Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know about changing the oil on the Smart cars? Maybe an earlier model would be similar to what we could expect. Will they be "only at the dealer" oil changes? Any discussion or light on this would be helpful.

·
Registered
11 Posts
get a conversion kit to have your mechanic install an oil pan with drain plug and a spin on/off oil filter adaptor. I got the oil pan kit off ebay from a place in canada for $99 (George @ SMART Pieces For 4/2...look on ebay for item no. 320142393474, MCC SMART Fortwo Car Oil Pan With Magnetic Drain Plug...or look for the sellers items, his ebay sellers name is "gjzika". I think he's still listing them...even gives a $25 rebate for your original oil pan if you return it cleaned.

I got the oil filter conversion kit from SmartieParts.com ([email protected]) also out of Canada for $121.00 + shipping.

Putting these two aftermarket items on your SmartCar will make the oil change so so much easier and you can do it in the confort of your living room easy chair :)

·
Smart A**
1,141 Posts
What causes the OEM design to make oil and filter changing to be so difficult that it requires a mod for do-it-yourselfers?

·
Senior Smartie
1,263 Posts
I looked closely at the US version when the road tour came to my city and I thought I saw a very conveniently mounted spin-on oil filter right on the bottom and very easy to get to.
I didn't see the drain plug nor was I looking for it really. I just assumed that it would be in a convenient spot. If the pan doesn't have one, this guy is going to remove the pan and install one in a very convenient spot....after the warranty is over, that is.
Insofar as warrantees are concerned, you can change your own oil as long as you use the OEM oil filter and their recommended oil viscosity and brand, change it at the recommended intervals, and most importantly...save your receipts to prove all of the above. An oil changing log right in the back of the owners manual is the best place to keep track of the change intervals, dates, etc. I went thru all of this with my local HOnda dealer and my new (in 2000) S-2000. It may be different with MB, but I doubt it. Ofcourse, anyone attempting to change his own oil who doesn't really know how to should seek reliable training or just take it to the dealer. Forgetting to tighten the drain plug would and could be pretty disastrous to engine health.....:(

·
Smart A**
1,141 Posts
Ofcourse, anyone attempting to change his own oil who doesn't really know how to should seek reliable training or just take it to the dealer. Forgetting to tighten the drain plug would and could be pretty disastrous to engine health.....:(
Believe me, I've had more "qualified" service technicians leaving things loose (including drain plugs, twice) than I have ever done. (I 'm not counting the lug nuts my pit crew left loose on the racecar, but that's another story:mad:).

·
Registered
68 Posts
no no no... if there isn't a drainplug, you just need to get a tool that sucks it from the dipstick port... no removing oil pans...

for example let me post more than once so I can post a link...

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
New Engine Oil/Filter Change

Good news for the new 999cc engines: cutaway drawings on the international smartCar site show an oil pan with a drain plug, and a spin-on filter.

·
Senior Smartie
1,263 Posts
Rocketjohn,
I knew those kits were available but they really don't give you that clean oil change. When I change oil, I leave the drain plug out overnite and only drain it after thoroughly warming up the engine as in a 10 mile trip. I once owned a Honda Prelude and gave it to my nephew after amassing 395K miles on it with no major engine problems using this practice so I know it works well.
I would only remove the pan once too, to modify the pan for the plug....did that on AT trans pans all the time.

·
Senior Smartie
1,263 Posts
Yes it is, SmartCard! Imagine back 30 years ago we had to wait for an article to be written up and printed in Car and Driver or some other such mag to find out what was goin on. Now a couple of well placed clicks and the info is right in front of your face almost instantaneously! And in some cases, that info has come from another country altogether. Most do not realize really what a wonderful age we live in to be sure.

·
Smart A**
1,141 Posts
Yes. You can see the oil filter and drain plug very clearly. I take it that the plug and filter on the 450 weren't so conveniently placed?

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
Yes. You can see the oil filter and drain plug very clearly. I take it that the plug and filter on the 450 weren't so conveniently placed?
The 450 does not have a oil drain plug unless you modify it to have one. Instead you suck the oil out with a pump through the dipstick tube. The oil filter is paper filter inside of the filter housing, and is easily accessible, but it is not like your typical spin-on filter. That is why there are after-market adapters out there to replace the stock setup with spin-on oil filters.

I have purchased an oil pump and bought stock oil filters and have change the oil on my 2003 smart by myself. No mods required. Only special equipment required was the oil suction pump, which cost me about $50. So it paid for itself in the first 2 oil changes.

Tom

·
Registered
16 Posts
I would be amazed if the planned cars for here (USA) did not have a drain plug and spin-on filter. Even my lawn mower has a drain plug! Sucking the oil out of the dipstick is useless, there is no way you are getting all the crappola out of there. The selling point for this vehicle has to not only be great (acceptable?) gas mileage but also ease of maintenance.
The plugs should be easy to reach, and oil changes/lubes should be simple to perform. If not, that's a deal killer for me.

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
I would be amazed if the planned cars for here (USA) did not have a drain plug and spin-on filter. Even my lawn mower has a drain plug! Sucking the oil out of the dipstick is useless, there is no way you are getting all the crappola out of there. The selling point for this vehicle has to not only be great (acceptable?) gas mileage but also ease of maintenance.
The plugs should be easy to reach, and oil changes/lubes should be simple to perform. If not, that's a deal killer for me.
The new 451 models (2007 and newer) DO have oil drain plugs and spin-on oil filters. Only the older 450 models (2006 and earlier) require the oil suction and special paper filter.

Tom

1 - 20 of 49 Posts