty or regular maintenance issue!
My bad! :)

I should have clarified (I seem to have a problem with being vague), indeed it is a dealership thing. My smart centre (which is also an MB/Porsche dealership) will send out a tech, which will pick up your car, take it to the dealer, then drop it back off when they are finished.

If you live further than 50 mile radius, they'll send for a tow (of course, the tow part depends on the work you need done).

Of course, I will never use that (complimentary) service. Why would I want some random stranger taking my car onto a Chicago expressway? :eek:

1 - 20 of 49 Posts