Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I turn the ignition on in my 2014 smart, I get a flashing wrench and, where the odometer should display, either -347 or -348 is displayed. After a short time, the display reverts to the odometer and the flashing wrench goes away. The car runs perfectly. The protocol for resetting the flashing wrench at 10,000 mile intervals does nothing.

I used a high-quality scanner on the OBD2 port and there are no failures logged. I did a reset just in case and there was no change.

The car still has some wiring from the days when it was a Car2Go. I wonder if that may be doing something.

Does anyone have a clue what may be giving me these indications?

·
Super Moderator
1,557 Posts
And tomorrow it should show the wrench and -349. Means it is that many days past the last time the service indicator was reset. The reset procedure sometimes has a mind of it own. When the odometer returns to normal and you press the button twice, do you get that same reading?

Len
2014 EV Coupe 16,000 miles
2014 EV Cabriolet 6,500 miles

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I found several different reset procedures on the net, but none of them affect the wrench and -348. The smart is indicating 100-degrees even at the moment, so I'll drop fooling with it for now.

The oil was changed several months ago at 20,000 miles, so I know that is OK.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks.

I had watched that video and repeated that sequence a number of times without results. I also tried several other variations that I found on the web.

My dash display is a bit different from any of the displays I found in the videos. Maybe it is different because it was a Car2Go. I do notice that the timing of things appearing on the display is different than any of the videos

Oh well. It really doesn't matter a whole lot. I know when I changed oil and I can just change it again at about 27500 miles.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Thanks.

I had watched that video and repeated that sequence a number of times without results. I also tried several other variations that I found on the web.

My dash display is a bit different from any of the displays I found in the videos. Maybe it is different because it was a Car2Go. I do notice that the timing of things appearing on the display is different than any of the videos

Oh well. It really doesn't matter a whole lot. I know when I changed oil and I can just change it again at about 27500 miles.

Keep trying to reset it every once in a while. As was said before, it has a mind of its own. On my gas smart it took 10+ tries until it finally reset, other times it resets on the first try.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
896 Posts
Keep trying to reset it every once in a while. As was said before, it has a mind of its own. On my gas smart it took 10+ tries until it finally reset, other times it resets on the first try.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Keep trying to reset it every once in a while.
I agree. It took me a week and a dozen tries.
Very frustrating to say the least.
On my Toyota just hold in the A trip odometer button, turn the key to position 1 hold and all reset.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know this will sound completely idiotic but have you tried it with your door shut? When I got mine the dealer had changed the oil but it was a Honda dealership and apparently didn't know how to reset the wrench. I did the same as you, Googled it and tried it over and over with no luck. Our weather was running above 100 degrees for a few weeks so I always had the door open. One day I got in it after work and had already shut the door when I decided to try it again. For some reason that time it worked. The only difference was the door was closed. I realize it sounds squirrely and it may have been a coincidence but it might be worth a shot.

·
Super Moderator
28,960 Posts
None of those matter. The sequence will work once the operator gets the timing right, and that takes a few tries. It can be infuriating but eventually it will work. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts