Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am worried. I have a smart passion, 10.000 miles, it is a 2011. The oil was changed at 8000 miles, now the light has come on. I know I have to have it checked, but has this happened to anyone else? I keep reading about major costs and repairs. I cannot afford that

·
Registered
300 Posts
When does it come on? Idling, going down the road? You need this checked. I can't imagine any engine going bad at 10,000 miles. The Smart motor should do 200,000 no sweat. I sold a Honda Goldwing with just over 400,000 miles two years ago.

·
Registered
8,966 Posts
..have you even checked the oil level???
...the person doing the last oil change could off knock the oil press switch plug loose and it took a while before finally coming off...

Jetfuel....it could happen.........but.....check the oil level...

·
Registered
800 Posts
..have you even checked the oil level???
...the person doing the last oil change could off knock the oil press switch plug loose and it took a while before finally coming off...

Jetfuel....it could happen.........but.....check the oil level...
Like jet said, check the oil level and I would also check the oil filter for a leak or pinhole. Kind of exposed under the engine.

DO NOT DRIVE it with low oil, very expensive very fast

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When does it come on? Idling, going down the road? You need this checked. I can't imagine any engine going bad at 10,000 miles. The Smart motor should do 200,000 no sweat. I sold a Honda Goldwing with just over 400,000 miles two years ago.
It is on constantly

·
Registered
912 Posts
In other words, DO NOT START THE ENGINE.

Check the oil level.

Look underneath and confirm that the drain plug is in place and not leaking and that the oil filter is in place and not leaking.

·
Registered
912 Posts
I fear that we shall soon be hearing about another blown engine that won't be covered under warranty. The oil warning lamp means STOP ENGINE RIGHT NOW and call a tow truck, not "oh, I wonder what that little symbol means. I'll just drive on home and poke around on the internet for a while, and maybe go get groceries while I wait for someone to tell me what's wrong".

·
Registered
912 Posts
I keep reading about major costs and repairs. I cannot afford that
The tow truck would have been cheaper than the engine that you just blew up by continuing to drive with no oil pressure.

The moment that oil pressure lamp came on shortly after an oil change, it was either (A) the oil change shop's responsibility for doing something wrong, or (B) smart's responsibility in the event that the sensor failed and caused a false warning. In other words, it would most likely end up being a free tow. But continuing to drive with the oil pressure warning lamp on, despite the very strong warnings that are in EVERY car owner's manual against doing so, transfers the responsibility for the consequential damages to YOU.

Now, go pull out that dipstick and see what's on it.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
YES! Shut down immediately and get towed to the stealership. Otherwise, you can be looking at a fried engine, which might just mean scrapping the car.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts