Smart Car of America Forum banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Kind of defeats the whole 'oil change from the top' thing when he raised it up to change the filter... I know it was so it is easier to see the filter mounting but still...

Being the proud owner of a smart with a stripped oil pan drain, I am looking for easier methods to repair it , sounds like a new oil pan is the least expensive way to go. My only concern is that I will still be looking at aluminum threads with a steel drain plug, which is what I started with and it could happen again. Been thinking about one of those drain plug valves..
++ TIME-SERT Threaded inserts for stripped threads, threaded inserts, thread repair stripped sparkplug's, Ford sparkplug blowouts, threaded inserts threaded, repair stripped threads, stripped threads, inserts threaded inserts, Ford spark plug repair,

·
Registered
436 Posts
Jabsco filter.jpg

Jabsco 17800-2000 Marine Porta Quick Oil Changer, 3.5 gallon, 12 volt.

Simple, quick and clean. Available at Amazon, $201.64. Not cheap, but if you do not have a lift it makes a potentially horrible mess into an easy job. This pump, a K&N HP-1008 filter (the one with the 1" nut on the bottom), and you are finished in a few clean minutes.

Jim

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
What causes the OEM design to make oil and filter changing to be so difficult that it requires a mod for do-it-yourselfers?
It's a gift to the dealers' service departments from the OEM. It's even more profitable if you require a special tool only the manufacturer makes because he has a patent on the tool and can charge anything he likes for it. They all do this, not just Smart/MB....

MB/Smart's $10,000 laptop with the yearly $450 "subscription" to test its computers and look at its instruction manual is an even bigger ripoff.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
View attachment 4803

Jabsco 17800-2000 Marine Porta Quick Oil Changer, 3.5 gallon, 12 volt.

Simple, quick and clean. Available at Amazon, $201.64. Not cheap, but if you do not have a lift it makes a potentially horrible mess into an easy job. This pump, a K&N HP-1008 filter (the one with the 1" nut on the bottom), and you are finished in a few clean minutes.

Jim
Oil Suction Gun - Save on this Suction Gun at Harbor Freight
Works great..Steel cylinder...$12. Great for motorcycles and generators, too!
:eek:

·
Premium Member
5,763 Posts
Kind of defeats the whole 'oil change from the top' thing when he raised it up to change the filter... I know it was so it is easier to see the filter mounting but still...

Being the proud owner of a smart with a stripped oil pan drain, I am looking for easier methods to repair it , sounds like a new oil pan is the least expensive way to go. My only concern is that I will still be looking at aluminum threads with a steel drain plug, which is what I started with and it could happen again. Been thinking about one of those drain plug valves..
Once you get the time-sert or helicoil put in, go ahead and install the Fumoto Valve, and oil changing becomes a snap of a lever. There is a spring catch, so it doesn't accidentally open. A strap wrench makes removing the oil filter a piece of cake also. Both are easily accessible, just be careful around the muffler when removing the filter so you don't burn your arm. Don't ask me how I know. :p
The kit from Uptown Dog co. has the necessary spacer for the smart, so get yours from there. I highly recommend it. It is one of my favorite mods.

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Take my smart to our local GM dealer (small town USA) I bring oil and filter, he charges $20 vacuumed inside cleaned windows (inside and out)
I'm not going to change my own oil to save $20.

·
Premium Member
934 Posts
Take my smart to our local GM dealer (small town USA) I bring oil and filter, he charges $20 vacuumed inside cleaned windows (inside and out)
I'm not going to change my own oil to save $20.
I am. With the Fumoto valve it's a 15 minute job. I don't make 80 bucks an hour, so it's a good deal for me.

·
Premium Member
11,310 Posts
I looked at these, at $487 for the kit, a $80 oil pan is much more reasonable. If I had a few smart pans to do it would be worthwhile

TIME-SERT Drain Pan Kit M24 x 1.5 Part # 2415C : Amazon.com : Automotive

I assumed taking the car to a place that claimed to specialize in oil changes was a good idea, more convenient, etc. but there I sat on a Saturday afternoon with a stripped out oil pan... Luckily I remembered something about a Dodge truck plug being longer and the local parts place had one on hand.. Thanks SCOA!!

41 - 49 of 49 Posts