·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
738 Posts
"Google-translated" as :

Smart has tuned to a two-day event in Berlin, the European dealer on expanding the model range and the new generation of vehicles. But to fire properly the first 2015.
Smart CEO Annette Winkler fourjoy : The four-seat show car Smart was presented at the IAA 2013. The design shows a much more assertive appearance by the new two- and four-seater generation.
( Photo: Daimler)
Saturday 14 December 2013 , 09.00 clock

News from the data center:

Berlin. Daimler will bring the next generation of its two-seat Smart mini-car in November 2014, to the market. At the same time also appears the all-new four-seater , ordered both vehicles are already in the summer. The new models, the brand of the Daimler Group expects in 2015 a "very strong sales growth." This has announced for information in the automotive week on a two-day meeting with some 800 European Smart dealers in Berlin, the Stuttgart-based car manufacturer. The price difference between the two models should be " surprisingly " low. In addition, for the first time the exact date was known when the current electric version of the smart fortwo will expire . The vehicle will continue to be built until 2016 and then replaced by the new series with an electric drive . This year, Smart expects a stagnant volumes in the order of 100,000 vehicles.
For Smart and Daimler the start of the new fortwo and a four-seat model is an important strategic decision . For the first time since 1998 when it was launched with the two-seater , the Smart brand , is a model developed from scratch again . At the same time the brand's portfolio expanded again to a four-seater - an attempt which had previously failed. After Daimler has already been sunk with Smart billion euros , the brand is now not just go around the world on course for growth , but finally retract a reasonable return .

Cooperation with Renault
2014 the most important year for Smart since its founding , was a key message from Daimler to dealers . The new vehicles will be developed in cooperation with our partner Renault and stand on the rear-wheel drive platform of smart . It derives from the successor of Renault small car Twingo, Smart brings a four-seater , whose name has not yet been announced. The old four-seater based on the front-wheel drive Mitsubishi Colt was forfour and was discontinued in 2006. The four-seater run in Slovenian Renault plant in Novo Mesto from the tape. While Renault does not receive a two-seater smart fortwo developed the successor of which is manufactured in our own factory in Hambach, Lorraine . Are driven both the two-and the four-seater exclusively of three- cylinder petrol engines , the two companies have jointly developed and are manufactured by the French.
The current two-seater electric Smart continues to be built by 2016. The vehicle did not come until late in June 2012 on the market, the ramp-up has been delayed by production problems in the lithium -ion battery. When the customer comes to the vehicle : In Germany, the smart electric drive market leader in Europe, the car is at number three electric cars. Also, the current fortwo with a combustion engine will continue to be produced in parallel to the new generation for specific markets such as the U.S. and China for some time because the vehicles in contrast to Europe much later arrived there on the market and are still fresh. All models can be mounted in Hambach parallel on a tape.

·
Super Moderator
28,237 Posts
Not really (once we get past the original plan to bring the 453 here in 2014....); we knew the 453 would be released for the EU next year; good to see the four seater will be out at the same time. We also knew the 451 ED would continue for some time before switching to the 453 platform - just didn't know when. What we still don't know is when the 453 fortwo will come to the US and if the four seater will be sold in the US market at all. :)

·
Registered
5,191 Posts
Traditionally a 2014 would be available now at most manufacturers. Sometimes the model comes out early the YOM. At the latest March which would make it a 2014 1/2. Like the 64 1/2 Mustang. Now its at the end of 2014 which makes it a 2015 almost a 2015 1/2 model or early 2016 model. Keeps getting pushed down the road.

·
Super Moderator
28,237 Posts
All true, if the car in question is released for its entire market at the same time. smart doesn't do that, which is why the ROW got the 2007 451 but we got the 2008. :)

·
Smartmadness.com
1,216 Posts
I'm glad current form smart ED will be made till 2016
I too hope the new smart for four will make it to US next year
My guess is we will not see the new 453 until LATE 2014 for the 2014 models are already at dealers.

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
I wasn't planning on seeing the 453 in the USA until at least 2015. I just hope its not Q4 of 2015, cause I may have another car by then, and smart will miss their chance.

·
Premium Member
673 Posts
I wasn't planning on seeing the 453 in the USA until at least 2015. I just hope its not Q4 of 2015, cause I may have another car by then, and smart will miss their chance.
That's the story of smart in the U.S. they seem to always miss their chance.

·
Premium Member
7,592 Posts
What makes you think it's "if"? :confused:
Don't think the 453 for U.S.A. is so much an "if" as WHEN? :confused:

Hardly matters what dates smartUSA may have issued to the press - see Ed rollout for their most recent example . . .

M-B smartUSA seems to have a very difficult time making a commitment and then managing their calendar?

The good news, with the release of the 453 in Europe, they can be the first year 453 Beta testers . . . :wink:

Has anyone heard any pronouncements from The Webster lately?

·
17,344 Posts
Still wishing us a happy summer over on smart USA Insider....:)
That place still exists? :eek:

No matter how the rollout will take place, we will get the 453 significantly later than the Europeans.

At this point, it looks the the EU model will release in Q4 2014 as a 2015 model. We will then get them here in the US some months later as a 2016 model.

That gives the current gen 451 petrol model a total production lifespan of about 8 years. Which is funny, because that's about how long the 450 went before its production ended.

The Electric Drive soldiers on to 2016, giving it a total of 7 years of production if you begin counting with the first "lease only" Phase IIs.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts