Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
I have a Smart Cabrio CDI 2002 with 118060,527 miles.
I have from some times some oil losses and my mechanic said that there is oil in the Intercooler tube,is it probably that the turbine is going to break?
Thanks

·
Registered
8,970 Posts
...I don't think it's going to break....by the oil in the intercooler it already broke...
...your turbo needs a new carbon seal/rotor..

Jetfuel....next...

·
Registered
218 Posts
Wait... if my brain math is correct, even if the car is 2002, that’s more than 20,000 miles a day. That’s over 800 miles per hour! Where are you driving?! That’s quite the Autobahn!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
...I don't think it's going to break....by the oil in the intercooler it already broke...
...your turbo needs a new carbon seal/rotor..

Jetfuel....next...
Is it worth changing the core assey,or should I buy a new turbo?
Wait... if my brain math is correct, even if the car is 2002, that’s more than 20,000 miles a day. That’s over 800 miles per hour! Where are you driving?! That’s quite the Autobahn!
I intended to write 118,000 Miles,i'm Sorry but we use KM so I converted it to miles

·
Registered
26 Posts
Biggermens, your number is quite impressive!

And some say our beloved smart can't go the LONG HAUL?
Ya, i am kinda surprised that little motor last that long, but its pretty tired
I Picked up a wrecked Brabus with 40,000 Miles on it, gonna put the motor ect.. in my rag top ( The Chicks Dig a Red Convertible )
My other parts car has 150000 Miles on it, until the General its to late warning light went on, by then it was to late :( hehe

·
Registered
8,970 Posts
...it is always economical to replace the faulty component rather than the whole assy...
...find the turbo brand and check around the web for a seal kit...find a local shop that can and has done this type of work before...

Jetfuel...no biggie...

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Smarty pants!

No mention of oil catch can???

·
Registered
218 Posts
I know, I know... I’m a jerk. I will go to confession. (No, I’m not kidding)

Sorry if I rattled anyone’s chain. I’m generally not a troll. It was only meant in good fun.

·
Registered
920 Posts
I think the OP has a problem with his turbo seals that should be investigated first. Catch cans will work in a worn engine but in a healthy engine should capture minimal amounts of fluids unless the engine is being run hard, with multiple and continuous instances of getting off the throttle at very high RPMs like would happen during a track day.

A catch can was one of the first things I put on my Corvette. In normal driving that includes significant numbers of hard accelerations but no track time, I'll see an ounce or two of a very dark, tarry liquid after a few thousand miles. A full track day, with six or seven 20 minute sessions, will fill the catch can with three or four ounces of a more oily fluid.

For grins, I did temporarily hook up a catch can to our Rav4 that has the 2GR-FE V6 motor but it was bone dry, with only a very light oily film on the inside of the can after about 500 miles.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So guys,I controlled today the auto with 2 mechanics,we controlled the intercooler tube and the turbo but there isn't much oil in it and in the turbo.
The oil loss should come from over the head engine and there is a little crack to the head engine,but they advice me to not get off the engine because there can be a lot of trouble with all that miles!
Thanks to all the people that helped me :)
Arrivederci

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
After a long time I write again.
I continue to have oil loss,I think it's coming from the tube under the EGR valve (maybe O-Ring?)
Is it possible?
Thanks

·
King of Smart Gadgetry
1,049 Posts
As an engine ages the gaskets and seals become hard with heat and age and can begin to leak. Using synthetic oil which pours very easily also aggrevates the problem. The other side to the two-edged sword is that as the engine gets more miles the rings on the pistons wear and that causes more blow by pressure to leak into the crankcase. That pressure leads to even more oil leakage through gaskets and seals. If the engine is consuming oil it is so easy to accidently run the engine low on oil and that oil starvation can lead to even more ring wear. It's a viscous cycle. It's even worse for our Smarts because to check the oil you have to open the hatch, clear out all manner of clutter and open the engine hatch. Why couldn't they have made access to the dipstick easier? Ha ha. DCO

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
I thought viscosity has a little to do with oil loss? Then the same viscosity synthetic and conventional should technically leak the same. Maybe if the conventional oil starts to thicken quicker then less leaking... This question of mine always irks my mind....

·
King of Smart Gadgetry
1,049 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts