Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This symptom just started last week.

When I startup my car on a cold start the engine starts up in a normal timely fashion, revs to a normal level, and within 2 seconds it slows down to barely 1000 RPM. It will sit there, then rev up to around 2000 RPM on its own.

So to sum it up, it starts up, slows down, then speeds up to compensate. It only happens on the first start, if I turn off the car and try again it doesn't happen. :shrug:

I'm going to look over my recently changed air filter, throttle body, and surrounding areas.

One thing that I noticed, about 500 miles ago when I changed my spark plugs, the left plugs coil had about two drops of oil on the side of it inside the cylinder. :eek:

No check engine lights or performance issues while driving.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Answer:

The air intake has a main hose that goes into the Throttle body and a second connection to the top of the engine. I forgot to plug in that part that goes into the top of the engine and I believe that was 100 percent my problem. I will test a startup sequence again soon and see what happens.

Question:

What does the little hose that connects to the main air intake hose do? How bad was it that I forgot to connect it over the last 2-3 weeks?

·
Registered
9,044 Posts
...the little hose provides filtered air to your engine case ....it has to breathe....as the oil pump "sucks" the oil from the reservoir it is this line that provides the clean fresh air to the case to maintain an stable atmosphere....

Jetfuel....say hello to the old man ....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts