Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '17 453 Cabriolet which I love. It's time for an oil and filter change. Would someone please five me a part number for the oil filter. I am suspicious that the one furnished by my local chain auto parts store is for a 451.

I put this question on another SMART forum, and one of the members asked me if my car is a turbo or not. Two questions arise from that:

1) Tho I'm a life long gearhead, I don't know whether my car is a turbo. I seem to remember the salesman with whom I dealt advising that all 453's were turbos.. True?

2) And more importantly, do the turbo and n/a's not have the same oil filter?

TIA! Harold In Tallahassee, FL.

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
As I understand 453s are all turbos and 451s NA, at least all North American bound cars....

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good. Mine definitely feels like it is turbo charged. Any hope for an oil filter part number? Don't care much what brand.

·
Registered
2009 451 Rally Red, Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-40, Wix XP 51356, 185/55R15 tires, 44 psl
1,038 Posts
The 451 uses a metal canister,

The 453 uses a bit of plastic with filter paper around it...

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Rock Auto is also a source for the filter. You want one for the .9L turbo. Only imported to the U.S. in the gas version in 2016 and 2017. No other version of gas engine 453 smart was imported in the U.S. The filter on the 453 is underneath the motor and on the front side of the motor. It is a cartridge filter inside a plastic cap that you need a large 27 mm socket to remove. You will also need an 8 mm SQUARE ”socket“ plug to remove the oil drain plug.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I have a '17 453 Cabriolet which I love. It's time for an oil and filter change. Would someone please five me a part number for the oil filter. I am suspicious that the one furnished by my local chain auto parts store is for a 451.

I put this question on another SMART forum, and one of the members asked me if my car is a turbo or not. Two questions arise from that:

1) Tho I'm a life long gearhead, I don't know whether my car is a turbo. I seem to remember the salesman with whom I dealt advising that all 453's were turbos.. True?

2) And more importantly, do the turbo and n/a's not have the same oil filter?

TIA! Harold In Tallahassee, FL.
MB part 281-180-02-10 008K oil filter $26.40 hope that helps. I have a 17 cab. All 453's are turbo.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts