Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2009 451 Rally Red, Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-40, Wix XP 51356, 185/55R15 tires, 44 psl
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wat socket do I need for the oil drain plug?
I know it's 24mm, but five or six point?
Any cheap places to buy one?

·
Lifetime Member
11,307 Posts
I got my spare 24mm's from Harbor Freight on clearance. Six point is preffered and if you can find one, a breaker bar may come in handy. (you'll see what I mean). I got my breaker bar on a Sunday at an automotive swap meet. Right around closing time they are ready to deal. I went on Friday and it was $22. Picked up the exact NEW breaker bar from the vendor for a whooping $8 Sunday evening.

Autozone has a sale right now on Mobil 1 with a Mobil 1 filter for around $31-$32....but I bet you are an Amsoil kind of guy. I love Amsoil when I can afford it.

·
Premium Member
2,905 Posts
My "breaker bar" is a scrap section of pipe from home depot that fits over the handle of my regular socket holder. (They generally have a bin of scraps in the pipe section. Bring your handle and see if anything fits.) IIIRC, it was $3 or 4.
(It's not as elegant as BBB's, but he's a classier guy.)

·
Lifetime Member
11,307 Posts
My breaker bar is a breaker bar because I care too much about my ratchets to slide a pipe over the end. I'm not going to say that I had not done that before but the breaker bar has worked in situations that the pipe/ratchet combo didn't so now I use the breaker all the time when needed.

·
Registered
128 Posts
What size is the oil drain plug seal ring? My auto parts store has several metric sizes of the copper rings.

Thanks,
Peter

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
What size is the oil drain plug seal ring? My auto parts store has several metric sizes of the copper rings.

Thanks,
Peter

~Annealing-Copper~Butane Torch~
I do this with my copper washers and solid copper head gaskets before reusing them...
Yes, I raced Cars & Motorcycles & Rebuilt them engines most of my adult life...

Yes they do compact a little when used & get hard...

~Enjoy~
Copper Annealing

Making your oil-tight washers oil-tight again.
http://www.motorcycle.co.uk/Reference-material/Annealling-Copper---Aluminium-washers.aspx

1 - 10 of 10 Posts