Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from M-B dealer for my 50,000 check-up/oil change/etc. and have a HUGE oil leak! Dealer had my car towed back to shop (40 miles away), but said this is a normal occurrence and will cost me over $600 to repair. Sounds fishy to me??!? Anyone else have an experience like this?

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
. . . said this is a normal occurrence and will cost me over $600 to repair. Sounds fishy to me??!?
Need more details as this is hardly a "normal occurrence?"

What exactly are they charging you $600 for, a cracked oil pan or stripped threads on the oil plug or ?

Was this at a smart Center or a M-B dealer? Apparently wasn't leaking BEFORE you had them provide service could it be that they created the $600 problem?

Doesn't just smell fishy - this STINKS! :rolleyes:

·
17,350 Posts
If it wasn't leaking before the oil change, it's their fault and they should be picking up the tab.
I wouldn't be surprised if that $600 is just to swap oil filters, or to tighten the drain plug. :D

Yes, it must be completely normal for the Benz dealers to screw up your car doing a simple oil change...

·
Registered
8,971 Posts
...roll camera...
..you walk into the service rep...introduce yourself with a FIRM hand shake...and state why you're there..
...service rep will blah blah blah...
...you'll ask if the car had an oil leak when it came in for service...was it documented?? and mention that it has one after they worked on it...
...stick to the script...

Jetfuel....cut...print...

·
Super Moderator
11,218 Posts
Sounds like someone messed up at the dealership. maybe the oil filter gasket stuck from the old filter and when they put the new one on, it blew after driving a bit. HOLD THEM ACCOUNTABLE FOR THEIR MISTAKE!!

·
17,350 Posts
...roll camera...
..you walk into the service rep...introduce yourself with a FIRM hand shake...and state why you're there..
...service rep will blah blah blah...
...you'll ask if the car had an oil leak when it came in for service...was it documented?? and mention that it has one after they worked on it...
...stick to the script...

Jetfuel....cut...print...
Step 6: PROFIT

·
Registered
300 Posts
Totally nuts!!! They need to correct their mistake. Unless your oil pan was previously stripped but they should have told you so not sent you home.

·
Registered
536 Posts
It's not about the repair. Dealerships will always deny on something like this. They are worried that you may have damaged your engine due to their mistake. They are avoiding future liability. If they admit the leak was their fault, it can be used against them later. If you make a fuss, they will take responsibility. They are just following policy.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
This is what our society has become. Nobody will take responsibility for their own actions when they screw up. I have changed the oil and filter on countless cars, trucks and motorcycles since the 1960s and never had a oil leak after the fact. The dealer's story is not plausible.

What specifically is the source of the leak? Was there a leak prior to the service being performed?

Do not waste time with the service adviser with whom you dealt. Demand to speak with the service manager or service director. If that gets no result, go to the general manager. Tow the car out and get a second opinion if necessary. Hire a vehicle inspection company to send a mechanical breakdown inspector out to look at the car to verify the cause.

Make noise. Don't fold.

·
17,350 Posts
It's not about the repair. Dealerships will always deny on something like this. They are worried that you may have damaged your engine due to their mistake. They are avoiding future liability. If they admit the leak was their fault, it can be used against them later. If you make a fuss, they will take responsibility. They are just following policy.
Nah, this is the norm for smart dealerships. I get the same crap service whenever I need warranty work done...There are a few instances where my dealer dealt me some BS for some of my concerns. My complaint vs. their reply:

"My rear end makes very loud grinding noises when making hard left turns in cold weather."
- Could not replicate problem.

"My engine has a very hard time reaching and maintaining operating temperature. It also shudders when this takes place."
- This is normal.

"My steering wheel is very far off centre."
- The car was designed to have a lot of freeplay in the steering.

"How much to the instrument pods cost?"
- Smart no longer makes the instrument pods, you now have to buy the Brabus Bluetooth Pods for $369 plus another $400 for installation.

Cute.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts