Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
chance my oil today and was wondering what this mesh does. it might be to filter something but what?

If any one does palm reading can you tell me some good coming...lol

·
Super Moderator
11,214 Posts
If you had a large enough particle inside the motor, i suppose it could cover the oil pickup hoe and suction could seal it in place causing the oil pump to run out of oil, but the chances of that happening are pretty remote. The only thing I could think of would be the metal seal on the bottles of oil, but that would most likely just lay in the bottom of the oil pan and not cause any problems, If it even got that far. ore likely it would end up inside the to of the motor(where the oil goes in )

Anything smaller than the screen would be handled by the oil filter.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
It will catch ring pieces, pistons and bearing inserts. As any vintage air cooled VW owner knows, the wire mesh filter was the only oil filter.

·
Super Moderator
11,214 Posts
that was a much finer mesh, and if you have ring pieces floating around in the motor, oil screen is the least of your problems!! maybe a few chunks of valve seals...

besides, those old VW's never had the oil stay in them long enough to get dirty!

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
We had one member did find that silver seal at the top of a oil bottle when he changed his own oil. That could have been sucked up, and did some blocking in the engine if he did not have that Screen... ALL car have some sort of Screen on the intake from a oil pan...
He posted a Pic for us to see...

·
Registered
4,297 Posts
The screen is to protect the oil pump from inhaling something that might destroy it or at the very least create extra clearance in the pump, decreasing pressure & flow... Seem to remember BB Benz found aluminum foil (seal from an oil bottle) on his screen when he changed the oil one time...The oil filter is after the pump and most likely will catch what the pump passes on except the filter has an internal bypass... During cold start ups and condition of the filter its possible the bypass is open...
Like Chumly said, if there is something in the crankcase big enough for the screen to stop there is probably other issues...The screen is a safety net, probably the same reason they have bypassing filters... Dirty oil is better than no oil...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts