Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody have opinion or experience with putting OEM fronts on the back? Or perhaps OEM front wheels with OEM rear tires on the back?

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
Fronts on all fours

As a matter of fact I do have some experience with all front wheels and tires on my smart car, while I was getting the 4 rear rims fitted with new tires, I drove the car around and I definitely would not recommend it for any extended period of time. It felt very squirrley and unstable to say the least, unless of course that is the type of experience you would like,just probably not on a daily basis though.
Does anybody have opinion or experience with putting OEM fronts on the back? Or perhaps OEM front wheels with OEM rear tires on the back?

·
Banned
5,087 Posts
I agree....if you want them all the same size, then use the rear size wheels all the way around with either 195/50R15's or you could go with 185/60R15's for an even BETTER 'ride'.

These two sizes are quite common and you'll have a wide range of tires/specs to choose from. While a 185/55R15 might be a 'perfect' size to upgrade, I've found you're really limited on choices.

But PLEASE don't do the 'front size' all the way around. Like 'magilly00' testified to, they've got to be squirrely....REALLY squirrely! :eek:

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
I agree....if you want them all the same size, then use the rear size wheels all the way around with either 195/50R15's or you could go with 185/60R15's for an even BETTER 'ride'.

These two sizes are quite common and you'll have a wide range of tires/specs to choose from. While a 185/55R15 might be a 'perfect' size to upgrade, I've found you're really limited on choices.

But PLEASE don't do the 'front size' all the way around. Like 'magilly00' testified to, they've got to be squirrely....REALLY squirrely! :eek:
Wouldn't the narrower tires cut through snow better ?It might be a trade off .

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
Wouldn't the narrower tires cut through snow better ?It might be a trade off .
in snow I believe "pounds per square inch" will win most every time. that is why if I push the eraser side of a pencil on the back of your hand - no problem - but when I use the other sharpen end - look out. My N50 Mickey Thompson tires on my race truck get great traction on a dry warm paved surface, they'll get the front end to lift off the ground. BUT try to drive these 13 inch width treads over snow and you go nowhere. Put a very skinny on and the truck can be moved again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts