Smart Car of America Forum banner

41 - 60 of 185 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi - I saw the pic of your Smart on the forum and wondered where you got the wind up add on? Part of the deal when we bought ours was that my husband insisted we stick one of those on but I have done nothing so far, and your picture reminded me. Did you make it or is it commercially available? We're in the San Francisco area, so there is little chance of us stealing your "fire" if you want to share your source with us. Thanks!

Oops! - I think this went to the wrong thread. I thought I was replying to the person with the wind up thingy on their car. Sorry. but if anyone knows about them, please let me know. Thanks.
they can be found here:
WindupKey.com

·
Registered
525 Posts
Updated the list.....II

1.rwjrn
2.EdwardDennis
3.kathy333 (Kathy)
4.trueno1 (Gene&Cindy)
5.Starlord (Chris)
6.Carl242 (Carl&Lu)
7.factor9 (Bob&Linda)
8.DavidV
9. dbeck03
10. John_H
11. Piccola
12. Dunerunner (Scott)
13.Smart Trip (Peter & Kathryn) Final destination of our X-Country adventure
14.saronian (another Scott)
15. JohnnyBGangsta
16. Susie_1382
17. LittoDevil ("Screaming Cow", ha-ha-ha!)
18. Petep99 (Pete & Gwen)
19. race911 Ken & Karen
20. SmartHeadz
21. aerynfreenote
22. mendo (David)

Added my name

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hi!
Some updates regarding the photoshoot/rally below, but first a request...

In addition to adding your name to this list,
would you please send an email to
[email protected]
with the following info...
(& if you've already done so, thanks!):

---------------------------------------------------------------
Name:
Email:
SCOA Handle:
smart Model/Color (needed for arranging the cars):
License Plate# (again for staging & possibly for the city - use "pending" if you don't have one yet):
Your City/St:
Which of the days events are you planning on attending:
Lombard St Photo: Y/N
Caravan across SF to Ocean Beach: Y/N/Maybe
Meet&Greet: Y/N/Maybe
Brunch: Y/N/Maybe
# of People for Brunch:
Afternoon Drive: Y/N/Maybe
Comments/Questions:

------------------------------------------------------------

We're keeping this in a spreadsheet, as eventually we'll need to collect $$ and we're also getting signups from non-SCOA members via the NorCal dealers...

Now for the updates:

1. To date, including those on this list, there's already ~35 smarts signed up!

2. We've been able to secure the date with the city, get required insurance, the SF film commision use permit & contacted the lombard hill association regarding our plans.

3. Starlord has found us at least one great photographer.

4. We're also working with the SFPD to determine the number of motorcycle officers we'll need and where to stage our cars. At $86/hour per officer, with a minimum of 4 hours and at least 2 officers, but this will probably be our biggest cost.

5. Brunch details are still being discussed, as are the route, staging area and how pictures will work.

6. The Sacramento dealership's emailed a notice to their smart customers about our photoshoot and we're working with the SF & SJ dealerships also!

7. I've probably forgotten some other cool stuff that's in the works... sorry guys!

More to come...
Kathy

Updated the list.....II

1.rwjrn
2.EdwardDennis
3.kathy333 (Kathy)
4.trueno1 (Gene&Cindy)
5.Starlord (Chris)
6.Carl242 (Carl&Lu)
7.factor9 (Bob&Linda)
8.DavidV
9. dbeck03
10. John_H
11. Piccola
12. Dunerunner (Scott)
13.Smart Trip (Peter & Kathryn) Final destination of our X-Country adventure
14.saronian (another Scott)
15. JohnnyBGangsta
16. Susie_1382
17. LittoDevil ("Screaming Cow", ha-ha-ha!)
18. Petep99 (Pete & Gwen)
19. race911 Ken & Karen
20. SmartHeadz
21. aerynfreenote
22. mendo (David)

·
Registered
970 Posts
Is there any recourse if you cannot sign up in advance? As I said we may be away, may not, may even be driving back to SF that morning and only arrive in time to meet up some time after the Lombard St shoot..

Currently our schedule is very hard to pin down just due to work demands, but especially with the Monterey car events that weekend it will be impossible to call

·
Registered
506 Posts
Oh, yippee skippee.

(breaking into song) C A L- I- F O R- N I A here I come! Right back where I started from...:D

:smartje:.../`\_/`\_/`\_/`\_/`\_/`\_/`/`\..........Lombard St.

·
Registered
414 Posts
FYI:

I phoned the Hotel Majestic this afternoon. There seems to be a computer glitch in their online reservation system.

If you use the hotel's website to make a reservation-- and enter the 1019 Smart Car code-- the system will accept the code but WILL NOT give the discounted group rate. Hotel staff is aware of the problem and is contacting their website manager tomorrow to correct the problem.

Until it's fixed, the hotel will accept phone reservations and will give you the Smart car event rate.

·
Registered
555 Posts
For those of us in other parts of the country who are familiar with Lombard St. but can't make the event (I live in Florida) I hope you all will arrange for availablility of a high resolution photo or access to a professionsl photo or poster of all of the smarts on Lombard. Even though I won't be able to participate I would happily pay for a good photo or poster.

Thanks
Ditto! I would be willing to buy a copy!:toot:

·
Registered
47 Posts
For those of us in other parts of the country who are familiar with Lombard St. but can't make the event (I live in Florida) I hope you all will arrange for availablility of a high resolution photo or access to a professionsl photo or poster of all of the smarts on Lombard. Even though I won't be able to participate I would happily pay for a good photo or poster.
We're still working out the photo details - but absolutely want to make something along this line available....

Is there any recourse if you cannot sign up in advance? As I said we may be away, may not, may even be driving back to SF that morning and only arrive in time to meet up some time after the Lombard St shoot..

Currently our schedule is very hard to pin down just due to work demands, but especially with the Monterey car events that weekend it will be impossible to call
At the moment, no deadline to register or cap on number of participants. Hopefully that won't change, even up to the date of the event... HOWEVER - We're still working on the meet&greet and brunch location and when those details are resolved the number we can accomodate could change. Best bet is to get your name on the list now... just in case.

To everyone else who's registered: THANKS!

Got this from Peter today, who's ending his cross country trip at our rally:

Apparently the video link isn't working for some. You can find the video by searching youtube for "Austin smart Rally" or pgatherton... more info on his trip at http://smarttrip08.com

Looking forward to seeing everyone on the 17th of August!
If you want to join us & haven't already, please send the following info to [email protected]

Name:
Email:
SCOA Handle:
License Plate# (again for staging & possibly for the city - use "pending" if you don't have one yet):
Your City/St:
# of People for Brunch:
Comments/Questions:

See you in SF on August 17th!

·
Admin emeritus
3,974 Posts
I guess I need to get my plans set here but before I go out and make some reservations I wanted to reach out to the community first.

I will be flying in Saturday the 16th in the early afternoon to Oakland and plan on cabbing it into the city. Is there by chance anyone that will be heading from the Oakland airport area to SF?

As of right now I tentatively planning on staying in Downtown SF, does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks,
Ryan

·
Registered
414 Posts
I guess I need to get my plans set here but before I go out and make some reservations I wanted to reach out to the community first.

I will be flying in Saturday the 16th in the early afternoon to Oakland and plan on cabbing it into the city. Is there by chance anyone that will be heading from the Oakland airport area to SF?

As of right now I tentatively planning on staying in Downtown SF, does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks,
Ryan
Hotel Majestic is offering a Smart Car/Lombard Street event special rate. They still had rooms available yesterday afternoon. Their website:

Hotel Majestic in San Francisco

Call the 800 rez number and they can take your info over the phone. 1019 is the top secret smart car code.

·
Banned
4,244 Posts
What about parking in the city? Does anybody know the parking situation? From their website, it doesn't look like Hotel Majestic has a garage.

·
Registered
414 Posts
What about parking in the city? Does anybody know the parking situation? From their website, it doesn't look like Hotel Majestic has a garage.
They informed me that they do have a garage. It's 20.00 (valet) with in/out privileges.

I've stayed at the Majestic before, but never used their parking-- we always found a spot within a block or so of the hotel to park.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hi everyone,
SF dealership sent out the email this week and we're up to 53 smarts!

According to wikipedia, the curvy part of Lombard St is 400meters long... Someone out there is probably better at math than I am and can figure out how many smarts might fit in one picture, I'm guessing 100-125..
If we get too many, we could go double wide!

If you want to join us & haven't already, please send the following info to [email protected]

Looking forward to seeing everyone on the 17th of August!
Name:
Email:
SCOA Handle:
Your City/St:
# of People for Brunch:
Comments/Questions:

:):):)

·
Banned
4,888 Posts
As smart owners, we can make this a statement about changing attitudes toward the vehicles we choose to purchase. This can have a very positive effect on those in the country who are considering a new car purchase. If I can drive from the Oregon coast to do this, those who live in the Central and Northern California and Northern Nevada regions can as well. Let's make it happen!!! Come on SCoA!!

·
Banned
4,244 Posts
You're welcome. If you'd like, you can phone the toll-free number on their website and talk with staff. They're nice folks and will give you additional parking info...

Thanks again EdwardDennis, but I think I'll wing it from here. The idea of adventure is so intriguing, I don't need to plan to the detail. Now I know there's a garage and street parking - I'm good!

This is going to be a Fantastic weekend. I can't wait to meet everybody and see all the smarts in my favorite city.

The 650+ drive will be well worth it for this once in a life opportunity!

Suze

·
Registered
4 Posts
We are making plans to drive down from Tacoma, WA (777+ miles). We were in San Fran in July for part of a day and are looking forward to spending more time there. We also don't want to miss this once in a lifetime opportunity!

41 - 60 of 185 Posts