Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed the sparks for the first time today. Upon removing the ignition coil at Cylinder 1, there was oil all over it. I then removed the plug and it too had oil on the outside above the threads. I inserted a rolled up paper towel to remove as much oil as I could. I did check my oil level and it's fine.

Since this a new car for me I don't know if this is a problem.

What do you think? I'm taking the car to MB on Friday for the 30K checkup.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I have not heard of this issue before. It sounds like there is a small leak somewhere on top of the engine. The first things I would check would be to make sure the oil dip stick is fully inserted and that the oil cap is tight. Then I would clean the engine as best I could and check it daily to see where the oil is coming from. I hope that it is only something loose and not a major gasket. Best of luck.

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
I suspect it's oil from outside the combustion chamber that was dribbled on by mistake-- since the coil is wet. There shouldn't be a problem...if I read your post well.

·
Registered
4,297 Posts
A wild guess, but seems like someone missed the oil fill hole a tad bit and oil has run down around your coil pack and down the boot... Clean it up and everything should be OK...

·
Lifetime Member
11,307 Posts
That's what I was thinking Barney. A new to Baby Cyclone car would/could mean a fresh/recent oil change....maybe. I know if I was selling a car to someone I would do a fresh oil change for them just for piece of mind. :wink: Hopefully that is what the seller did for Baby Cyclone but they were lacking in the steady hands area. :D

·
Registered
4,297 Posts
That's what I was thinking Barney. A new to Baby Cyclone car would/could mean a fresh/recent oil change....maybe. I know if I was selling a car to someone I would do a fresh oil change for them just for piece of mind. :wink: Hopefully that is what the seller did for Baby Cyclone but they were lacking in the steady hands area. :D

Yeah, I like those long neck funnels that will darn near hold a whole quart of oil and you don't need to break out in a sweat tryin' to hit the hole...:wink:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the replies! I was hoping it may have been someone's error. The oil I removed was very clean and appeared as though it did not come from the engine but I've never used synthetic oil before either. I'll keep an eye on it and tell the service rep at MB on Friday.

The service could have been done prior to my purchase. The spark plugs I removed look very good IMO.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Hey Jet, are you bringing BaaBaara along to the Dells? She needs to get out a little more often, you just can't keep her penned up all the time!:p

·
Premium Member
523 Posts
It's possible that a seal around the tube that houses the spark plug is missing, deformed, or broken. Plugs go through the valve cover like a hemi.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts