Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there an OBD2 connection port under the driver's side dash on the electric Smarts? I assume the gasoline versions have them and I suspect that the electrics would have them too because I think they are required. If they do have them, what kind of codes can you read with a home OBD unit? I've got one that I use for my '99 and '03 Mercedes and am wondering if it will be of any use with an electric Smart?

Len

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
YES there is an OBD II port under the steering wheel.

I have a BLUETOOTH OBD connection that I use with my ipad for my ICE smart and other vehicles.

In an ICE, you are able to read all the basic engine parameters (intake temp, water temp, ignition, yada yada yada)

I tried it on my electric smart. Just sat there.

It may be able to read trouble/fault codes? But until I actually have one, I can't say for sure?

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I have a nice BT ELM one and moved that to the ED the first week I had it. You can read fault codes, and a few basic items, but most of the default things (oil temp/presure, etc) are simply not there. Based on how the app is written it can crash, hang, give odd values, or simply report an error. Most crashed. :)

I did actually get an engine light once and called smart with the code. I forget what it was now, but it was something simple, and they said it was safe to reset it if I had the means. Turns out you can reset codes, just like in the ICE, and one of the simpler apps was able to do that easily.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Bumping this thread up, to inquire if anybody knows of an inexpensive bluetooth OBD2 dongle that actually works with the Smart ELectric? My trusty old generic tester doesn't read anything, and a $6 bluetooth adapter I picked up recently, that works fine in our other cars, doesn't work in the EV. Thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'd be curious too if there is something useful and reasonably priced out there. The ICE code readers give you generic codes and readings for the the ICE engine that don't apply to the EV's. We've got no engine, we've got no transmission. We don't need no stinkin' code reader. :)

Len
2014 EV

·
Registered
832 Posts
Bumping this thread up, to inquire if anybody knows of an inexpensive bluetooth OBD2 dongle that actually works with the Smart ELectric? My trusty old generic tester doesn't read anything, and a $6 bluetooth adapter I picked up recently, that works fine in our other cars, doesn't work in the EV. Thoughts?
There is this

I funded the indiegogo thing: It's a no-go. I spent countless hours over several weeks with them trying to debug it. It never worked.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Well I'll be assembling that CAD battery data reader rferenced in another thread in the near future, will let you know how that goes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I tried my ELM connector WiFi with the FourStroke and iOBD2 app on the iphone and no luck getting any data. Was able to connect to the ELM but no data. Confirmed all was working when connected to the Civic.

·
Registered
808 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Unfortunately, the "ELM327" is broadly counterfeited and it's very difficult to tell what part you're going to get from any given supplier or website.

If another user reports that it works, it's quite likely that you have different ELM units (one or perhaps even both counterfeit) than it being something with your car or phone configuration.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts