Smart Car of America Forum banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
The new 451 models (2007 and newer) DO have oil drain plugs and spin-on oil filters. Only the older 450 models (2006 and earlier) require the oil suction and special paper filter.

Tom
Thanks, Tom!

So any posts here regarding suction guns and paper filters have nothing to do with the vehicle that any of us will be buying?

Gets kind of confusing.

·
Smart A**
1,141 Posts
The new 451 models (2007 and newer) DO have oil drain plugs and spin-on oil filters. Only the older 450 models (2006 and earlier) require the oil suction and special paper filter.

Tom
Confirmed: I test drove a 451 yesterday and was easily able to locate the plug and filter. They're both easily accessible.

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
Thanks, Tom!

So any posts here regarding suction guns and paper filters have nothing to do with the vehicle that any of us will be buying?

Gets kind of confusing.
Yes, unless you are buying a 2006 or earlier smart car converted by G&K for the US EPA/DOT specs, which about 1000 people in the US have or will have (aka 450 model, and gray-market imports). If you are buying the 2008 or newer fortwo, then you have a standard spin-on oil filter and oil drain plug.

Sorry if this is confusing!

Cliff notes:
2008 and later fortwo, model 451: spin-on oil filter and oil drain plug
2006 and earlier fortwo, model 450: paper filter and suction oil, unless modified

Tom

·
Registered
38 Posts
i just changed the oil on my 451 smartie yesterday, and it was a snap!

i ran down to the smart dealer and grabbed a couple of filters for 18 bux a piece, and then a 6-pack of M1-0w40 oil for about 50 bux.

a 15/16" got the drain plug off easy.
at 700 miles my oil from the drainplug was clean as a whistle, but i saw a a very few glints in the oil that gooshed onto my hand when i unscrewed the oil filter, and 2 or three dark-colored bits that were about 1/4 the size of a grain of sushi-rice... but the filter grabbed it, thats whats important!

it's super easy to do the oil change!
you can spot the drain plug from standing outside the car...
if you look inbetween the front of your passenger-side rear tire, and the back-edge of the front of the rear fender.
aim your line of sight for the engine towards the ground and you can spot the big 15/16" staring right at you, the filter is an easy grab a few inches behind it.

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
i just changed the oil on my 451 smartie yesterday, and it was a snap! ...but i saw a a very few glints in the oil that gooshed onto my hand when i unscrewed the oil filter, and 2 or three dark-colored bits that were about 1/4 the size of a grain of sushi-rice... but the filter grabbed it, thats whats important!
If things had gooshed into your hand perhaps the filter hadn't grabbed them yet, but it does argue that there can be manufacturing detritus in the new engine, and an early engine flush-and-change is good practice. A good thing to do is to cut open the filter and see what is really trapped.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Quoting: "You realize that there's not one nut/bolt/fastener on your smart 451 that's not metric right?"

do you buy much italian-made lingerie for your girlfriend/mistress/wife?
no 36c's in italy! there it's a size 4!

call it what you want, it still fits!
with just a single upsidedown and obstructed glance at the drainplug, i eyeballed the right size in two wrenches flat, and a single trip to the toolbox!

thats a skill that most women have. it comes from all the clothes shopping. =)

·
Super Moderator
29,254 Posts
Modified photo

Just modified your photo - is the arrow pointing at the drain plug? Thanks! :)

·
Registered
495 Posts
i cant imagine why or what MB or SMART were thinking when building this without a DRAIN PLUG!! even the lowly rototiller has a drain plug!

so I buy a sump sucker (hand type) nearly useless, can only get a minimal amount at any time..
I guess i will have to suck it up (so to speak) and mod the pan, as for the paper filter, I found them at NAPA $2.50 each with O ring...
anyone else have any other ideas?

·
To the XCAPEPOD!
6,113 Posts
i cant imagine why or what MB or SMART were thinking when building this without a DRAIN PLUG!! even the lowly rototiller has a drain plug!

so I buy a sump sucker (hand type) nearly useless, can only get a minimal amount at any time..
I guess i will have to suck it up (so to speak) and mod the pan, as for the paper filter, I found them at NAPA $2.50 each with O ring...
anyone else have any other ideas?
Ah, no drain plug, you must have a first generation smart (450). You might find more information/assistance in the 450 sub-forums.

Original (450) smart fortwo

·
Premium Member
11,310 Posts
Kind of defeats the whole 'oil change from the top' thing when he raised it up to change the filter... I know it was so it is easier to see the filter mounting but still...

Being the proud owner of a smart with a stripped oil pan drain, I am looking for easier methods to repair it , sounds like a new oil pan is the least expensive way to go. My only concern is that I will still be looking at aluminum threads with a steel drain plug, which is what I started with and it could happen again. Been thinking about one of those drain plug valves..

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
I don't know about the 451, but in the 450, the oil filter can be changed when kneeling behind the car, with all 4 wheels on the ground.

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
Kind of defeats the whole 'oil change from the top' thing when he raised it up to change the filter... I know it was so it is easier to see the filter mounting but still...

Being the proud owner of a smart with a stripped oil pan drain, I am looking for easier methods to repair it , sounds like a new oil pan is the least expensive way to go. My only concern is that I will still be looking at aluminum threads with a steel drain plug, which is what I started with and it could happen again. Been thinking about one of those drain plug valves..
Just go to a machine shop and have it Heli-Coiled for cheap :)

·
Registered
293 Posts
...Being the proud owner of a smart with a stripped oil pan drain, I am looking for easier methods to repair it , sounds like a new oil pan is the least expensive way to go. My only concern is that I will still be looking at aluminum threads with a steel drain plug, which is what I started with and it could happen again. Been thinking about one of those drain plug valves..
I'm guessing it's the pan that's stripped not the drain plug. If you do take to pan to a machine as Chief suggests to have it helicoiled (helicoils have worked well for me), install one of those drain valves you mentioned, or take on to the machine shop with your pan and ask them them to install it with the helicoil. As you suggest, with a valve those pan threads won't have to tolerate any more removal/install cycles. I'm looking forward to installing one of the valves but the dealer is doing my oil changes while under warrantee.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts