Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the past year or so, my 08 has had an annoying oil leak....seep really. at the surface where the oil pan is bolted on at the rear of the crankcase. It wasn't enough to ammount to anything as far as oil leakage goes, but it was annoying and enough to leave several drops of oil on the garage floor overnight and leave an oily smear on the pan. There are three bolts visible on the backside of the pan and the first thing I did was tighten them as much as I dared, which accomplished nothing. Next, after thoroughly cleaning the mating surface and bolt heads, I drove about 10 miles and let it set overnight. Next morning the 3 bolt heads and the joint had a film of oil on them, withl the most seeming to be on the middle bolthead. I cleaned it again and removed all three bolts....the center one was oily. Since the bolts do not go thru into the crancase, I figured the oil had to be leaking thru the mating surfaces into lthe bolt hole. I put a fiber washer on all three bolts and reinstalled them. NO MORE OIL LEAK!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts