Smart Car of America Forum banner

of four 2008 smart colors shown below, your favorite?

• white/silver

Votes: 7 20.6%
  • white/black

Votes: 9 26.5%
  • silver/silver

Votes: 8 23.5%
  • silver/black

Votes: 10 29.4%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
I nearly reserved white with a silver tri, but in the end I wanted to be seen, so I opted for red & silver. But, boy! That silver w/black tri sure looks good!

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
sisyphus,

Being seen (in the sense of staying clear of collisions) is also a concern of mine. Red will be sorta’ OK in daylight, but definitely not so at night. Silver will be an increment better than red (at night), but still not the best. Here’s a good read on the subject: http://hera.ugr.es/doi/15019548.pdf

For me it is white on a black trid. Ever wonder why all the black & white circles on crash test vehicles (even the dummies heads)? Not targets, but points of reference that can be best seen by the cameras.

Go to the smartcar of America homepage ( http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/index.php ) where they have the animated smarts moving back-and-forth in the masthead. Which one strikes you as most immediately visible?

·
Registered
347 Posts
Interesting article, fishrdnc, but I'll stand by my choice. Stop signs are red. Stoplights are red. Fire engines are red. All are highly visible. Red gets drivers' attention.
Most crash test dummies are marked with yellow and black circles. Yellow is generally recognized as the most visible color. Even those people who suffer from color-blindness can see it, but it is simply not a favorite of mine.
I'm not criticizing your choice of color here. Smart used white for their NAIA show car. Gorgeous!
But in the heavy daylight traffic in which I drive white does not stand out. Red is simply the best choice for me. Others are free to disagree! :)

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
micronut

micronut,
can you put a yellow rear panel on a white/black smart?
smart yellow rear may give tail gaiters a better view.
thanks.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I decided to order solid bodypanels (white, black and yellow) because of this good information that I found in a website:

Ease of repair
The new smart fortwo is again characterised by a sturdy tridion safety cell with an outer skin made from elastic plastic components (bodypanels). The smart comes away completely undamaged by small parking bumps, which for many other cars would immediately mean expensive repairs.

The white, black or yellow panels are flexible and the colour is moulded-in, so scratches go virtually unnoticed. If the worst comes to the worst, they can simply be replaced quickly and inexpensively. There's no need for repainting.For the smart's three basic colours

·
Registered
564 Posts
Here you go! Silver body with faked black tridion:

and black body with faked silver tridion (but retaining the black grill lip):

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
found this red interior with the usa passion three spoke steering wheel. wonder if it would blend with any of the above smarts.

good work, micronut. thank you.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts