Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow! So many things going on in my life right now. A couple questions for you guys if you know.

1. Will the US Spec Smart car be on a CAN bus for OBDII or a Mercedes spec bus? Trouble being, now that its a Mitsu motor who knows.

2. Are you buying the clock/tach combo for your car?

Aaron Lephart

·
Registered
171 Posts
1. Will the US Spec Smart car be on a CAN bus for OBDII or a Mercedes spec bus? Trouble being, now that its a Mitsu motor who knows.
By law, all cars sold in US, starting in 2008, must use ISO 15765-4, a variant of a CAN bus for On Board Diagnostics.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Since I thought a Mercedes spec bus was some kind of custom motorhome, I'll leave question 1 alone.

On question 2, no I won't be ordering the extra instruments. I think they're ugly and I don't need them. They fit really well with the "funky" interior of the original 450 smart, but IMHO don't really go with the more grown-up look of the new model.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Aaron

There are several lengthy discussions about the CAN OBDII interface on the smartamnia Brit web site. Couple of "tuner" guys and a fellow that makes a external info display (not a programmer)

www.smartmania.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=5449

Sounds like it is on the CAN bus and should be ISO compliant to US requirements but I get the impression that MB has secret codes and some encrypted areas...and of course they (MB) are not too willing to divulge all the info. Lots of European folks researching and reverse engineering to apply "tunes" or just set normal ECU options without needing to seek out (and pay) a MB dealer with the right scan tool and software

·
Registered
13 Posts
Air Cooled Engine

I Don't Think Anyone Has Brought Up How The Engine Is Cooled.
I Think It Is Air Cooled.and There Isn't Many Air Cooled Around.

Can Anyone Confirm That The Trans. Will Have A Conventional
Park, Reverse, Neutral, Drive Set Up.

Does The Front Hood Come Off As A Separate Piece Or Is It Hinged.

Ray Leen:):(

·
Registered
834 Posts
I Don't Think Anyone Has Brought Up How The Engine Is Cooled.
I Think It Is Air Cooled.and There Isn't Many Air Cooled Around.

Can Anyone Confirm That The Trans. Will Have A Conventional
Park, Reverse, Neutral, Drive Set Up.

Does The Front Hood Come Off As A Separate Piece Or Is It Hinged.

Ray Leen:):(
don't know, think water

yes conventional

separate piece that comes off

·
Registered
86 Posts
Aircooled???? That would be funny.:D Not a chance of people making a modern engine that way....it wouldn't be as efficient no matter what you did, to many variables. And long term reliability would be very short term.

·
Banned
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you for the replys guys! Forum did'nt notify me of responses even though I subscribed!

Aaron Lephart

1 - 10 of 10 Posts