Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2009 451 Rally Red, Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-40, Wix XP 51356, 185/55R15 tires, 44 psl
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just changed the oil, at 5160 miles. Second change, first one was at 500 miles. Local lube shop charged me twenty clams if I provide the oil and filter. I consider this a good deal.
Still having problems resetting the wrench, any suggestions would be appreciated.
I picked up three five gallon jugs, and oil filters for $50, various types.
One Castrol 5W-30 Edge
One Mobil One 0W-30 Advanced Fuel Economy
One Mobil One Extended Performance 5W-30

One Fram Tough Guard 6607
One Fram Extended Performance 6607 (This may be new, I have not seen this one before)
One Purolator PureOne PL14612

I may have enough oil left over for one more change...

Going to start using a vibration meter to keep track of the hours, and change it at around 200 hours. (Under ideal conditions I would be traveling at 50 MPH, so 10,000 miles would take 200 hours, however my overall speed is much less than that due to traffic)
ENM Company - T54C1 - Panel Meters - Automation & Control - Allied Electronics
or
ENM Company - T56C1 - Panel Meters - Automation & Control - Allied Electronics
I put it under the handbrake handle...

Hung a blind spot mirror under the right hand side mirror, this helps the blind spot cause by the skinny rear window and tridon.
Pilot Automotive/2 1/4 x 1 1/4 in. rectangular blind spot mirror (YH-3503) | Blind Spot Mirror | AutoZone.com
I used a low temp hot melt glue gun to secure it.
There is a bigger size mirror available....

After oil change was done, the yellow engine light came on, due to no oil in the filter for a second, I think. Reset it with a scan tool, stayed out...

Filled up the tank with mid-grade for $25, was nearly empty.
300+ miles on the odometer...

Anyone got any other suggestions / stories?

·
Registered
2009 451 Rally Red, Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-40, Wix XP 51356, 185/55R15 tires, 44 psl
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Overboard on oil

$50 for three 5 quart jugs, and three filters?
It was a good deal....

·
Registered
245 Posts
fill it with premium. that is what i do. i am not going to put anything less than that in mine unless i am forced to. only the best for mine. the way i see it, with the mileage these cars get, i am not going to worry about the cost of premium gas. the oil changes at your schedule would be good for fossil oil, but using synthetics, you can space them out farther and should not harm your motor. synthetic oil will get contaminated like fossil oil but will not break down the same.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts