1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Smart eviloution or however it's spelled says:
"You will need a 10mm spark plug removal socket and an extension bar as close
to the length of the direct coil pack as possible. You need the spark plug tool
specifically and not just a deep 16mm socket because it has a rubber insert that
grips the spark plug so you can remove it from the engine.The plugs are so deep
in the engine that you can't physically get your fingers to them to pull the plugs out."
Ok I'm dumb so help me out. What is the difference-no not what is the difference in 10mm and 16mm that I know- but what do I need-a deep 16mm socket or a ????10mm spark plug removal socket. The rest I understand, I've changed the plugs in other cars.
Thanks in advance.:confused:

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Does it mean a 10mm for the coil pack removal and a 16mm plug socket?
If so roger that. If not to my mind the wording suck for me probably not for wiser heads

·
Registered
800 Posts
10mm for the coil removal and a regular spark plug socket with 3 inch extension to remove the plugs. Tight but doable. 10mm thin wall combination wrench is what I use.

·
Super Moderator
11,222 Posts
You will need to remove the 10mm bolt on the coil pack. When you install the new plugs, Best not to use the rubber insert as it will stay on the plug and the extension will disconnect. I usually use a short chunk of rubber hose stuck over the end of the spark plug thread the plug into the head, then use the socket (without the insert) to tighten the plug.

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
The 10mm spark plug socket, the smallest extension, and a standard 3/8" socket ratchet is all that is needed to remove the plugs. Tight squeeze, but it works the best.

·
Premium Member
1,098 Posts
Smart eviloution or however it's spelled says:
"You will need a 10mm spark plug removal socket and an extension bar as close
to the length of the direct coil pack as possible. You need the spark plug tool
specifically and not just a deep 16mm socket because it has a rubber insert that
grips the spark plug so you can remove it from the engine.The plugs are so deep
in the engine that you can't physically get your fingers to them to pull the plugs out."
Ok I'm dumb so help me out. What is the difference-no not what is the difference in 10mm and 16mm that I know- but what do I need-a deep 16mm socket or a ????10mm spark plug removal socket. The rest I understand, I've changed the plugs in other cars.
Thanks in advance.:confused:
A 10mm spark plug socket isn't a 10mm socket, it's actually a 16mm socket. The 10mm part is the rubber inside diameter that holds the ceramic part of the spark plug. As it says on the page, if your spark plug socket lets go of the new spark plug when it's fitted, you are OK. Mine wouldn't let go and kept coming off the extension piece so I had to use a 16mm deep socket to get the plugs tightened and be able to remove the tool.

I tend to write how I speak so it might not make as much sense to read as it does for me but, if you have any queries about stuff on my site, just email me.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Ha ha and bend 3 rods!!!! Like firing up a radial without draining the lower jugs ....... not wise!!!!
Im assuming you are referring a rotary or radial aviation engine? If so, what are you draining from lower jugs, oil that seeps past rings in the inverted cylinders?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts