Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car: 01 Smart 450 600cc (European)
Alrighty so I acquired the above mentioned car from a friend who was leaving the country for free because it would not work. I replaced all 6 plugs and the cyl 1 coil pack to clear the missfire issues, and a faulty MAP sensor. After starting I connected the code reader while running to clear the codes and got P0600 (connection issue). I then turned the car off and went to restart and nothing would happen. Now the key will only cycle the locks when the lock button is pressed and will not start. After trying to start a couple times i get the key on the dash. If I unhook the battery and hook it back up again a couple minutes later my key will work again but the locks cycle and the lights flicker on and off while trying to start. I don't have any experience with this car except the endless searching trying to find a similar problem. Does this mean my key is working or is my battery just too low to start the engine?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its possible. The battery is only 3 months old and has only been sitting for about a month. Then again you never know what quality you're getting here in Italy. Is there some sort of circuit that prevents the car from trying to start when the batter is too low? Ill have to try to jump it with my other car too see if that gets it to start.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
If the voltage is too low at startup the ECU and SAM can do some very strange things.

Try boosting the battery in the car. If that does not help unhook the battery in the smart and just temporarily connect a good battery and try to start.

If the battery in the car is bad and you replace it, make sure the alternator is working correctly, or you may quickly end up with another dead battery.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okie dokie. Ill try that tomorrow when I get off work. I thought my Audi was finicky, but I guess I stand corrected.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok so I got it started finally! The problem was 1. not charged enough battery 2. I was pressing the lock and then unlock button even though they were cycling which was causing a lock out. With the other car attached it would not start. Unhooked the car pressed the lock button and it finally started.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts