Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Banned
5,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after being in the car business for 25+ years, i understand the smart centers need for making $$ on their orphans. i also, as a buyer, understand that i don't want to pay for a bunch of options that i either have no need for or simply DO NOT WANT. what do we do?

here's a suggestion: why not offer different 'packages' to your "orphan customers"? for lets say $1500, you get to choose 3 items from your list of 'add-ons'. for $2500, you can choose 5 items and so on.....

this way YOU, the dealer, can make some much needed GP and the customer can pick and choose what THEY want, not what has already been added to their orphan. sounds like a win-win situation to me.

just a thought. though i've not heard of this, maybe someone is already doing it and to anyone who is, i applaud you. :)

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
They (the dealership) probably just want to get the car rolled off the lot that day, rather than waiting. Also, most people probably wouldn't pay their rip off prices, and if they have the stuff already installed then the customer has to buy it that way. Not like that is a "good" thing for them to be doing but... yeah...

Just my $0.02...

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Banned
5,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They (the dealership) probably just want to get the car rolled off the lot that day, rather than waiting. Also, most people probably wouldn't pay their rip off prices, and if they have the stuff already installed then the customer has to buy it that way. Not like that is a "good" thing for them to be doing but... yeah...

Just my $0.02...
i understand.....BUT if they're adding that stuff anyway, it's generally NOT going to 'roll off the lot that day'. somethings, like LoJack, tinted windows, etched glass, etc, have to be done by sending out the car. while some vendors come to the dealership to do it, they can't be all working on the car at the same time.

so what if it takes an extra day or two. i would think a Happy Customer would be worth that?

Just my $0.02 also! :)

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
i understand.....BUT if they're adding that stuff anyway, it's generally NOT going to 'roll off the lot that day'. somethings, like LoJack, tinted windows, etched glass, etc, have to be done by sending out the car. while some vendors come to the dealership to do it, they can't be all working on the car at the same time.

so what if it takes an extra day or two. i would think a Happy Customer would be worth that?

Just my $0.02 also! :)

I meant that if the customer had the choice, they'd probably not pay a ton of money for the dealership mods... but if the dealership has them installed already, then the person has to buy them. You're correct, the Lojack, tint, etc takes more than a day, but they probably wouldn't make the extra $ from the mods if it wasn't already installed.

Remember, smart centers are still "Stealerships", and want to make as much $ as possible. You could think of the modded orphans as "show room cars", for example at Fletcher Jones they always have cars with a Lorinser kit, dvd player, etc.

I agree with you that a happy customer is what you should strive for... :smartje.grs.zw:

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Banned
5,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Remember, smart centers are still "Stealerships", and want to make as much $ as possible.
working for a DEALERship, i hate that term. as for making $$, isn't that what businesses are SUPPOSE to do?

i really resent those of you who think the dealership is just suppose to GIVE you your car, service work, parts, etc. can i walk into YOUR business and have you perform a service for me and make NOTHING? everyone has the idea that a new car dealer makes tons of money off a new car. NOT ANY MORE! in case you haven't noticed, dealers are dropping like flies.

keep in mind that 'generally' dealerships survive economic times like these from profits in the Parts and Service Departments. and in case you hadn't noticed, there ARE NO PARTS AND SERVICE DEPARTMENTS at your smart dealer. they don't have anything to do. no cars on the road=no service customers, which=NO PROFIT!

ok, i'm stepping down now. said my piece. have a nice day! :)

·
Registered
841 Posts
after being in the car business for 25+ years, i understand the smart centers need for making $$ on their orphans. i also, as a buyer, understand that i don't want to pay for a bunch of options that i either have no need for or simply DO NOT WANT. what do we do?

here's a suggestion: why not offer different 'packages' to your "orphan customers"? for lets say $1500, you get to choose 3 items from your list of 'add-ons'. for $2500, you can choose 5 items and so on.....

this way YOU, the dealer, can make some much needed GP and the customer can pick and choose what THEY want, not what has already been added to their orphan. sounds like a win-win situation to me.

just a thought. though i've not heard of this, maybe someone is already doing it and to anyone who is, i applaud you. :)
The Dealers could categorize the packages as follows:
-Patient Adoptee $
-Desperate Adoptee $$
-Off the Street Sucka $$$

·
Banned
844 Posts
working for a DEALERship, i hate that term. as for making $$, isn't that what businesses are SUPPOSE to do?

i really resent those of you who think the dealership is just suppose to GIVE you your car, service work, parts, etc. can i walk into YOUR business and have you perform a service for me and make NOTHING? everyone has the idea that a new car dealer makes tons of money off a new car. NOT ANY MORE! in case you haven't noticed, dealers are dropping like flies.

keep in mind that 'generally' dealerships survive economic times like these from profits in the Parts and Service Departments. and in case you hadn't noticed, there ARE NO PARTS AND SERVICE DEPARTMENTS at your smart dealer. they don't have anything to do. no cars on the road=no service customers, which=NO PROFIT!

ok, i'm stepping down now. said my piece. have a nice day! :)
the dealerships aren't making much of a profit on the original sale to an original "owner". like all dealerships, their "profit center" is the service department. smart centers have service and parts departments, walk around the side, they'll be a lot of mercedes and porshes in there.
call the dealer where you got your smart, they have "smart trained" technicians and stock smart parts in the parts department.

i've worked at a dealership in a parts department. parts is parts and there's money in them parts!:bouncies:

·
Registered
6 Posts
I think the original point is quite valid. It allows the dealer to make an above sticker mark up/profit, but at the same time allows a willing buyer to have some say in what he is getting for his added expense. The car would be sold in a day or two, the dealer would get rid of the orphan and make an extra 1-2k in profit, and the buyer would not be buying items he has no use for at all. And considering the distance between most dealers and the customer, I would think realistically that most transactions take several days to finalize anyway.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
the dealerships aren't making much of a profit on the original sale to an original "owner". like all dealerships, their "profit center" is the service department. smart centers have service and parts departments, walk around the side, they'll be a lot of mercedes and porshes in there.
call the dealer where you got your smart, they have "smart trained" technicians and stock smart parts in the parts department.

i've worked at a dealership in a parts department. parts is parts and there's money in them parts!:bouncies:
I have to disagree on the parts in stock part of your comment. I have a broken windshield and it will supposedly take 4 to 5 weeks to get one in. Had to have a rear hatch latch replaced. I drove around for over a week with duct tape holding my glass part down and attached while waiting for that part to come in. Also had to have a microwave sensor for my alarm system replaced. Yep. Had to wait for that too. So if they do have parts in stock it seems to be rather limited. One would think they'd at least have some spare windshields in stock. I also had to wait for weeks to get my cargo area cover and car cover.

Then again maybe it's just my dealership doesn't happen to stock the parts my car has needed thus far?

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
I'll probably get flamed for this, but I'm in favor of the dealerships charging the most they can that the market will support (classic free market principle). My reason is simple: A network of dealerships making good profits is a network of dealerships that will survive downturns in the economy. And those dealers that survive and prosper will be there to service my car and provide parts (when supplies finally become adequate). Purely selfish reason, sure, but I have my smart, and I don't want smart dealerships to fold because they couldn't make sufficient profits.

Sure, it would be great in an ideal world if smart dealers could charge just a few percent over their cost for dealer add-ons. But come on people, smart is a brand new car in the U.S. with a brand new network of dealerships. No one should be surprised that the cost of early ownership of a brand new line of cars in the U.S. may be higher than expected. This isn't Toyota selling a hundred thousand brand new Corollas; it may be brand new, but it's still a well-established brand with a well-established network.

A few years down the road, when supplies have stabilized and smart is selling ten thousand cars per month, it would be ludicrous for smart dealers to charge such exorbitant prices for orphan cars. But at this time, I say charge all you want, as long as people are willing to buy and get those cars off your hands.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Truth of the matter is that these are in-demand cars and the dealerships know it. The gross profit margin on stock smart's are laughable, so the dealerships put extra stuff on to boost business. Even if you dont like it, there will be ten people who would gladly buy the car with the junk on it.

·
Banned
5,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)

i CURRENTLY work in a dealership parts department. ours is nothing like SCI as they don't even HAVE a "Parts and Service Department". not yet. all parts and service is done through their MB dealership next door. yes, they have the 'facility', but it is bare....no lifts, no service write up desks, no parts counter....NOTHING! but then again, do they even need one yet? the answer is of course NO. with only 120 or so cars on the road from SCI, they don't have enough of a client base to justify those departments. but 'someday' they will......i'm sure they're banking on it! :D

I think the original point is quite valid. It allows the dealer to make an above sticker mark up/profit, but at the same time allows a willing buyer to have some say in what he is getting for his added expense. The car would be sold in a day or two, the dealer would get rid of the orphan and make an extra 1-2k in profit, and the buyer would not be buying items he has no use for at all. And considering the distance between most dealers and the customer, I would think realistically that most transactions take several days to finalize anyway.
my point was this....the dealers are going load them up to make more $$ anyway. why not 'load them up' with items you can actually use? do i like the idea of paying $500 for window tint or $300 for etched glass? NO, but if i HAVE TO PAY for something, at least make it something I WANT!!!

after all, this is simply a prime example of 'supply and demand' at its best (or worst, depending on which side of the fence you're on). the seller has what you want and as long as people will PAY for it, whatever is being asked, they will continue to sell at that price.

the only thing that will stop this is EVERYONE simply REFUSE TO BUY A LOADED UP ORPHAN, PERIOD! if that happens, prices will come down and dealers will be asking MSRP again.

will it ever happen.........DON'T HOLD YOUR BREATH!!! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
19 Posts
When I bought my orphan the dealer said that they used to add on tons of stuff but that this batch (4) or orphans they needed to move. The only thing that the car had that I did not want was heated seats. The dealer also installed a lo-jack but they stated they would have done that to my ordered car anyway as they did it on all cars they sold.

I ended up with an out the door price 1k higher than what my 'ordered' car would have been and I got heated seats and lo-jack so I am good.

AND DRIVING!

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
how about the stealerships choose NOT to load them up automatically, treat their customer like a human being and not a mark, and maybe good karma will visit them later in life.

why does the consumer have to give in on their desires, their wishes in order to make the dealer happy? why do i care about making the dealer happy?

this does not happen with any regularity - you don't agree to buy a house and when it comes time to sign the paperwork the seller tells you - "we added an in-ground pool and a media center - so that'll push the price up $100K, if you're not okay with that, too bad"

·
Banned
5,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
A few years down the road, when supplies have stabilized and smart is selling ten thousand cars per month, it would be ludicrous for smart dealers to charge such exorbitant prices for orphan cars. But at this time, I say charge all you want, as long as people are willing to buy and get those cars off your hands.

IMO, a 'few years down the road' there won't be any difference, other than there will be more of a 'used car market' than there is currently. i believe that smarts plan is NOT to have many, if any at all, cars 'in stock' at the dealerships. this keeps the demand high and therefore the price too. once they dealers have them sitting on the lot, the bargaining begins. smart and the dealers for sure don't want that!!!!

·
Banned
5,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
how about the stealerships choose NOT to load them up automatically, treat their customer like a human being and not a mark, and maybe good karma will visit them later in life.

why does the consumer have to give in on their desires, their wishes in order to make the dealer happy? why do i care about making the dealer happy?

this does not happen with any regularity - you don't agree to buy a house and when it comes time to sign the paperwork the seller tells you - "we added an in-ground pool and a media center - so that'll push the price up $100K, if you're not okay with that, too bad"

we don't HAVE to 'give in' as you put it. simply DON'T BUY ONE!!!! and BTW, you're starting to piss me off with that 'stealership' crap again.....do you mind? some of us are honest, hard working individuals employed by HONEST, HARD WORKING dealers. just because you allowed yourself to get ripped off somewhere, please don't take it out on EVERYONE ELSE!!!

·
Registered
422 Posts
we don't HAVE to 'give in' as you put it. simply DON'T BUY ONE!!!! and BTW, you're starting to piss me off with that 'stealership' crap again.....do you mind? some of us are honest, hard working individuals employed by HONEST, HARD WORKING dealers. just because you allowed yourself to get ripped off somewhere, please don't take it out on EVERYONE ELSE!!!
Well said Jeepster. Of course rawlusA you are welcome to your opinion but that stealership thing is getting old.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts