Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im having an issue>:D trying squezing my ratchet between engine frame (red) and Bolt ( Green) . any ideas or any other tools that you guys might used?

PS: why such huge oil bolt!...lol:D

·
Registered
800 Posts
Why are you putting wrench up there? I think it is 34mm and I always have wrench pointed to rear of car to remove. Can get tight. Do not over-tighten when putting back.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I'm with Chief. I'd read about the difficulties getting the drain bolt out, so before my first oil change, I got the valve, a 24mm socket and a 25" breaker bar. I had to jack the car up to get room enough to break the bolt loose, but it was a one time thing. The only caveat I'd add is after putting the valve in, double check that it's closed before adding oil - go ahead, ask me why I recommend it, it's been long enough I can laugh (or at least not cry!) about pouring about a quart and a half of Mobil-1 straight through the engine and onto the street...

·
Registered
181 Posts
Yes, a 6 Point Socket wrench. I use a 6" socket wrench. and an old wife's unused exercise bar thingy that fits over the handle of the wrench. the tricky part is positioning it just wright, so that all you have to do is step on it and the plug pops lose.

I guess a 30" section of pipe would do the same thing.

putting it back on, I kinda count on the fact that you can't get leverage on it in putting it back on safely.

·
Super Moderator
11,218 Posts
Believe me, once you remove the bolt and it is full of aluminum threads, you will wish you went with the Quick Drain valve...

I now use an oil extractor through the dipstick tube and it is much easier, and cleaner!

·
Registered
55 Posts
What is the correct size valve for 2013 Smart? Never mind I click the link 22mm 1.5

FG7BN nipple drain valve or
FG7B standard drain valve

·
Registered
800 Posts
What is the correct size valve for 2013 Smart? Never mind I click the link 22mm 1.5

FG7BN nipple drain valve or
FG7B standard drain valve
That is not what comes up when you enter car information.
Selected vehicle Smart fortwo (451) 1.0 (999 M132 petrol) 2007-
F-106N standard drain valve
14mm outside diameter, 1.5mm pitch

is this wrong information from the site?

·
Registered
6,848 Posts
Flexible racket breaker bar, 24mm socket. Jack the rear up a little. Use jack stand, for safety. Attack it, right in front of the rear tire. Simple. Right tools, for the right application.

·
Registered
11,472 Posts
That is not what comes up when you enter car information.
Selected vehicle Smart fortwo (451) 1.0 (999 M132 petrol) 2007-
F-106N standard drain valve
14mm outside diameter, 1.5mm pitch

is this wrong information from the site?
There were NO 2007 451's !!!

2007 is a 450 :)

The FG7B (N) are the correct numbers :)

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
There were NO 2007 451's !!!

2007 is a 450 :)

The FG7B (N) are the correct numbers :)
Actually, there were 2007 451's. Remember, it was introduced in Europe a year before we got it. :)

But you are partially correct, there were no 2007 451 in the USA. Not trying to bust your chops buddy...0:)

I've always used a standard 1/2" drive ratchet and 24mm socket to remove mine. The extension for my floor jack fits right over my ratchet handle to give me the leverage to break it loose. I just snug it with the ratchet(no extension) when I put it back in, but the heat cycles really tighten it down.

·
Registered
11,472 Posts
Actually, there were 2007 451's. Remember, it was introduced in Europe a year before we got it. :)

But you are partially correct, there were no 2007 451 in the USA. Not trying to bust your chops buddy...0:)

I've always used a standard 1/2" drive ratchet and 24mm socket to remove mine. The extension for my floor jack fits right over my ratchet handle to give me the leverage to break it loose. I just snug it with the ratchet(no extension) when I put it back in, but the heat cycles really tighten it down.
Yea...my bad :(

Love ya too, buddy :D

·
Registered
6,848 Posts
I use to use a jack handle too over a racket. This is so much better. Flexable too.

The second generation, build series W451, was introduced in November 2006.
In 2008, Canada received only the gasoline 451 model because the diesel version did not meet 2007 Canadian emission standards.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts