Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
to what advantage is the screen on the drain plug, only catching large chunks of metal....and if you have that your motor is toast. I was thinking of taking it off and epoxy a magnet to the bolt or find one that would fit in the screen.

·
Super Moderator
11,297 Posts
I could never figure out how anything large enough for the screen to catch would get into the motor. If there was something that large from inside, the motor would be in bad shape.

·
Registered
815 Posts
I guess Mitsubishi would be the ones to ask. What other applications besides the Mirage was this engine used for? Perhaps it's just a carryover.
OR
Maybe it's there to give old farts something to wonder and contemplate about.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I resemble that remark! Yesterday, I noticed the same thing, the screen is quite course, probably would not catch small tiny bits of metal.
That prompted me to examine the drained oil closely. I ran a magnet through the old oil, the old filter, and the inlet of the drain plug... nothing found!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I wouldn't think they would put it there if it didn't serve a purpose. Big corporations cut pennies to save money. Yes it might be less than a dollar to make that part but you have to multiply that by how many of these engines Mitsubishi made. I would guess with the multiple applications it's no small number.

·
Registered
313 Posts
to what advantage is the screen on the drain plug, only catching large chunks of metal....and if you have that your motor is toast. I was thinking of taking it off and epoxy a magnet to the bolt or find one that would fit in the screen.

The screen on the end of the oil drain plug is there because this is also the oil-pickup. If too fine it risks being plugged by an accumulation of sludge... on those engines where one never does an oil change. I'd guess the sizing is to protect the oil pump from ingesting anything big enough to damage it. The oil filter then removes the fine stuff.

Don't remove the screen, just clean it if necessary when performing an oil change.

~toaster

·
Premium Member
2,905 Posts
IIRC, years ago a member lost the foil cap of an oil bottle into the filler neck during an oil change and found it on that filter during the next oil change .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts