Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone give me a quick answer on what oil viscosity I need for my 2008 Passion (non-turbo)
I’ll explain later why I don’t have time to look for it in the archives!!!

·
Super Moderator
17,697 Posts
Generic answer is 0w40 Mobil 1.

Long answer is consult your owner's manual, because what weight you really should use depends on your climate. 0w40 should cover most smart owners in the US, though.

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank You Miss Mercedes!
Wait until you hear the story behind this posting!!!

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, Here we go!
I found this 2008 Passion with 31K miles on the internet.
I negotiated a fair price for it knowing it probably would need a motor.
Len Sokoloff, who lives in the area agreed to go out and take a look at the car. Len being an EV kind of a guy gave it a once over from an aesthetic point of view. This was, to me, as important as a compression test or a test drive. If the car was clean and looked after, I could fix the rest. The mileage was very low (31,xxx miles).
So after a little wait, I made my journey to Wilmington, North Carolina with my “little” trailer in tow to fetch my new to me smart car!
When I arrived the car looked as Len had described. I was pleased! I left last Tuesday, arrived in Wilmington on Wednesday and was back home in East China, MI on Thursday early afternoon.
When we loaded the car on the trailer, it was easy to push up onto the trailer, it being so light and in neutral.
When I arrived home, my wife and I had a heck of a time rolling the car off of the trailer. The yard helper had put the car in park and left the ignition in the on or run position! Well by the time I had arrived at home the battery was dead! So, I did my best to get to the exposed battery and get a charger to try and put a little charge into the battery so I could, at least, get the trans into neutral. Nope! Best I got was reverse (I think). So, as we pushed we were turning the motor! Well, this at least proved something, that the motor wasn’t seized up!
Friday was a fact finding type of a day. I was able to call the previous (and also original) owner. He was pleased that someone got the car before it was parted out. He’s in the process of sending me all of the information he has including the window sticker and all of the maintenance records.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, I was trying to formulate a plan of attack. When the battery wouldn’t charge (7 years old) I ran off and got another battery. I installed it and did the “three bars of death dance. Lo and behold it worked! It removed the three bars, gave me a nice big P and all the other letters and numbers I wanted to see!

I was feeling lucky so I gave the key a spin and it scared me as the motor spun and started! I quickly shut it off composed myself, then started it again. I didn’t tell you, that the dip stick showed NO OIL! I let it run, maybe for ten seconds then shut it off. That’s when I called out to the masses to find a quick answer to the headline question. Miss Mercedes was the first to respond, and I thank her for that!

I went to the auto parts store and got my oil and filter and came home filled the engine and replaced the filter and fired it up again, and let it run. Everything is fine, no check engine lights or anything! Thank you Miss Mercedes for your quick reply!

This ends this chapter of my saga!
There is at least one more chapter!
Stay tuned!

Larry in East China Mi

·
Super Moderator
1,837 Posts
Great find, great story. Was glad to help out a tiny bit.

None of my Smarts never have had any oil, so I'm not sure why your car needs it. :)

Keep us posted as you learn about your new car. Enjoy!!

Len
2014 EV Coupe 22,000 miles
2014 EV Cabriolet 23,000 mikes
2015 EV Coupe 21,000 miles

·
Registered
2009 451 Rally Red, Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-40, Wix XP 51356, 185/55R15 tires, 44 psl
1,072 Posts

·
Registered
2009 451 Rally Red, Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-40, Wix XP 51356, 185/55R15 tires, 44 psl
1,072 Posts
Oil filter...

Oil filter is usually a Fram 6607 or equivalent,
but a Fram 7317 is a half an inch linger,
and increases the oil capacity to 4 quarts,

I am running a Wix 51356 XP...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts