Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
10Year+ Supporting Member
3,216 Posts
I do mine myself using Mobil 1 0w40 and the Mobil M-108 filter for a little under $40.00 in supplies. Never had a dealer do it, but I can imagine two to three times my price.

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
Stop on over OR call, and get a quote: Penns is the best you know...<:))
Same Ad Nation Wide: Pep Boys Local Store Ad ORLANDO

Note: You Must remember to tell ANYBODY that changes your oil, that the Pan, and Drain Plug were perfect condition when you brought it in for the change and thats the way you want it Back... You MUST tell them not to over Torque that Plug in the Aluminum PAN...!!!

·
17,345 Posts
Did my own change yesterday. Took all of 15 minutes and $37. And I have an extra 1.5 qts of oil to spare too.

·
17,345 Posts
Yep, Autozone has a special going on right now as well. 5 qts of Mobil 1 and a Bosch filter for $36 and tax.

·
Super Moderator
11,211 Posts
Last time I took my smart in to a 'quick oil change place' they did a perfect job of stripping the threads out of the oil pan. I go on the forum and found the part number for a longer drain plug. I have not had the plug out since. I use a 'top Sider' oil vacuum to suck the oil out. it is much easier than getting underneath and wrestling with the drain plug, and removes all the oil. No drain pan to mess with (except to catch the oil from the oil filter)

Hey, works for me!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
NOBODY but me touches a drain plug! Do yourself a favor, buy one of those brass Fujimoto (?) valves. I did, and can change the oil without raising the car. And NEVER worry about the threads!

I did a quick google search and found Fumoto Valves, but none of the sellers list smart in their vehicle list. Do you have one installed on your smart?

·
Registered
10 Posts
...and here's another link, from the archives-
http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f25/poll-fumoto-qwik-drain-users-58314/index3.html
"Fumoto FG7BN Qwik-Drain"
I hope that works for ya. Good luck
That is a big help! Thanks! If FG7BN is indeed the correct part number, the drain valve is still readily available online.

Any current owners want to confirm in this is the same valve you currently have installed?
Amazon.com: Fumoto FG-7BN Engine Oil Drain Valve

·
Registered
11,472 Posts
Uptowndog no longer carries the valve :(

The listed FG7BN IS the correct valve...you just will NOT get the Uptowndog engineered spacing washer.:)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Uptowndog no longer carries the valve :(

The listed FG7BN IS the correct valve...you just will NOT get the Uptowndog engineered spacing washer.:)

I missed something somewhere, lol. Will it work without the specially NASA engineered spacing washer?

·
Registered
235 Posts
I know this thread started a couple years ago about the 451. Just wanted to add a note: The TopSider oil extractor does not work on the MY16 453. TopSider's suction tube inserts about three-quarters way down the dipstick channel, but then it won't go any further to reach the oil. Pushed with a little force; suction tube didn't move any further. Didn't want to have the suction tube get stuck or breakoff in the dipstick channel, so I gave up and pulled it out.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts