Smart Car of America Forum banner

41 - 60 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
The flex pipe breaking at the bottom is super common. A muffler shop should be able to fix that for like ~$50. :)
Well the flex pipe held on for 4 months then fully separated one morning on the way to work and I was Loud and low powered for 2 days.
Local Shop (FixMuffler.com) right across the street from Shea Stadium (City Field for Youngsters) Put In a new Flex pipe an I kept stock muffler but had them weld a curve pipe extension so I could have a exhaust tip. Wrapped it up in 45 min I was back in quiet mode.

I then got this Exhaust tip.

And this is the result.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
So now My Smart is Perfect again. As a SCOA friend said to me today, "I wish I could take it upstairs and put in in the living room" just drive it to the kitchen and back preserved for ever. .......
......... Naaaaaaaha. Time for 8 days, 4,000 miles One Lap of America Tour. Just about a week away. The Harlem Edition is waiting for a soft front spliter, and an ordered yesterday Go Pedal. Gonna clean it up. Minimize my cargo of tools and car care products, and hope the Go Pedal gets here in time. If not we will leave home with out it. I am only concerned about Denver. To get to the Mile high city we are gonna have to go up some steep hills. That may stress the little guy. Counting on The Go Pedal to help the dead pedal on the steep parts. I am not competing at the track events this year. I'll be waxing my ride, taking photos, and resting during the events. Just getting a birds eye view of what to expect for a full competition run in the 2020 One Lap Of America in a purpose built Smart.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Dropshots seems to no longer post my photos so I have been going through what I should repost. When I look at this photo, reminiscing. it was the best stance, comfort, rough surface ride quality of the different stages of my Smart.

I was on My way to Albany NY to pick up my current wheel and tire set. This was my original rims with the rear 5.5 rims with 195/50 15 tires on the front of the car and front 5.0 rims with 195/60 15 tires on the rear. They are in my bedroom closet now and I still intend to have the minor lip bends in them repaired and I would like to get a second pair of rear rims in the 6.0 width then I would go with a 205/55 or 60 in the rear.

I love my current set up, not as soft a ride but such a great handle with the 195/17 40's all around, but would like the original rims back on the car.
Just a stroll back perfect progression lol.

Go pedal is in NYC... delivery due tomorrow.....

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Radiator Fan repaired. As well as all prior damaged items on front end of car replaced full front end restoration. Seeing as I had purchased my Smart with front end damage and pieced it back together. With the need, opportunity, and resources all coming together at the same time ( what a blessing) with the front end of my Smart needing to be dismantled anyhow to remove and install a new OEM Fan All damaged items up front were replaced with new parts. All coat hangers, shoe strings, tape, and glued in place items are now brand new. Partial Laundry list includes Auxiliary Fan Assembly, Expansion Tank Cap, Radiator, Coolant/Antifreeze flush/R134 recharge, Front Bumper Center, Front lower bumper valance, Front Grill All hardware and fasteners, Radiator Support
AC Condenser, Headlights. With all Items reassembled, realigned tightened and torqued My Car is driving and feeling perfect.

Keith from Bay Diagnostics of Brooklyn oversaw the repairs.

Here is my review of the shop.

Perfect restoration!

My 2014 Smart fortwo had front end damage when I purchased it in 2016. I had pieced it back together with coat hangers, shoe strings, tape and glue. After 3 years and 25,000 miles a radiator fan issue brought me to Keith of Bay Diagnostic. Now I had been to the shop about 2 years ago when a brake light switch went bad. Ultimately I made that repair myself but after a nice conversation and look around the shop. I vowed then that this would be my repair shop for any major repair to my Smart. So with a Smart Fortwo Radiator Fan replacement qualifying as a major repair there wasn't any hesitation dropping my Smart off at the shop. After Keith confirmed the radiator fan indeed needed replacing. It was decided that we would take the opportunity to replace all the accident damage as almost all of those parts had to be removed anyway to reach the Smart Radiator Fan.

I picked my Smart up and am totally pleased and impressed with the fully restored front end of my Smart. All the fine work was done and came in under the quoted estimate. That makes it the Perfect restoration.
Bay Diagnostic..... Great people, vast knowledge, fine workmanship. Couldn't be Smarter. AL. T.
Recommended

With the shops assurances that My Smart needs nothing at this time and in Perfect running order..... you know that means is probably time to fix it.

Rear suspension and tires target for the fall. Idea; Double adjustable shocks with stock springs and 215/45 Hankooks on the rear. In a lot of discussions
during My Smarts One Lap Of America Adventure, a double adjustable rear shock set up with rebound and damper dialed in should control the Smarts movements pretty well. The tire size?, well more for looks than anything. After the planned West Coast run the car is intended to be more for show and soft local pleasure runs.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
So my Front end mostly complete. I will be replacing the under tray front to rear with a new one as I can see the forward under tray piece is part of the front clip support system. So before I start to get after every shake rattle and squeak I will need that under tray structure in tact. It also may effect the final clearance of my tire to wheel well clearance.

Here is a shot of my freshened up front end. On the ground is the new front splitter I am working on. So far so good.

Should be something like this in the final install. A little higher and a little wider should do it. it will have to wait until the under tray install is completed.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #50

Current state of the Harlem Condition as of 9/28/2019

Current Photo shopped wish list if desired near future changes.

1. Lower Side Skirts for lower look keeping Large tire size in place.
2. Matching Tires, move the 205/40 17 hankook ventus 2 tires up front retiring the Discontinued Yokohama 195/40 17s. In the rear will
go the matching Hankook Ventus 2 in wider thicker 215/45 17 tires out back.
3. Rear Bumper cover will be vented with the idea of exhausting engine area heat.
4. A newer Porsche 911 style brake light strip across the rear tailgate.
5. New front and rear under tray.
6. Installation of the ready to go front spliter, shown in earlier post, once belly pan is in place.

I am also Lobbying Raceland to make a coil over to make a coil over set up for Smarts.
May be ready for some bass with a subwoofer install.
If a head unit were to be swapped out I would go with navigation and back up camera.

So there you have the fall/winter Harlem Edition to do list. Not much Just Git Er Done.

·
17,372 Posts
The rear bumper cover already vents engine heat through gaping holes at the top of the bumper cover. :)

You'll see them if you look in the gap between tailgate and bumper. The steel crashmember resides in the area you wish to vent engine heat from.

Now you can make those holes up at top bigger, and IMO would give it more of that Porsche 911 look you're going for in doing so.

·
Registered
78 Posts
And those vents help economy as well, by venting high pressure air from inside the bumper into the low pressure air to the rear of the vehicle as it is in motion. I've never experimented with them, but I suspect the contribution to cooling and reducing drag - and therefore improving economy - is a noteworthy one.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
The rear bumper cover already vents engine heat through gaping holes at the top of the bumper cover. :)

You'll see them if you look in the gap between tailgate and bumper. The steel crashmember resides in the area you wish to vent engine heat from.

Now you can make those holes up at top bigger, and IMO would give it more of that Porsche 911 look you're going for in doing so.
I really would put two small exhaust fans there that kick on when the radiator fan kicks on but New York City parkers' would smash them

this bumper kit has extra vents.

i would be more in this area.

·
17,372 Posts
I'd recommend removing the bumper and seeing what's behind there before cutting. If you go too low you won't be venting anything but crash structure. :) That's why the aftermarket bumpers with extra vents keep them near the top of the panel.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Its just air so it will vent even more so when moving. I will not be installing a cold air intake in the Harlem Edition but I would think the cooler this area the better for those who have one.

after takling cues for this custom Smart........

......I have decided on this for the rear bumper area.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #57 (Edited)

The Power Design Side Scoop is ordered. Finally found it in stock. Paid to much but I found it and pulled the trigger. Ram air, lol ... At the price paid, I will secure it extremely well and even somehow tether it just in case. Any how that piece is about to be checked off the wish list.

While I was in such a spend thrift mood I ordered the Aluminum Foot Pedals and a gear shift boot also. Now I will retreat to the cheapster I am in credit card time out.

·
King of Smart Gadgetry
1,050 Posts
I took the poor mans budget approach when I did my rear valance vent. I painted some of that mesh stuff that goes over your house gutters to keep the leaves out. I epoxied it to the opening I had cut out with a utility knife. My "3" for 3 cylinder was from a GMC one ton van and it was crooked for the picture.

Then for the side skirts I did 4 red leds with a 5th white one in the middle. Then I cut out the opening towards the rear and placed a white led in behind that to shine through it. I then added the front fender vents which light up from behind with a baby blue color el tape. It's not for everybody, but I like lights and it works for me. And being visible in an 8 foot long car is never a bad idea. DCO

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #59

One of the Biggest at the show with one of the smallest at the Show.

At the Top Gear Cars and Cafe Auto show Paramus NJ.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #60 (Edited)
Power Design side scoop delivered from Athens Greece. Nice piece Of work. After looking things over it seemed best to leave the original vent in place and install the Power Design piece on top of it. I cleaned the area then peeled the double sided tape and pressed it in place. ...... niiiiiiiiiice. Not bulky or obtrusive to the eye. Nice OEM look. The double sided tape is one of the most secure I have seen in a long time, it's not going anywhere. Makes me want to go KnN now...lol

Makes me kinda wish this Scoop was on both sides. I'll see what i can do to enhance the gas door on the other side. But this is a thumbs up add on.

41 - 60 of 90 Posts