Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
To the XCAPEPOD!
6,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Brought to you by the IIHS, for what it's worth. At least the smart fared best, but whether the test was fair and accurate, who knows.
Mini Cars Can Mean Big Bills, According to Crash Test - ABC News

Edit: Just to show you that the mainstream media rarely gives you the whole story:

"Minicar owners shouldn't feel too bad, though: the IIHS has put a total of 61 cars through the fender-bender test, and so far, 43 of them have been rated "poor". In fact, the fortwo is one of only three--alongside the Ford Focus and the Scion xB--to receive an "acceptable" ranking. To date, no car has been rated good. But then, if you've been to a garage lately, you probably knew that." - Source: http://blogs.thecarconnection.com/marty-blog/1021385_new-study-minicars-ranked-by-fender-bender-repair-bill

And, no one mentions that with a fortwo, the plastic panel/grille replacement work is relatively easy to do yourself without paying for labor. :)

·
Red Roller Skate
3,895 Posts
Blah we know how fair the IIHS and I know why they hate smart so much. The IIHS really doesn't stand for Institute for Highway Safety, it's just their public front name but secretly call themselves Idiot Insurers Hate Smart.

·
Registered
11,891 Posts
IIHS said it would like to see damage of no more than $500 after a slow-speed fender bender. That's the cost of most insurance deductibles.
In other words, We don't want to be bothered by you asking for claims.

Looks like the smart comes out smelling good again

·
Registered
841 Posts
Shame on IIHS and Media

The false message today on national TV and media is:

BEWARE of the microcars, which after fenderbenders, will cost a higher percentage $repair, compared to purchase price

The fortwo was "acceptable"

·
Registered
841 Posts
"But not one of the seven vehicles tested received a top rating of good"

A "good" rating must result, when the vehicle looks freshly waxed, after the fenderbender

·
Registered
34 Posts
Link: Jalopnik - IIHS: Small Cars Are Big On Damage In Low-Speed Collisions - IIHS Small Car Ratings

Summary: The IIHS tested bumpers on seven popular microcars. The smart ForTwo, Chevy Aveo, Mini Cooper, Toyota Yaris, Honda Fit, Hyundai Accent and the Kia Rio. The best vehicle was the Smart Fortwo with only $3,281 in total damage from the four tests, earning it an "Acceptable" rating. None scored "Good."

Also coming from personal experience, my fender bender in stop and go traffic cost me $1,800 to fix (insurance covered it all :)).

·
Registered
563 Posts
My parking lot oops in the wifes cabrio cost me $160 for the rear fender and 2 hours of my time which included washing the car. and I could do it in an hour now that I know what I'm doing....

·
Registered
11,891 Posts
Only cars that require less to repair that $500 (standard deductable) will recieve Good Raiting

No car meets that level. This is not about Safety, its about saving the insurance companies money. This is nothing about this report that would help with safety. Come to thnk about it their is nothing about it that has anything to do with Hyways either.

·
Super Moderator
28,444 Posts

This is one of the photos appearing along with the article in our local newspaper today. Looks like a right front fender and (maybe) the service flap. Not up on current prices but I'm guessing less than $500 for both plus you DIY the change so no labor cost. Within most of our deductible limits so no cost to your insurer, no rate increase, etc. :)

·
17,372 Posts
That damage makes that smart look evil, study it for awhile and you'll see what I mean...

As for the article. go ahead and say how unsafe smarts are, crash stories are true proof that the smart is a mobile fallout shelter.

Maybe if people think it's unsafe they'll not tailgate... :think:

·
Registered
156 Posts
I just had a pretty ugly dent pulled out of the Driver's side tridion cell earlier this week. It required sanding and repainting, etc. The total cost $755.16. Without the aid of a magnifying glass I couldn't tell that it was ever damaged. The only way would be to inspect the placards inside the door jamb and see that they were masked off and I counted three really small (maybe 1/2 of a millimeter) paint blemishes (a dust particle or so). They repainted the entire cell on the driver's side.

Attachments

·
Registered
910 Posts
FWIW - only one microcar in the bunch.

FWIW - only one microcar in the bunch; all the rest are sub-compacts or minicars. smart is the only micro there but am glad to see that it earned an 'acceptable' rating. Especially after that IIHS fiasco with the head-on collision test with a heavier vehicle. . . duh? Pure physics at work there. . . :p

·
Red Roller Skate
3,895 Posts
I just had a pretty ugly dent pulled out of the Driver's side tridion cell earlier this week. It required sanding and repainting, etc. The total cost $755.16. Without the aid of a magnifying glass I couldn't tell that it was ever damaged. The only way would be to inspect the placards inside the door jamb and see that they were masked off and I counted three really small (maybe 1/2 of a millimeter) paint blemishes (a dust particle or so). They repainted the entire cell on the driver's side.
I thought if the Trideon was damaged that compromised the safety cell? The metal in that area will never perform exactly the same again after being pulled and kanoodled back into position.

·
Registered
426 Posts
After listening to the report on the TV News - it sounds as if everyone should avoid purchasing "small' cars. Oh, . . . be very afraid. Wished they showed the ratings:

·
Registered
426 Posts
Wished rfernatt would change his avatar into a "garden gnome" or something with a summer theme or how 'bout Star Trek? LOL

·
Registered
2 Posts
More armor on that tank?

Perhaps people should stop crashing into each other? That is the kind of armor that I would choose to carry with me everyday. Crash avoidance equipment anyone? When your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail. (or something like that)

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
I am miffed with this story while reading this post here, I was just watching the news with the cars hitting this makeshift bumper.
First, of all any standard type of car would be severely damaged if only one side is hit.
Second, the height of the impact was into the grill not the bumper below it.
Third, the reason behind the test is...? Who knows, but it's scare tactics like this that prevent people from even considering a smaller car.
Fourth, years ago the same test were made with American vans, etc. and the damage was in the thousands also at such slow speeds. The exception was the beetle which then cost $300 to fix.
Fourth, from the top view the makeshift bumper did not flex at all, unlike another vehicle's.
Finally, why do you need a solid bumper ? Unless you live in the heart of a city and there is no guarantee either. Your little car will be attacked from all sides then.

One more for the road... Did they crash 4 different smarts for example? If one smart hits something once, it is then compromised already when it hits the second time and gets worse with the third and fourth. Would someone enlighten me please.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts