Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And seven years later, Elio competition (Can-Am Spyder, Campagna Motors T-REX & Polaris Slingshot) in that three-wheel market continues to grow.

Arcimoto thus far has raised about $8 million in funding, worked through 8 prototypes and is now preparing to roll out their $12,000 electric trike . . .

And if this is what $12,000 might buy,

can't wait to see a $7,300* fully enclosed, climate controlled Elio?

Arcimoto's electric trike: FEATURES - Business Insider

https://www.arcimoto.com/

·
17,474 Posts
I'm pretty sure Elon Musk and SpaceX will have had a successful manned Mars mission before Elio actually reaches mass production.

Reactions: 1983JZR3W

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
Enclosed Arcimoto?

Arcimoto has an enclosed version too.

Good for a passenger to see out?

Good for cargo? Perhaps local deliveries? It would be neat to see this with a Domino. :) I saw a Corbin Sparrow with a Domino wrap on it.
With a variety of weather in NH, I would go for the enclosed one.
:nerd:

Arcimoto sounds like Mr. Moto's cousin. :rofl:

·
Premium Member
7,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Enclosed version - $3,000+ additional option = $15,000.

For that, some day might be able to buy 2 Elios?

·
Premium Member
7,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Yes, honest review by one man with a keyboard that allows him to spew HIS opinion onto the Internet. Guess it is best to stick our head in the sand and ignore?

Reviews are usually first person, not by committee. So we can just sit tight and ignore all opinions till we hear from that "committee" at Consumer Reports?

Just the messenger . . .

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
I did not say I disagree with what he was saying, I just thought he might have done a better job of re-reading over what he wrote and made sure it made sense before putting it out there. Sort of a job requirement for a journalist I would think.
I would agree with an event like Barrett-Jackson they should have made sure it was in top notch condition, and maybe upgrade it a bit.

Seems I recall an awful lot of reviewers saying negative remarks about smarts and they never drove one, just repeated what they had heard.

There isn't any sand around here, I just think the media needs to be held accountable for what they write (or speak) Consumer Reports seems to speak favorably about products that advertise in their magazines. I never read it or do I care what they say. Just MY opinion...

:popcorn:

·
17,474 Posts
I'm going to agree with you both. :) He could have been a better writer...yet at the same time, Elio could be a better business...and with even THAT said, it is just a prototype, so some things can and should have been forgiven. :)

And THAAAAT said, it's going to be a $6,800 car...anyone expecting build quality better than that of a third world city car has their expectations set too high.

Reactions: jimvw57

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
I'm going to agree with you both. :) He could have been a better writer...yet at the same time, Elio could be a better business...and with even THAT said, it is just a prototype, so some things can and should have been forgiven. :)

And THAAAAT said, it's going to be a $6,800 car...anyone expecting build quality better than that of a third world city car has their expectations set too high.
They've already bumped that to $7300.... Plus they backed WAY off the 5 star safety rating. It just keeps getting better with Elio...>:D

·
Registered
36 Posts
There isn't any sand around here, I just think the media needs to be held accountable for what they write (or speak) Consumer Reports seems to speak favorably about products that advertise in their magazines. I never read it or do I care what they say. Just MY opinion...

:popcorn:
Consumer Reports does not allow outside advertising in their magazine. Which is a fact. Facts are useful when submitting opinions, if you want anyone to agree with it.

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
Consumer Reports does not allow outside advertising in their magazine. Which is a fact. Facts are useful when submitting opinions, if you want anyone to agree with it.
Sorry if I offended anyone with my OPINION, I stated my OPINION and That is that. I was not looking for others to approve or dispel it as it is an opinion.

OPINION: a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

:shrug:

This is why I usually don't post opinions as even though you state it s an opinion, it gets assumed that since it is on the Internet, it has to be a fact (or true)

Their blanket statement is that they don't allow their results to be used in advertising, yet numerous products state that their item tested high in Consumer Reports. kind of an unenforceable issue as they can't control what other people say. The few times I looked at one of their reports on a possible car purchase, it was exactly the same as what I had seen in other magazine. Maybe the 'other magazine' copied their article, I don't know. but after purchasing products they rated as a good buy, I had nothing but trouble, and other items rated as poor, I had no problems with. Thus my OPINION based on my personal experience. I did not keep dates, problems and specifics on each occurrence to provide the facts as I am not that type of person. You can either take my word for it, or blow it off. either way, it won't change my opinion.

·
17,474 Posts
Such is true...However, they still suck at reviewing cars. They rate cars like they rate dishwashers, which comes out really awkward. They need real car guys reviewing cars. :)

·
17,474 Posts
And then there's me, where I don't like any of their car reviews! :D Then again...that's mostly because I only read car reviews for entertainment anyway...

·
Registered
87 Posts
I am not sure what I would expect from a new car that sells for $7000. Even if it is only 2/3rds of a car, you can't expect the same features and quality that you get when you pay $20,000 for a car. A cheap car, has cheap parts, and isn't as durable. I guess it is better to set the bar lower and promise less than build a prototype with all of the bells and whistles and realize that you have to subtract things to reach the target sales price.

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
the 7300 is for the first year ( reservation holders) you can lock in at 7000 if you want. ( the price with bonus credits is still below the 6800 if you put your cash where your mouth is/was ) no price set for the second year production that I know of. I am still holding positive hope it will be produced and will drive the smart till it is /is not produced. I just turned 100k on the smart . as a back up I have been looking at the 453s like the look of the cab.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts