Smart Car of America Forum banner
261 - 280 of 291 Posts

· Premium Member
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #261 ·
And like the title of the thread. Yesterday perfect ....today .... P2188 code car sounds off... Sure enough exhaust loose again. Lol , well I should be able to get to that by Wednesday.

· Premium Member
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #262 · (Edited)
In the shadows of Citi Field formally know as Shea Stadium. There lay two other Field of dreams for me. One is a open buffet of auto mechanic shops and are where dreams are worked on and made to live called the "Iron Triangle".
Cloud Sky Property Tire Automotive tire

Today this is where I limped my broken Smart to for "can do" mechanical service.
Wheel Building Automotive tire Tire Motor vehicle

Some Air ratchets, a little tapping, gasket sealer, a few welding spark's all with the smell of, " that oughta do it " in the air. The Harlem Edition Dream exhaust tone was restored...

...... Now the other side of City Field, there is the Marina......

Wheel Tire Car Plant Vehicle

And the Marina is where Dreams are celebrated. So what better place for the after repair photo. Perfect just perfect.

· Premium Member
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #263 ·
So with Splitter in place and possible rear diffuser arriving shortly. The future to do item will be a rear wiper delete and rear window louver install as seen photoshopped here....

current projects to keep my self focused.

Floor mats.
Rear bumper repair and parking guard solution,
Greek Halo headlights.
17x7.5 Genius rear wheels.
215/45 17 Hankook ventus concept 2 tires.
Paint and install new Undertray.
Driving lights.
Carbon fiber mirror covers.
Wire up the installed side mirror signal blinkers.
Under dash sub woofer
450 style head rest.
Evilution style silicone intake hose.
Flow Master DBX muffler.
Double Adjustable rear shock
Unknown front suspension solution.
Back up camera wireless.
Rear window louver.
Reviewing and old wish/To do list from March 2020, let's see where I have gotten to.
Floor mats. ..Done
Rear bumper protector.. Done
Headlights. US spec Brabus clones.
Wheels... 16x6 front 16x7.5 rear.
Tires... 205/45 16 fr 215/45 16 rear PHI R
Undertray ... Bought, painted, yet to install.
Driving Lights .... Not Done Yet.
Mirrors Covers... Remain Stock.
Under Dash Sub ... Done
450 style Head Rest.... Rethinking idea
Silicone Intake ... Done
Muffler.... Sila Performance installed.
Double Adjustable rear shock .... Close.
Front Suspension solution.. Still unknown
Back up Camera... Done.
Rear Window Louver... Not Done Yet.

Not Bad at all. I am doing pretty good with sticking to the vision.
With the car just under 90,000 miles now. Double adjustable rear shocks should make these way on to the car shortly. The it shall become and all out effort to have the best transmission unit I can afford. I know nothing about it just know what I feel and what I want to feel. As the one area that gives me pain over the car makes no sense to not make it my focus and pump all resources into getting it to my liking. So Group Guide me to America's Smart 451 Transmission Guru. Winter is coming.

· Premium Member
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #264 ·
Ok the KnN filter has been relocated, cleaned, re oiled and is back in the air box. Tomorrow I will take a spirited drive to Atlantic City New Jersey. I will get Down There for the DJ Envy car show. Just to have my car in the area take a few pics. Get my wife a Sub from the White Horse Sub Shop. And scoot back home. This will be the final shake down of the car before the Back of the Dragon event. It was my intent to just kind of float the car along at the Back of the Dragon. But I don't think Paul will be moving anything but fast tomorrow I will see what the current car set up wants to do. Run up front or trot along in the pack.

· Premium Member
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #265 ·
On
Seven months ago I decided on the "Christian Louboutin train d'atterrissage" as the Harlem Editions official undertray.
View attachment 64307

View attachment 64308

well today I finally got after it.

View attachment 64311
........................now to get them up under there,
Cardi B.....
“These expensive, these is red bottoms, these is bloody shoes,” “Hit the store, I can get ’em both, I don’t wanna choose.”
So since I painted the Undertray, it has be stored in my bedroom. Today some nearly 2 years later the Christian Louboutin train d'atterrissage is now the official Undertray worn by The Harlem Edition. Time Consuming but not difficult a task.

· Premium Member
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #266 · (Edited)
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Road surface Grey Tread

The old Undertray was a mess. Shout out to flex tape held it in place for 4 years. I had to cut if off today. Only a little less than half of the front panel remained. Came out with little fuss.

Road surface Automotive design Grey Asphalt Motor vehicle

And here after 2 years of waiting behind the head board...... The Christian Louboutin
train d'atterrissage" Although with out any mishap no one will see it. I will know it is there and be able to say so...lol And "Miss Mercedes" yes each oil change I will be there with a small roller and some red paint to freshen things up.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

I took the advice of some one who said drill holes for access to the front panel's rear bolts and put the two panels together first then bolt them up in place and I would not have to jack car up very high. I taped them together on the inside and it worked like a charm.

Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Tire Automotive tire Automotive lighting

It all fit and went right into place I did find my Brake light switch housing box latch had come open. I remedied that and secured a potential rattle point but I found no leaks on the old tray and nothing alarming underneath the car. This was a first time ordeal and I was at it all day. But if I did another on the ground with out a lift right now I would say 2 hours tops start to finish. With a drive on lift type, an hour.

· Premium Member
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #268 ·
Back from Saturdays Back of the Dragon run in Tazewell Virgina. Timefor a little freshen up. Bosh Ceramic Front Brake Pads ordered, a new set of Motor mounts ordered. Both I will install the brake pads and rear motor mounts myself so I don't anticipate any issue. A fresh Oil and filter change this weekend and I will have the front motor mount installed while on the lift. I am eger to see how much the current mount has suffered since it was installed. The Smart will also get its State inspection.
At that point it will be time to get serious about the transmission/gearbox/clutch system. at the moment The Clutch Kit, actuator, and TCU tune will come from the Smart Hard Tuning GR. The car is so good right now but for full use if 1st and 2nd gear has a negative effect on normal driving. My hope is to cure that. Also in the works is a Double adjustable rear shock should be weeks away from that install.

Tire Plant Car Vehicle Wheel

· Premium Member
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #269 ·
Had to get after a bad cigarette lighter today. My Mirror camera which is powered by the Interior Socket/ cigarette lighter, began random shut off and restarts for a few days. Then the Interior Socket/ cigarette lighter fuse began to blow fuses. I found it very easy to access the Power port. 5 screws in all to get the cup holder and plastic covering off. Unclip the OBD port and unplug the Interior Socket/ cigarette lighter wire clip. It would take me all of 5 min to get to next time. Sure enough the wiring ( a Blue and Brown wire.) was chaffing on the metal brace right behind it and the Blue wire was exposed and causing the short. A little electrical tape cured the issue. while I was under there I tidded up some speaker wires for tweeters and the underdash sub I had happhazardly hanging under the dash area. Slapped everthing back together and all is in order again. That power port is quite the power supply point.
Font Audio equipment Auto part Musical instrument accessory Electric blue

I use this Hub, the
QUICK CHARGE 3.0 Cigarette Lighter Adapter,
Lets see, there is the Mirror cam in a usb port, my cellphone another usb port, my interior lighting strips in a another usb port, my wife uses the final usb port for her phone or vape charger. I plug my car vacuum in one if the 3 lighter port holes. Nice neat little thing unseen under dash unit. I also like the additional volt monitor just to confirm the Scan guage, in fact I think I will monitor something else in that spot on the scan guage going foward. Cigarette lighter/power port is easy to access straight foward to trouble shoot. 15 amp fuse slot 21.

· Premium Member
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #270 ·
I revisited the front spliter idea and with my portable Dremel like tool in hand Carside, managed to get the fitting right. So it will be like shown here in this photo shop assited mock up.
Vehicle registration plate Vehicle Car Grille Automotive lighting

· Registered
62 Posts
Back from Saturdays Back of the Dragon run in Tazewell Virgina. Timefor a little freshen up. Bosh Ceramic Front Brake Pads ordered, a new set of Motor mounts ordered. Both I will install the brake pads and rear motor mounts myself so I don't anticipate any issue. A fresh Oil and filter change this weekend and I will have the front motor mount installed while on the lift. I am eger to see how much the current mount has suffered since it was installed. The Smart will also get its State inspection.
At that point it will be time to get serious about the transmission/gearbox/clutch system. at the moment The Clutch Kit, actuator, and TCU tune will come from the Smart Hard Tuning GR. The car is so good right now but for full use if 1st and 2nd gear has a negative effect on normal driving. My hope is to cure that. Also in the works is a Double adjustable rear shock should be weeks away from that install.

View attachment 71281
If you're changing your brake rotors in a public parking lot or some such, I'd love to stop by and watch. I've seen the videos and the articles on evilution, but it'd be nice to watch it done irl.

· Premium Member
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #272 ·
If you're changing your brake rotors in a public parking lot or some such, I'd love to stop by and watch. I've seen the videos and the articles on evilution, but it'd be nice to watch it done irl.
I had a soft pedal and some brake fade after returning home from some really hard fast driving in Virginia so I got a set of front pads. The pedal came back and the fade went away. So I put the pad change on the less urgent list. I won't be changing rotors although I believe it would only take one more screw to remove to take the rotor off. We had them off about a month ago when the front spindles where swapped out for new front wheel bearings. Today was driver's side transmission mount replacement.

· Premium Member
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #273 · (Edited)
Driver Side transmission mount completed.
The passenger side motor mount was very easy and straight forward to swap out and I did that about 2 weeks ago. I started late in the day that day and ran out of sunlight and saw that one torx screw for the air box was going to be a issue to get out. Well today I was up early and went about the Driver's side. About 830 am start.
........5 hours later .......
It's is completed.... Whew.... The mount it's self was on and off very easy. The time was consumed with the stock air filter box. The torx star in one of the of the two screws holding the the air box was stripped out. It took 2 hours to get it to spin out. Old Mount was removed with out issue. Found not in bad shape about 70 percent as strong as the new one. But it was intact in like the totally collapsed passageway side. New mount went in with out any objection. ......
Tool Bicycle part Rim Metal Auto part

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design Bumper

About an hour and a half to get the stock air box back in and mated up to the outside vent snorkel. It's the damnedest kind of thing. It can not be forced in placed. Like a Chinese puzzle it just has to want to go in and the all of a sudden it just kind of fell in place and was lined right up. I put the on good screw in and will get a second screw sooner or later. I then took the time to put a nice clamp on the loose heat shield. Then clean up and tool inventory and put away. I believe an oil change in the next 3 days and I will have the front mount swapped out while the car is on the lift.
Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive exterior Gas Auto part

I have the Silicone intake tube. To have had to deal with the stock intake baffle I imagine would have been an additional time consuming battle. So my rear motor mounts are new and my upper heat shield is quietly in place.

· Registered
1,515 Posts
I had the same problem getting my air box out last week. I ended up cutting a groove in the bolt head with a Dremel tool and getting a hammer on it to get it to budge loose. I replaced them 10mm hex bolts when putting everything back together .

· Premium Member
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #275 · (Edited)
Well a wonderful vacation week continued. Today I did what I often do to compound a memory of an event I do something to the car in conjunction with the event. So today was the Great Marques Concours D'Elegance September 17 2022 CannonBall Day. Since SmartBall 2021 was a true CannonBall Run and the event was right here in my own back yard, Old Westbury, NY, it would not have been right for The Harlem Edition to miss out.
So 40 min from home we were at the CannonBall field of dreams in the Old West Bury Gardens. To seal the Event Memory...... The Harlem Edition's front lip spoiler was installed right there on the field of dreams.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Land vehicle Vehicle registration plate

Now this Harlem Edition official chin spoiler was installed on CannonBall Day 9/17/2022.
and every time I am chatting about the spoiler at a Cars and Coffee I will get to say that from now on ,,,, :giggle:

Brown Textile Sleeve Bag Font

Car Vehicle Land vehicle Tire Wheel

You would think a beautiful drive, a fantastic event of Super Star CannonBall cars and drivers and a Spoiler install would be enough. But the Heavens kept raining Joy with the Ultra CannonBaller Ed Bolian passing by and saying hello...

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Then the Original CannonBall Icon not only members you but Graciously chats with you and poses with The Harlem Edition.....

Wheel Tire Jeans Plant Car

The Harlem Edition, One Lapper, CannonBaller, Track Nighter and Dragon Slayer tail and back, May Never Look This Cool Again. Brock Yates Jr., I could never Thank You enough,
Hell you wouldn't let me anyway.

👍🫶✌🙏

· Super Moderator
18,148 Posts
If I may, one of your next upgrades should be a floor jack. I see in one of the previous pictures a scissor jack next to a scene depicting a wheel swap in progress.

I used to use those scissor units until a Volkswagen Passat decided to shift its weight, crumpling the jack, damaging a rocker, and scaring the heck out of me.

Also also... great work! The Harlem Edition is looking real slick. :)

· Premium Member
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #279 ·
If I may, one of your next upgrades should be a floor jack. I see in one of the previous pictures a scissor jack next to a scene depicting a wheel swap in progress.

I used to use those scissor units until a Volkswagen Passat decided to shift its weight, crumpling the jack, damaging a rocker, and scaring the heck out of me.

Also also... great work! The Harlem Edition is looking real slick. :)
I keep a eye out for small jacks. As the scissor jack I use is for this Smart and fits perfectly behind the drivers seat. I am less comfortable with bottle jacks. But I like your advise so what I will do is see about welding a steal plate across the footing. All I am looking to do is get the tire a half inch off the ground. The times I want to slide under it I just put two tires up on the curb. if it has to be higher than that its off to the shop for the lift. I appreciate You. :love:

· Premium Member
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #280 ·
With todays oil and filter change I also satisfied two additional questions. One answer was that the Red Undertray has bore no chip damage or peeling of the paint to this point. So I believe a refresh in spring will be the next time I consent my attention to that. The second answer found was with the front center motor mount it was changed around 7,000 miles ago and since a bought a new set of mounts I had installed the rear two myself. I had the new front put in today. I can say the 7,000 mile mount had no signs of deteriorating. I was glad to see that and no with all three motor mounts brand new. I won't revisit that again for at least 30,000 miles I believe. So at 91 thousand miles the car is running as well as ever, and looking very good.

261 - 280 of 291 Posts