Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what is involved OR if I even can or should install a factory alarm system in my Passion? I have the alarm module and dash switches from a local salvage yard, but I have spoken with three random Smart dealers and they either don't know or just telling me that it can't be done and was told to buy an aftermarket. No body will even tell me what all components are needed.
I have already installed factory fog lights, through individual pieces,and had the dealer turn them on thru the computer, but they really dodged my alarm interest. Any help will be appreciated.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks jwhite, my only question that was answered was that "the wiring harness SHOULD contain the needed wiring & plugs, but no components". I do most of my own work and am not afraid to tackle most anything. Maybe I should return to the salvage yard and buy wiring harness !!

·
Registered
8,967 Posts
...+1 on the after market...the sensors and the whole set up is not worth the hazel....
...I think the bohemian moderator has a pic of all the components needed...

Jetfuel...my 2....

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
I do most of my own work and am not afraid to tackle most anything. Maybe I should return to the salvage yard and buy wiring harness !!
You my friend would be a trailblazer on this one. Please keep us in the loop on this journey.

Got the factory installed bargain can't imagine such a DIY project - juice isn't worth the squeeze.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just had this wild hair and thought that I would ask if it was possible. I guess that the more I was told that it "couldn't" be done, the more insistent I was to find a credible answer. Still not satisfied as to the "Why Not", but yes, even I can accept that the juice isn't worth the squeeze. I'll stand down on this idea and Thanks for the knowlegable advice.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
You'd be better off buying an aftermarket alarm system. For the amount of $$$ installing an OEM alarm would cost (assuming you could even do it without crippling the car's computers), you will get a far better alarm system.

Take it from me; I used to install alarms in an earlier lifetime.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have learned my lesson....I'll come here FIRST next time and receive the coveted "No-Nonsense" answer. THANKS EVERYONE !!!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Decided against it...

I too asked this question early on - and after a bit of research was told by smart USA that the option MUST be enable at the factory during production of the automobile. They would not discuss what item(s) had to be installed during production, but I am assuming some of the sensors are in hard-to-reach locations by design to make them difficult to disable. There was also a lot of hinting that the computer was different/upgraded to allow the alarm, but they did not give details. More memory perhaps?

Anyway, I too decided to go aftermarket, but have not yet picked out a system that has everything I want for a price I am willing to pay :)

Good luck and Merry Christmas!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts