Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Lady stopped short at a red light in the rain and slid into her going 1 mph didnt leave a dent on her car but as you can see from the pictures tore off my front bumper. i called the local mercedes dealership and the guy working told me "i am kinda new to ordering smart car parts we dont get many in here but bring your car down and we will look at it"

well i know what i need a new front panel. does anyone have one for sale or they can donate to me if you have multiple colors or what not? i am pretty in need and dont have the thousands of dollars it will take to repair it at the mercedes dealership. if anyone one has any advice or could help me out i would appreciate it. i am near the DFW area. thanks.

p.s. - the hood piece is fine

Attachments

·
Registered
4,338 Posts
Unless it's parralax in the lense, it looks to me like your smart is also cross eyed now. Plus the tabs are broken off for the grill. This means that you will at least need both front fenders, the center filler, and probably a new core support. Check the headlights as well. You either broke the core support, or snapped the mounting tabs off the headlights.

Good luck with the repair.:(

·
Registered
333 Posts
My advice is more pictures. We need to see the sides, front, top, bottom remove the bumper out of the way so we can inspect for damages.

·
Super Moderator
29,155 Posts
Evaluation by Internet - not the best approach. Park Place has been selling smarts since 08 and should know what the car needs. Let them look it over and order the parts; aren't they covered by insurance? :)

·
Registered
776 Posts
aren't they covered by insurance? :)
If he rear-ended her... it's going to be HIS insurance that would pay. I don't blame him for wanting to do the work himself.

Sorry for your accident... hope you find the parts you need without breaking the bank!

:smartje.bl.zl:

·
Registered
382 Posts
If she had time to stop, she didn't stop short; YOU just didn't plan on stopping, were surprised she did, and rammed into her! It happens to me all the time in Philly. They put up these red light cameras so now, there's no room for error, if I can stop, I stop. Many other Philadelphians, accustomed to ignoring traffic laws (it is, after all, pretty much a lawless city) and/or who have no intention of paying the fines, continue right through, though the ones behind me often aren't happy.

·
Banned
133 Posts
If a light is yellow or red, I assume people are going to stop (even if they sometimes don't). It seems assuming anything else is a recipe for disaster, since most people will stop for a red light.

Now, stopping at a green gets me every time but that's why it's good not to tailgate. ;)

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
if a light is yellow or red, i assume people are going to stop (even if they sometimes don't). It seems assuming anything else is a recipe for disaster, since most people will stop for a red light.

Now, stopping at a green gets me every time but that's why it's good not to tailgate. ;)
assume :D

·
Banned
907 Posts
If a light is yellow or red, I assume people are going to stop (even if they sometimes don't). It seems assuming anything else is a recipe for disaster, since most people will stop for a red light.

Take it one step further....assume the person in front of you is going to stop for no apparent reason whatsoever. That'll help keep you a more-than-reasonable distance from the person in front of you and avoid accidents.

·
Banned
133 Posts
Well it's like assuming a growling dog will bite. Safer than assuming it won't. ;)

@Critical: Agreed. Really, I try to react to what is actually happening rather than what I imagine will happen, though there are cues to what will happen for the astute observer.

·
Registered
159 Posts
... though there are cues to what will happen for the astute observer.

And then you get behind the idiot with no brake lights on their car. :rolleyes: So you have to be observant of things like that too. I've got twin daughters who are just now getting their learner's permits & I'm always pointing things out that they have to watch for.

·
Registered
776 Posts
When I was first learning to ride my motorcycle, I was given a piece of advice that has served me well in driving my smart too:

"Drive like nobody can see you and everybody wants to hit you."

·
Registered
159 Posts
I was never given that advice but learned it very quickly and gave it to a lot of beginning riders through the years. I couldn't tell you how many times I've made eye contact with somebody and then had them pull out in front of me when I was on my motorcycle.

I bought my first motorcycle 2 weeks before my 16th birthday. 1 week before my 16th birthday a guy in a car stopped at a stop sign then proceeded to drive through the intersection right into the side of me.

·
Registered
400 Posts
1 mile an hour Hmmmmm.....
A truck tore the same parts up in our SMART (it was in a parking lot with no one in it) I think it cost around $1200.

·
Banned
133 Posts
I ride motorcycles too, and definitely learned to pay attention. It's one reason I am still alive to talk about it. ;) Being a rider definitely teaches you to watch for everything and plan for the unexpected.

·
Registered
98 Posts
When I was first learning to ride my motorcycle, I was given a piece of advice that has served me well in driving my smart too:

"Drive like nobody can see you and everybody wants to hit you."
Better yet:

"Drive like nobody can see you and everybody wants to KILL you."

Drove a motorcycle for 15 years and had to take that attitude to survive.
No broken bone, but lots of scrapes to prove it.

·
Premium Member
1,278 Posts
1 mile an hour Hmmmmm.....
A truck tore the same parts up in our SMART (it was in a parking lot with no one in it) I think it cost around $1200.
That's why I always park in a spot where everybody has a LOT of room around them (and I usually have to walk further than everyone else in the lot). But I've done that with all my cars - I've learned the hard way not to trust other parkers.

(The instance that taught me the lesson was when someone pulled up onto the front of my 1974 Alfa Romeo Spider. They have a really long, low "nose".) Since then, I just assume everyone else parks by "ear" - they stop when they hear their car bump the one in front or back of them. :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts