Smart Car of America Forum banner

101 - 120 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
While I have had Louvers on my brain here is what happened......

It works out well in my mind.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
It photoshops well, and looks good taped on, as it matches my hood louvers, but its a funny kind of curve right there. I may need a heat gun to get the grill inserts to conform. Not to mention I'd either have to sand the rear of the grill insert flat or cut out that panel. hmmmm.......

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
So what is the Harlem Edition?

A Purpose Built Country Road Car, Ideal for Parking in the City for a Night Out On Town all on the Same Tank of Fuel.

·
Registered
333 Posts
2Com, looking at that pic, wow... it is really nice. But if you decide to do the EV springs, you may need to do the front and rear... just the front would not look right. Just my 2cents worth.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
2Com, looking at that pic, wow... it is really nice. But if you decide to do the EV springs, you may need to do the front and rear... just the front would not look right. Just my 2cents worth.
I do think you are right but I would put the fronts on first hopping that it would bring me even.
I have a good two fingers clearance in the rear, nearly tucked in the front. If I was even I would stay. I like the rake.

The new splitter is sitting low so the illusion of the rake will still be there. Im going to fill the back gap up with a 215/45 17 tire. Of course I still have not moved the springs from the ebay cart to check out yet ..lol

·
Registered
333 Posts
I still have not gotten the new pic yet, but here are the old ones I took, you can see the b4 and after.
Its about a 1.5" lift on the fronts, maybe a tad more. When I compared the old vs new springs, they were almost
identical in height/width... but e350 said these new ones were thicker in diameter.

Attachments

·
Registered
337 Posts
That has a mean stance. Did you ever think about the spacers for the wheels. I put 17mm spacers fore and aft, and the handling is superb!

·
Registered
333 Posts
I did! Fronts only, and it does handle better... but then again, thats just my opinion. The rears.... thinking about that!

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
So while my wife was on an essential errand to day I took off the front spliter and put it in the hatch area.

When we got back home and unmasked outselves and took decontamination measures ( shaking my head) I got the
first splitter attempt pieces out of the closet and with the Dremel and Electric screw driver I removed all social distancing between all the pieces.

So this piece taken back off car.......

Merged with the passenger side......

as this merged with the drivers side ........

And this is the the After result.

when it makes it back out to the car is another story but for now ready and just 5 bolts away from being back on the car

·
Registered
21 Posts
Well I read a lot of post, I am relearning how to drive my car and I have lubed everything with silicone. The car is the best its been since I have had it. I still could do with out "creep mode"
in bumper to bumper traffic but the last Lube of the Clutch Actuator seem to have made the clutch back off smoother certainly softer not as demanding. Its like the creep its self is a softer push. A video on where to lube the transmission gears and the Clutch actuator proved priceless. A post about Lubing the chassis points had me under the car spraying every pivot point with silicone. The harshness on the bumps are 90 percent less. I believe Iwould spray the chassis every oil change for sure, once a month might be my schedule as I feel that much difference. In auto, the car shifts gears with no bouncing or stutter, shifting gears on my own is butter smooth. A little reading, a little learning and lots of lube and the car is better then when I thought it was perfect.

Now I need another one ......
Could you share where you found the lub videos? Our car send to do the same as yours, sounds like something my husband could do.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #112

The suspension is just to spray every pivot point and bushing you can reach, think how older vehicles use to have lube points, remember back when the saying was "car needs and oil change and lube job." Smarts at least my 2014 451 passion have a place to change oil but no place for a lube job. Its harsh ride quality over time is a result of that. Metaphorically if we could dip our cars in oil they would benefit greatly. Meantime Spray Silicon lubricant on anything that should move freely on the suspension.

Study and use the "throttle reset" and the "transmission relearn" procedures. Practice driving the car in the manual +/-
mode with the gear shift stick.

disclaimer..... I have a 2014 Passion and all I know about Smart cars are from my own car. I know nothing first hand about a 450, 452 or 453 model Smart car

I just Love my Smart :geek:

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #115
With the front Spliter 95% complete,

The side vents will begin to get real attention. I will also keep my eyes open for any price cut on the 17x 7.5 Genius Darwin wheels. Dont want to do any reckless spending during this COVID-19 pause but if those rims slide I would have to get them.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #116
Well I received some additional weather stripping, so car is really sealed well from wind noise. A small rear deffuser
that appears to be too fragile to be placed where I intended as city parkers will tear it up. The piece was in the New York postal system for 5 weeks and delivered with a small crack. A non issue but shows it clearly wont take a bump from a car squeezing in a space behind it. Those Items were all purchased before the the covid isolation. I have the Forge silicon intake hose in my check out cart but at 105 dollars including clamps, I am trying to wait until there is more sign of a return to more normal movement time. I did get to drive the car at a really good clip, my wife was surprised how fast we were going because there was no wind noise. Also the bracing on the front splitter has stiffened up the front panel that means less vibration over road cracks.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #117
Well running through a high puddle of water cracked the front splitter so that has been removed. I may Revisit it but it will not be on car for the California run. I have cleaned up my rear bumper appearance. Installed new Smart rubber floor mats. Put some nice end caps on my roof spoiler lip. Car is running extremely well (got a personal best 52.3 miles per gallon today on a 51.2 mile trip) Just perfect ....... you know what that means.... time to fix it,

I will be changing at least the front motor mount. My flex pipe is broken I think that is motor mount related. Since I had this flex pipe repaired once about 1 year and a half ago, I think its time for something different.......

...... This is my intention. The Flowmaster Hushpower DBX, by any means necessary gotta make it happen.

Then some type of three way camera system.

And still have not put on my under tray yet,

·
Registered
880 Posts
I bought the Forge for about the same price the year it came out. 2010 maybe. Still using it. I also got a knockoff copycat for about half that price 3 years ago that's still hanging in my shed...

·
Super Moderator
28,905 Posts
Where did you find the Flowmaster Hushpower DBX? I can't find the smart version on the Flowmaster site, eBay or Amazon? :)

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #120
I
Where did you find the Flowmaster Hushpower DBX? I can't find the smart version on the Flowmaster site, eBay or Amazon? :)
It is my intention to use the 2inch in and 2inch out welded in place of the big smart muffler. We will see what the results are.

So from the outside it should look like my current set up just shedding some weight and adding a bit of rumble.

101 - 120 of 133 Posts