Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
last week I hopped in my car after a weekend of leaving it parked (I have had my car since late May and so far have put on about 4800 miles - all of which have been issue free) Car fired up as usual, however I noticed on backing up I was getting a slight hesitation (more than the usually first gear stutter) and some real low end sputtering in all gears below 2500 rpm. I drove about 60 -80 miles that day and noticed that as the car would warm up the sputtering became more pronounced especially at long lights. I thought maybe it was just poor gas. I have the Torque pro for my tablet and noticed some Fuel errors mostly voltage returns that were out of spec but it seems I have seen them previously.

I was at 2/3 tank and decided to fill it and see if it improved. the performance was a little better but not much. I noticed at stop lights the idle would go from 950-1000 and drop to 850 for about two seconds then jump back up. The situation seemed to be worse with the AC running.

The next morning I went out thinking I would be calling the dealer and the car started and ran with no indication of a problem and has not done it since. Any ideas?, perhaps bad gas? I always run 91-93 octane gas and try to add a fuel treatment every other tank. could it be ethanol causing this?

·
Super Moderator
11,218 Posts
Has it been wet out? (raining , etc) Had mine act like that and it ended up being water in the engine connectors. Possibly a spark coil going out, they usually act up cold, then get better as they dry out.

The owners manual cautions against using additives, but that is up to you. Sounds like it could be some bad gas (or old gas) the newer fuels don't last long sitting in a tank waiting to be used.

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
You can eliminate bad fuel/ ethanol as it would keep having the problem till you drained/removed or burned it off. My guess is you are looking for an electrical problem.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts