Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. Ran over something today and the oil filter sheared off. The engine was shut down after about 10 seconds as we heard it knocking and saw the smoke. I am not where I can get under it right now and hoping someone can help with the parts I need. The photo shows all that was left in the filter, which I was lucky enough to locate. What does the filter screw into? Is it the oil pressure switch? And if so does the part screw into the block or is it more involved? Hoping I can get whatever I need ordered fast. If it's more complicated that that let me know please.

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
Got a pic through the hole in the center? If I'm not mistaken that is part of the "oil cooler". I could not find an equivalent "union bolt" that Toyota uses.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
It's cast as part of the housing. You need an entire new housing.
I'm surprised people suggested longer oil filters, just realizing this myself. This is very costly damage, unless you can somehow JB Weld that back...

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just saw the replies, thanks. Does anyone have a part number for the housing, a quick search does not turn up anything. Does the housing bolt on? I am downloading a manual but taking forever as I am not home.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It is a frustrating vehicle to work on. I do all the work on other vehicles we have with the help of workshop manuals but it seems I cannot even locate one to see the scope of the repair, get part numbers, or much of anything. I hate to just start taking stuff apart without having any clue of the order of things but might just have to try. looks like the pan and housing (perhaps for the oil pump?) have to come off but that is just guessing.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I'm surprised people suggested longer oil filters, just realizing this myself. This is very costly damage, unless you can somehow JB Weld that back...

You raise a good point. Just use a quality filter and change your oil. Or get a remote mount. Always been bothered by the location of the filter myself.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
workshop manual is digitized at www.startekinfo.com . I .pdf from there, more specifically before when it was a separate at www.smarttekinfo.com . Mercedes merged them together at some point after I lost mine to a collision.

Thanks for that, I have registered and will see what comes of it. Will help in the future but not right now. Email they sent states several days for someone to get back to me.

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
Thanks for that, I have registered and will see what comes of it. Will help in the future but not right now. Email they sent states several days for someone to get back to me.
Wow, it used to be you just sign up pay the $60 and get a day of access. Sigh. Let me know what happens I have info for a 2013 451...

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wow, it used to be you just sign up pay the $60 and get a day of access. Sigh. Let me know what happens I have info for a 2013 451...

Nothing ever easy. Will start trying to see what needs to come off to get that part off. I'll give it a couple hours work and if I can't figure it out will take it somewhere.

·
Super Moderator
29,394 Posts
From what I can tell on the Mercedes Xentry parts system, the oil filter screws onto the engine timing chain cover. Alldatadiy.com is a good resource for info on removing the cover - it looks pretty labor intensive. You might try contacting booneylander on Club Smart Car - he seems pretty up to speed on 451 maintenance: booneylander - Club smart Car :)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
From what I can tell on the Mercedes Xentry parts system, the oil filter screws onto the engine timing chain cover. Alldatadiy.com is a good resource for info on removing the cover - it looks pretty labor intensive. You might try contacting booneylander on Club Smart Car - he seems pretty up to speed on 451 maintenance: booneylander - Club smart Car :)
Thanks for all the help on this. I posted over there as well. Will get the quotes and go from there. Been trouble free and in great shape otherwise. 25K miles on a 2015, some nice upgrades like the wheels/tires, wireless Apple play on the Alpine sound, lowered and stiffer so do not mind spending a bit.

·
Registered
9,212 Posts
...." lowered and stiffer "....

...I wander if it is just low enough to knock the oil filter off...

Jetfuel.....head scratching...

1 - 20 of 58 Posts