Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've turbo'd my smart and I'm still just wanting a bit more, haha.

I'm thinking either a project car or get a busa engine and go all out. My smart is my daily but have another car to use if it takes a while to get done. Hoping it would be doable in 3-6 months or so with using 2-3 days a week to work on it. Not mandatory though.

I have access to a shop and tools and am mechanically inclined. Labor will be done myself, I have welding equiment(although not the best), and some extra time to do it.

Question to you guys is how much did it cost from start to 'finish'? I know there probably isn't a finishing point with maintaining it and tweaking it, but until you had it reliably streetable? Biggest cost items; motor, differential, axles?

Looking to save up a rough ball park guess beforehand with getting it done. Also don't want to spend too much on that busa engine. I've seen some going for $1200 for the 99-07(155~hp) engine and 08-11 for around $3000(170~hp engine). Also have heard stories of guys buying scrapped bikes but I haven't searched for that yet.

I want this to happen haha. ----> :burnout:

·
17,343 Posts
Yoshi's conversion will run you up to $22k depending how you go at it.

SMART CAR

Matt Boesch of GeniusParts (check the sidebar) might be willing to build another if he's willing and able to. He originally offered a kit but decided against it. There just aren't too many people interested in spending $20k to make their car less drivable as a DD.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wouldn't say I'm looking for a kit, I can build and do most all of it myself. Those are pretty much put A+B and you get C from what I'm guessing at that price range and description.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts