Smart Car of America Forum banner

81 - 100 of 116 Posts

·
10Year+ Supporting Member
3,521 Posts
I do not know if that red under tray is photo shop or not, but there is a lot of overspray to deal with.

·
I'll figger this car out
339 Posts
LOL ... yes that s a photo shop. But l'll be painting mine before installing the two pieces so over spray wont be near the car.
Terrific idea! I like to follow the Citroen/Volvo Euro style of painting the underpanels white or silver, but did want to know where you sourced them. I have tried to source items locally and discover that one by one, I am getting info that parts such as these are NLA from suppliers.

I will keep looking because sometimes it's handy to have local sources.

I am also looking for the spare tire cover which completely covers the spare, and haven't found that yet. Someone once showed a model that was orange. I don't know if that was a plastic one that had been painted, or if the color was mixed into the mold before it was created.

·
I'll figger this car out
339 Posts
Mud Flaps installed.

Cell phone holder perfect position achieved.

My chosen storage solution is two of these in red under the Cargo Cover
<iframe width="484" height="272" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
There is a very study crate which is available from Costco and which costs under $10.00. heavier ABS plastic

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
The reset works

I do the throttle body reset AS NEEDED.

If I accelerate at max from a full stop to high speed, the car acts very aggressive (much higher initial rpms) from then on at any stops. (or reverses!)

So I do a reset (if I remember) before starting up the next time I'm in it.

The difference is very obvious, the car engine has much higher arps if I don't reset, it is very calm idle if the reset works. I have done it wrong occasionally, if I'm in a hurry, so I make myself wait for all the dash to go dark before starting the engine. ?
Overall I don't pull hard throttles. I drive fast at top end but mild stop light to stop light.

When I do pull a hard throttles more and more often that type of hard pull leaves me in need of a reset. The worst case is a hard pull on to the highway. Then into bumper to bumper traffic. Cause each time from full brake, upon lift the tranny bumps into gear. It's not only annoying but feels harmful.

When rest car is perfectly soft and smooth.

Question is weather what causes this is more a mechanical reaction or a software sensor issue.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
The 450's are minimum 15 year old cars, the 451's are minimum 5 year old cars. The uniqueness of them made parts sources limited to began with then once you pull the Mercedes network off the table it is a matter of hunting for parts. My order of search is SCoA marketplace, ebay, Amazon, Autobahn dismantlers, cragis list, Facebook marketplace, junk yards.
Sachs still produces parts also.

So it will take leg work but they have proved durable over all. Other then tires and fluids most parts won't have to be replaced 3 times what're ever you replace should last a good while outside of accidents.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
My wish and desire list often crashes in to my wallet constraints, At that point PMD Motorsports (Poor Mans Dollar) refocuses and dictates the the pace of things.

So I have been nursing a damaged rim with a back up spare wheel in place (Just killing the look and vibe of my car but as it is my daily driver has keep it fully functional at no cost). I have wish listed a new set of smaller 15 x 6,5 wheels with 205 /50 15 tires for replace my 17 x 6 front rims. I have also wish listed a set of 17 x 7.5 wheels with 215/45 17 tires for my rear set up. Either way its about a 500 to 600 dollar trigger pull

Well PMD Motorsports says "you gotta know when to Hold em"

So for 75 bucks I had my damaged wheel fixed and remounted. A 20 dollar tip and and for under one hundred dollars I am back on track with no stress or urgency. The wish list stays intact but now the trigger pull will come when I come across a bargain.

I also bought my 15 mm 1/2 inch drive lug socket 5 bucks and priced nice Craftsman 1/2 drive Breaker bar at 13 bucks I'll pick that up soon. And I am keeping up with a SCoA thread for a mini jack solution looks to be about 20 dollars, so my road repair kit should be secure very shortly.

Now with no urgency or stress I can get to the "red bottom under tray" which will lead to Finally getting a front splitter attached. Which lead in to my driving/fog lights placement.

·
17,384 Posts
The youngest 450s are 13 years old (2007s) with the youngest 451s being 4 year old EDs (2016 was the final year for 451, EDs only). :)

Reactions: twcom

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
The Red Bottom Undertray and front splitter are ordered. All that is needed is a break in the weather.
I also ordered additional weather stripping to seal up the rest of the air drafts.

I am now back on all four 17 x 6 Genius Darwins I have the 195/40 17 Yokohama S drives up front, a nd although both are balanced and car is very smooth I do feel the steering is ever so slightly off center, so I may have knocked the alignment out when I hit that massive pot hole that put my front right rim out of commission for over a month,

I have decided to put this type of head rest on my wish list,

this may be enough to get me past my roll bar hoops vision.

But today I will just reduce all hatch area clutter so tomorrows drive will have as little unnecessary rattles as possible.
And a photo ready clean up.

·
17,384 Posts
Should be noted that the seats you have pictured are 450 seats, which are an entirely different design than the 451. :) You will not be able to mount that headrest without a considerable amount of custom work.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
Yes so its to take /make the triangle doughnut, attach it to a stretchable mesh that could then slide over the top of the 451 seat. No issue for an upholstery shop, a bit of a sewing task as a DIY affair.

So ill find a acceptable price point., Right now in my mind it looks good. Reality remains to be seen lol

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #93 (Edited)
Front Splitter arrived Today Under tray due tomorrow.

This was the original mock up idea, although the final spliter will be different nice to think its closer to getting done.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
This is final Splitter placement...

Still have to find permanent mounting solution. This was a temp fitting not ready for highway speed.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
Still waiting on a full break in the weather to lay on the ground for undertray and splitter install, a little self promoting add on was easy enough.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #99

Took that 71 degree 30 min heatwave today and got the Front Splitter mounted. Thinking small 4 inch splitter bars. May just DIY some for 2 dollars Just because it is a PMD build lol.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
So with Splitter in place and possible rear diffuser arriving shortly. The future to do item will be a rear wiper delete and rear window louver install as seen photoshopped here....

current projects to keep my self focused.

Floor mats.
Rear bumper repair and parking guard solution,
Greek Halo headlights.
17x7.5 Genius rear wheels.
215/45 17 Hankook ventus concept 2 tires.
Paint and install new Undertray.
Driving lights.
Carbon fiber mirror covers.
Wire up the installed side mirror signal blinkers.
Under dash sub woofer
450 style head rest.
Evilution style silicone intake hose.
Flow Master DBX muffler.
Double Adjustable rear shock
Unknown front suspension solution.
Back up camera wireless.
Rear window louver.

81 - 100 of 116 Posts