Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine knows a worker at MBCH and he told me they have a smart there that hit a deer. No other details. Hope the person is okay.
I wonder how the smart made out.

·
Registered
624 Posts
They kill 1000's of deer every season in our county....and still I see a bunch on the road everyday......I hate Bambi....in my Smart I fear a deer more than a truck!

·
Lifetime Member
11,307 Posts
The windshield makes me think about what would happen. During wintertime I can count normally about 60 deer on my 45 mile commute.

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
When I lived in Michigan before moving to Texas 16 years ago, those deer whistles for your car were all the rage. I wonder if they really work? ( Sav-A-Life, Deer Alert, Deer Whistle, Deer Alarm, Deer Collision Alert, Ultrasonic Whistle Alert )
No, acccording to the Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries. From their on-line FAQ:

"A friend of mine purchased deer whistles for his SUV. Do they work?

"No. There is no data or research to show that deer whistles are effective in reducing deer vehicle collisions. Research conducted at the University of Georgia over a decade ago indicated that these devices did not produce the ultrasonic sound as advertised. Even if they did, it would not matter; deer do not hear in the ultrasonic range. A deer's hearing range is very similar to ours."

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Keep alert for eyeshine and slow down in areas you know there are going to be some deer around and everywhere during rut.
karl

·
Premium Member
10,363 Posts
deer ran into me

I had an encounter with a deer. I was not able to avoid it since it came in from the side and I did not see the deer until it hit the drivers door. It broke the out side rear view mirror and caused the glass in the drivers door to shatter and spray all over my hands. There was only a few scratches on my hands. This was long before I had my Smart Fortwo. It was in Nissan Sentra. :angel: I was ok except for the shock of it happening. :cool:

·
Registered
871 Posts
I see deer every day. A friend of mine hit a deer a few weeks ago with his BMW 7 series. Did you know that the headlights on those things cost $1000.00?? Of course, the deer got the fender, bumper and hood as well.

Meaux :)

·
Registered
409 Posts
Had a deer hit me in the side, took out both doors. Deer was seriously injured but able to stand, barely. Sad part is that the police came, said he was going to euthanize the animal. Four shots with a .40 caliber pistol, close range. While another cop took down my report, I watched sadly as the deer stood there for 10 more minutes. Wanted to race home for my gun just to put it out of it's misery. Point being, if you want to rob a bank, do it in Pennington, NJ. Even if the police come, there is a really good chance you'll get away!

·
Registered
226 Posts
Out of the 24 deer I saw in Wisconsin's gun season, 8 of them were on the road. I guess my 451 has some sort of traction control, because I "dynamited" the brakes 3 times in the last 5 days, and yes my deer whistles must work; I've not smoked a Cervid with Ms. Katarina yet!

·
Super Moderator
11,290 Posts
One year I got my limit of 5 deer with different cars/trucks.

Just about hit 2 a few weeks ago they were standing in the middle between both lanes on a main highway about a mile apart. If I was driving a full size car, I'd be picking Bambi out of my teeth. as it was, my smart was quick enough to swerve around them.

·
He's not mine
9,607 Posts
In forty years of driving, I've spotted deer from my vehicle exactly 3 times. Twice it was a pair, and once a single deer. Two of the sightings were within State Parks.

Once, driving through west Texas and New Mexico, I saw thousands of large jack rabbits. Like a locust swarm, they were everywhere, alive and dead. I nearly jack knifed the rig I was driving (1969 Ford Custom 500 hauling a Ford Pinto). That scared me enough to realize avoiding the rabbits was just too dangerous. But, I don't recall hitting a live one.

·
Lifetime Member
11,307 Posts
Ride up to my house NCC. I guarantee you'll see some deer. I see them everyday. A lot right here on the property.

·
Registered
5,191 Posts
In forty years of driving, I've spotted deer from my vehicle exactly 3 times. Twice it was a pair, and once a single deer. Two of the sightings were within State Parks.

Once, driving through west Texas and New Mexico, I saw thousands of large jack rabbits. Like a locust swarm, they were everywhere, alive and dead. I nearly jack knifed the rig I was driving (1969 Ford Custom 500 hauling a Ford Pinto). That scared me enough to realize avoiding the rabbits was just too dangerous. But, I don't recall hitting a live one.
Thank God you didn't hurt the Pinto.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts