Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, driving home tonight some idiot flipped his high beams on (he was driving a taller SUV) and blinded me. Just missed the first deer and nailed the second one just about head on. The deer did not survive. I had to cut the strap for the service flap, and drove home (about 30 miles) on one headlight and a careful eye on the temp gauge.

No fluids leaking out the bottom, fan sounds terrible, luckily it is a cool night. temp never got over 185, mostly around 176 or so. drives straight with good steering. Just took out the front header and pass side .. everything. Police was following the idiot that blinded me.

not a good picture, the header is pushed back about 8 inches... Better pictures in the morning...:mad::mad::mad:

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Felt like I hit a big pothole and the deer went flying about 30 feet. never got back up. front floor had everything from the seat on it, airbags did not go off. I doubt if I even used the seatbelts (yes, I was wearing them)

·
17,471 Posts
Neon.. I got a motor for you...
Nooooo :( is your smart totaled?

I'm glad you're okay! That sounds like the kind of nightmare drive that gives me a panic attack.

·
Premium Member
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,750 Posts
So sorry about your "not so smart deer" encounter. Glad that you are okay and the deer went up and over.

Probably didn't need the airbags which could make repair an option?

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks like most of the hit was above the bumper which is probably why the airbags didn't go off (?) Looked at it a bit more and it appears to have damaged the heater behind the pass side headlight too. IF my son ever wakes up to watch his kid, I will see about an estimate. Not sure if a local body shop can handle it or not. 50 miles to the nearest dealer.
More pics..

·
Registered
729 Posts
So glad you are OK. Vehicles can be repaired/replaced. People can not.

Out of curiosity, how fast were you going when you hit the deer? The smart seems to have faired better than my old jimmy did when it met a deer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
I continue to be amazed by these cars and how they perform in accidents. Hitting a deer is a big deal and the car is essentially OK - albeit a little beat up. :)
My son did the same thing with his....it's a 2015 but a lot of the parts are the same. Color and grille are different You'll figure out hood,fender and center panels,and the cowl... but this is the bulk of the structure

1 451-620-02-30 Impact Bar
1 451-830-00-53-C22A Air Duct
1 451-880-00-03 Radiator Support Beam
1 451-885-01-37 Energy Absorber
10 000-991-20-98 Rocker clips
1 451-820-24-59 Rt Headlamp assy
1 451-885-01-22-C22A Tow Eye Cap

Can get the rest of the info from here..http://www.mbpartsexpress.com/

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I got the idea that the police was following them but not too closely. I was doing my normal speed on that road, cruise set at 57 MPH. I looked at it a little closer and both headlamp assemblies are damaged, and the part under the wipers (below the windshield is also broken, as is the plastic in the center of the car below the service flap, and the service flap which I put in the inside of the car. I heard the cooling fan making noise so I would guess there is damage to the fan support and the shroud behind the radiator too.

Since this is a 2008, My guess is they most likely will total it out. Since the majority of the damage is under the body, A normal body shop most likely ill not be able to handle the repairs(??) Any suggestions other than the dealer? I don't have the room to handle this much damage myself without a garage or even a driveway to work in.

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
I got the idea that the police was following them but not too closely. I was doing my normal speed on that road, cruise set at 57 MPH. I looked at it a little closer and both headlamp assemblies are damaged, and the part under the wipers (below the windshield is also broken, as is the plastic in the center of the car below the service flap, and the service flap which I put in the inside of the car. I heard the cooling fan making noise so I would guess there is damage to the fan support and the shroud behind the radiator too.

Since this is a 2008, My guess is they most likely will total it out. Since the majority of the damage is under the body, A normal body shop most likely ill not be able to handle the repairs(??) Any suggestions other than the dealer? I don't have the room to handle this much damage myself without a garage or even a driveway to work in.
Do you know any members of this forum who live close to you? Maybe you can arrange towing the car to his/her house as temporary parking, and you can take a trip out to fix it at their place? I believe you can put the car back together within a day of work. As long as you don't have bent or twisted steel, this is an easy fix.

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have a feeling there is quite a bit of damage and broken parts behind what I can see Frame rails look undamaged from what I can see, bumper doesn't even look damaged as it hit just above it and ore towards the hood area. brakes, steering and radiator are all working with no leaks which is a good thing.

If I could get some sort of a guess on repair costs, I could decide what to do. I am thinking I will have to take it to a dealership for an estimate and the closest one is in Rochester, 50 some miles away. Probably strap it to a trailer or something. Can't do much until Monday I guess. If the estimate is more than the value of the car, I will be out of luck. Might be time to talk t Neon and combine 2 cars to make one...

·
King of Smart Gadgetry
1,075 Posts
Jim I hope you didn't hurt your bad knee when this happened. I live in the country and it's infested with deer here. I did Hid's and air horns, but there is only so much you can do to avoid one of them. You can swerve to miss one and chances are strong they will change directions to remain in your path. Sorry to hear about Smart number 2. If they total it I have a feeling you will go looking for number 3. DCO.

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah, I am wedged in there pretty tight and like I said, it wasn't much of a hit except for the car. The deer did a few somersaults before ending up in the ditch.

Not that I am counting , but this WAS no 3, 1) 2008 that caught fire with 17K miles, 2) dropped a valve with 146K miles, and this one has 112K miles (113k miles I put on it) Maybe it is time to switch brands ?? nah probably not!! Maybe a Cabrio??

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
Glad you are OK, Jim :)
Since it's an 08, book is not very much........an adjuster would probably total it.
IF you are not doing the work yourself, probably better to start looking for another one :D

1 - 20 of 78 Posts