Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

Anyone knows an app that give us information about the battery thru ODB2 interface?

Something like LEAF SPY, but for a SMART ED.

Thank you!

·
Registered
153 Posts
I make and sell (via @sokoloff on the forum) a unit that another member here originally developed.

That is focused on periodic battery health monitoring, not on real-time display like Leaf Spy does. (The unit does have the ability to output periodic logs to the serial port of a laptop, but that's not the primary use case and there is no nice user interface for real-time monitoring like Leaf Spy.)

Battery Management System Interface for smart Electric Drive for more info.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
I'm not a software or hardware engineer, so maybe the answer is obvious, but I'm curious why the battery pack data, or for that matter, all of the OBD information, cannot be accessed simply with windows software? That is how I access the OBD on my Subaru (open source FreeSSM and RomRaider) and my Hyundai (a commercial OBD software product). Why the need for the intervening hardware?

·
Registered
91 Posts
I had purchased an elm15 Bluetooth obd2 adapter to use Torque and for some reason it’s not talking on the canbus properly to the ecu. This hardware and the loaded arduino software are capable of talking properly. The author of this project has another one he built that does real-time monitoring but he chose to talk to an internet based app called blynk instead of the format Torque would like to see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
153 Posts
I'm not a software or hardware engineer, so maybe the answer is obvious, but I'm curious why the battery pack data, or for that matter, all of the OBD information, cannot be accessed simply with windows software? That is how I access the OBD on my Subaru (open source FreeSSM and RomRaider) and my Hyundai (a commercial OBD software product). Why the need for the intervening hardware?
It looks like both those packages read the older K-line (or L-line) protocol, which is relatively easy to decode on a computer.

The smart (and most cars after 2008) send their diagnostic information over a CAN (controller area network) bus, which is most effectively decoded using a dedicated CAN transceiver and interface chip due to tighter timing requirements than the older K-line protocol.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts