Options: heated seats, fog lamps, power steering, alarm system

·
Registered
277 Posts
Reservation: 2/1/2008 (8461611493)
Configuration: 8/28/2008
Delivered: 1/24/2009 @ smart center San Jose
Passion Coupe - rally red/black/design red
Factory Options: Fog lamps, Anti-theft alarm system, Electric power steering (eps), additional instruments
Dealer Options: Nav/BT/ipod, upgraded sound system, black powder rims, cruise control, floor mats

·
Registered
1 Posts
Official Delivery

Reservation: 2-23-08 7281801514
Configuration: 4/8/08
2009 Reconfiguration: 10/9/08
Delivered: 2/12/09 Birmingham, AL Smart Center
Cabriolet - Crystal White/Silver
Options: Comfort package

·
Registered
104 Posts
My smart fortwo stat’s:

Reservation date: September 27, 2007
Reservation # 5271501394
Confirmation date: November 7, 2008
Production date: January 23, 2009
Ship Date: February 6, 2009
US customs arrival date: February 14, 2009 (Jacksonville Florida)
Dealer arrival date: February 21, 2009
Take Delivery date: February 23, 2009
Dealer: smart Center Dallas (Dallas Texas)
Model: Passion / Ralley Red panels / Black Tridion cell / Red interior
Options: Fog Lamps / Daytime running lights / Anti-theft alarm system / Electric power steering / analog clock / rev counter / smart premium radio, smart sound system
smart name: Gidjit

·
Dont Feed The Trolls ^Mod
5,933 Posts
Reservation date: September 27, 2007
Reservation # 5271501394
Confirmation date: November 7, 2008
Production date: January 23, 2009
Ship Date: February 6, 2009
US customs arrival date: February 14, 2009 (Jacksonville Florida)
Dealer arrival date: February 21, 2009
Take Delivery date: February 23, 2009
Dealer: smart Center Dallas (Dallas Texas)
Model: Passion / Ralley Red panels / Black Tridion cell / Red interior
Options: Fog Lamps / Daytime running lights / Anti-theft alarm system / Electric power steering / analog clock / rev counter / smart premium radio, smart sound system
smart name: Gidjit
Hope your still gonna show it off at the meet and greet this weekend!

·
Super Moderator
28,526 Posts
Reservation: 03/03/08 (1523)
Configuration: 09/09/08
Delivered: 2/25/09 @ smart Center Cincinnati
Passion Coupe - Rally Red/Silver/Design Black
Options: heated seats, fog lamps, alarm system, instrument pods, DRLs, Radio 10
:)

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Reservation: 03/29/08
Configuration: 09/09/08
Delivered: 2/28/09 @ smart Center Easton
Passion cabriolet - Rally Red/black/Design Black
Options: heated seats, fog lamps, alarm system, instrument pods, Auto lights & wipers, Radio 10

·
Registered
48 Posts
Reservation Date: 02/09/08 (6560211500)
Configuration Date: 11/11/08
Loaded on vessel: 03/12/09
Off-loaded @ Baltimore: 03/30/09
Arrived at Smart Center Devon: 04/03/09
Drove it home: 04/07/09
Passion Coupe - Rally Red/Black Tridion/Design Black (With extra Yellow panels)
Options: Fog lamps, Alarm system

·
Registered
9 Posts
Who else is waiting for a delivery in Birmingham? My car has arrived in port (3 weeks ago) and I am going almost as crazy as my DDE! Yes, Brad, it's me...

SMART enough for a SMART...not SMART enough to follow directions!

·
Registered
1 Posts
My car was "in port " in July/August. It is now November and supposedly it is now here at Smart Center in Albuquerque, NM. Why did it take so long? I just don't understand.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Yeah, that seems extreme. I know that our car sat in port for about one month before it was sent out to the dealer. That was coming from Baltimore to Indy. But since yours came from the west coast maybe the delay was different. Sometimes shipment is delayed because the number of cars is not great enough to fill the transport truck headed to area destinations.
Good to hear yours has finally arrived.:)

·
Registered
624 Posts
Couldn't resist on replying to my original delivery thread ...

The long wait is over, the rains have passed, the sun (and wind) came out and our little silver/black/black passion coupe was waiting for us:

Original resv 4/3/07 (1188)
Confirmed 11/9/07
Call/email from dealer (30 day notice) 3/25/08
VIN from dealer 4/7/08
Arrived in Baltimore 4/8/08
Arrived at dealer (Loeber) 4/23/08 (15 days by truck)
Delivery 4/26/08 or 386 days from original reservation to arrival in Chicago

E-smart Has Arrived! - Let the fun begin! Smart Car of America Gallery

Loeber was great to deal with, staff and showroom was first class all the way. Now time for us to enjoy!

We've 'upgraded' our '08 coupe to a '14 cabrio; bought from Mercedes Benz of St. Charles (IL) ... the '08 had actually served us pretty well but it was time for a refresh. On another thread we test drove an ED as well but couldn't pass up the 'regular' cabrio. Ours was in the showroom, quick delivery and kept the Environmental plates ... love the new alloy wheel option on this one and the white color with silver combo, have already put a fresh 150 miles on it with all the sunshine we've had this weekend. First photo is in the showroom, others show the new and old side by side after the plates were transferred:

The '08 has 47K miles on it, will need new tires (still has the OEM's), replaced brakes over the winter and had the trans re-flashed (MBZ of St. C did that work) so be sure to check with them if you're interested. Smart did indeed improve on the car and the cabrio adds more fun to driving one. Looks like we'll be hanging around a bit longer ... be sure to wave if you see us around Chicagoland

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Congratulations! Having sold my 2008 smart years ago, and eager for a new smart, I'm curious to hear more of your driving comparisons between your old and new smarts, and in what specific substantive ways you noticed the car has improved over those years.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm curious to hear more of your driving comparisons between your old and new smarts, and in what specific substantive ways you noticed the car has improved over those years.
I just did my 30k service at the dealer. They gave me a 2014 passion for the duration. It had power steering, which wasn't available back in 08. It made the steering feel leaden. Otherwise I didn't notice much at all difference; the suspension felt a little more sure-footed but that could be the age of my suspenders showing.

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
^ Thanks for the information.

However, power steering was definitely always optionally available in 2008. I ordered my smart on the first day of sales in 2007, and took delivery on Day 1 in San Diego... with power steering!

·
Registered
624 Posts
Congratulations! Having sold my 2008 smart years ago, and eager for a new smart, I'm curious to hear more of your driving comparisons between your old and new smarts, and in what specific substantive ways you noticed the car has improved over those years.
I believe my '08 also had power steering (it basically had just about every option except the radio upgrade) so couldn't detect much of a difference in steering effort with the '14. What I did notice though was a much more compliant ride, no more 'crashing' while going over rough road surfaces and the tires provided better cornering and grip (of course my '08 was in need of new ones so perhaps that was part of it). The biggest difference though was running through the gears in the '14 ... much, much better transition from a dead start and less 'lurching' and/or hunting while in auto mode; it would of course downshift when needed but much more smoothly.

Seat comfort and materials used (of course, again the '08 is 6 years old now) seemed better, we drove the '14 for a number of hours over the weekend and no 'flat butt' syndrome, we do actually think that this would be fine on long trips and having cruise control will help as well (not available in '08).

The new one has several nice design touches now that were not on our '08 but perhaps were available to those who opted for the silver tridion during the in-between years? (silver accent around the grill, silver accent over the rear valance (and more distinctive design), and silver mirror caps).

We also like the improved driver info center and gloss black speedo surround. This being a '14 and not a '15, it has 'regular' fogs just like our '08 and not the LED's which are simple DRL's; we liked the original fogs so that was a bonus I liked (seems like fogs versus LED's can still be ordered on '15's; but smart is reducing the number of '15's produced so could be wrong).

The adjustable folding armrest was also a nice touch (another item not available OEM in '08) ... all of these not deal breaker's but these combined with the better driving characteristics, open air aspect of the cabrio and with my trade, even including taxes and license fees, etc. out-of-pocket being less than what I paid in '08 (not including a minor bit of inflation over 6 years) we're pretty happy with it ...

Lastly, even though we have the 'standard' radio, the sound quality isn't bad at all, they dropped the CD player (not surprised, many mfg. have) but added a USB port via the glove box so a thumb drive with MP3's works well and while not extravagant, will show song titles and play lists (no album covers but the display is pretty small to begin with). With such a small car, the slide out tray underneath it is a nice touch to store small items out of sight.

With the deal we got, especially going with a cabrio, we'll keep this one awhile to avoid the next gen knocking off a bit of its resale value when they do finally arrive in the U.S.

361 - 380 of 382 Posts