Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my Smart to the dealership for a 5,000 mile service (please don't flame me over this) & there is an oil leak. It's not a heavy leak, but it is a leak none the less. The mechanic is going to take it apart. Should be about a day or so before he knows whats going on.

Have there been a lot of oil leaks at 5,000 miles? Has anyone else experienced this?

Last weekend, one of my keys died. Buttons don't work & in the ignition, it doesn't "unlock" the engine. Thank goodness they give you 2 keys.

The sunscreen is off its track. Is this a common problem?

Other than those, I am loving the car. I've had it since May. It has been a lot of fun. Took it up in mountains (Vail) for the first time last weekend. I was passing most people till I got near the top of the passes and the oxygen is thin. The looks on people's faces as we are passing them is priceless.

· Ex Admin/mod.
9,509 Posts
Key fob

Gives me a chance to note that the key, if pocketed, may be put in a position that the buttons are pressed. That'll drain the battery fast.
Not to mention that it may open/lock the door of the car through a wall, unbeknownst to the owner (it has happened to a member a couple of months back, a colleague told him that his car was acting strange). :wink:

· He's not mine
9,655 Posts
Gives me a chance to note that the key, if pocketed, may be put in a position that the buttons are pressed. That'll drain the battery fast.
Not to mention that it may open/lock the door of the car through a wall, unbeknownst to the owner (it has happened to a member a couple of months back, a colleague told him that his car was acting strange). :wink:
True. My car is right outside where I sit at my desk. More than once I've heard the car chirp when I repositioned myself, key in pocket. Might be best to hang it on the wall when home, huh?

· Registered
260 Posts
new engine

My dealer is waiting for a new engine from France and he told me is not from the rear seal is another seal above????.
Oil goes down and then to the oil pan and it drips from the oil pan screws.
Rubyg

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The oil leak turned out to be leaking from the transaxel(sp) case. The mechanic said it appears to be a bad case itself judging by the way the aluminum was cast. At least it isn't an engine. I should be picking it up tomorrow.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.